Recommend a decent multitool

I've always wanted a multitool or two. Maybe one in the house and one in the car. I have a couple that I would say are junk. I can't justify paying $80. It doesn't have to be a leatherman... just something that won't break in my hand if I need to use the screwdriver or whatever.  Oh, it doesn't have to have scissors, but if it does, they have to actually work. 

I've broken more than one of the cheapos...learned quickly that they are a black hole for your money. I also lost a really good Gerber back when they first came out with the ones where the pliers slide out the end. I have a 20+ yr old Leatherman that I can't seem to wear out. If I lost/broke the Leatherman, I'd buy another...hands down my favorite.

I've got a SOG, Gerber, and Leatherman.  The SOG feels like it's better made, it's parts open and close smoother than the other two.  However I've only broken free cheep versions.  The Gerber and Leatheman have held up nicely.

I've really liked my leatherman Ti Wave. I think I've had it since 03. It has been thoroughly abused in many different arenas. Used for automotive, home, and outdoors purposes. It even disappeared for two years in the bottom of a bike pack. It was corroded beyond belief with two years of sweat and water. I ride ALOT, and forgot it was in there because it fell out of my emergency kit and was wedged underneath the pack cover. It cleaned up very nicely and I still use it multiple times a week and often for uses it was not intended. 

My two pieces of advice:

1. Get one where every tool locks open in some way

2. Get one with the blades accessible when the tool is closed. 

Look at this as a tool you're investing in. I have 2 leatherman, and a SOG. All are in good shape after years of use in the truck, bike, and tool box. 

Advice from all the other responses is all good. It's an investment that will be worth it.

I love my Skeletool.  It is small enough to fit in your pocket and still has great features.  Mine has a non-sedated blade and some carbon fiber parts.  It costs a bit more, but the staight edge was worth it.  You can pick up the standard model for around 30 dollars.  Bottle opener is never a bad thing to have on hand.

98e58f5ba23c1f9fbe807a563f354213_zpsezvf

0b3b101d7fcfb68248b909a9085d9e13_zpsxxtd

i also have the Wave.  It is great, but I don't carry it every day.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure I'm in the minority....but I don't like them.

A good set of pliers, a multi screw driver and a good knife serves me better than my multi tools.

i do carry a tiny leather man style, small tweezers and eyeglass screwdriver. Again, they work better than multi tools

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Gerbers...I've got the older kind that you can open, operate and put away with one hand. I got my first one as a gift...bought my second when I broke a knife blade prying up a piece of hardwood....I keep mine on my hip 24/7.

I've lost track of how many multi tools I've gone through....they all eventually break, but my Leathermans have generally held up better than my Gerbers. As someone else noted these things can't beat a designated knife, pliers, and screw driver, but they are a lot more convenient to carry around, which means I usually end up using them for tasks that really need the right tool.... which is why I keep breaking them. Be found the Gerber files do not hold up at all as large flathead screwdrivers, and I've had several Gerber pliers snap when grasping something and twisting it at the same time.