Ford vs. GM trucks

Sam1

That's something we can't have on this side of the pond. And I agree with Caster... Can't fit much back there. IMHO, if the cab is bigger than the bed, it ain't a pickup.  Truth be known (and call me a redneck) I'd rather have an El Camino. :) 

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Wingshooter said:

Mine gets me from A to B and it's paid for. I'd  like to have another,  but I'll likely drive it for a while as long as it holds up :)  2005 Ram 1500 4x4 Hemi 200k miles.

You might be driving it for a while then.  1997 Dodge 1500 4x4 5.2l, 360000 and counting ...

• Like 1
3 hours ago, No_0ne said:

You might be driving it for a while then.  1997 Dodge 1500 4x4 5.2l, 360000 and counting ...

Nice.

I also have a 1994 Ram 1500 4x4 reg cab with the 5.2 that runs well, but it only has 245k. It only gets used around the farm now since the dash pretty much disintegrated, lol. I need to fix that dash so I can sell it for some ATV money. 

Once I made the switch to bigger trucks 3/4 and ton trucks, I could never go back to the  

No one really wins the Ford vs. Chevy vs Dodge debate, except the truck dealers.  But if one really wants to know, a good litmus test is trade in value and re-sale value.  I believe if I am not mistaken Ford has dominated this segment for many decades, followed by GM and finally Dodge (they are not close). 

Resell isn’t even a factor to me. I don’t trade vehicles in, I sell the outright. So 4% difference isn’t a big deal. (The difference between a Chevy Silverado and a Toyota Tundra.)

They are like guns; their condition and how they were maintained means more than anything. And can certainly make more than 4% difference.

I care that they are as American manufactured as I can get. (Manufactured not assembled) Although I know that is hard to do these days.

I choose not to pay cash; so I look when the vehicle I want is offered at 0% financing. That’s real money and a good discount even against the best bank rates.

I care what options it has.

And then I care who has it at the best price. Finding a Chevy is easy; you can build it and then find it on the web. I assume others do that as well. When I bought my Suburban it was at a dealer in Alabama. When I bought my last Silverado it was on the dealer’s lot in Franklin.

There is a huge difference between dealers and service. My last truck was a 2005 Chevy diesel 350,000mi and I gave it to my son still going. When I was looking I looked at them all. Chevy won again because of the dealer being willing to work with me. They located a suitable truck and negotiated a reasonable price. One town away another Chevy dealer wanted 6k more for the exact same truck. I have friends with all brands and they have all had issues. I'm thankful that mine have been minor and I run them hard towing trailers about 1/2 the time. The rest is just lots of miles especially now. I change the fluids and filters more often than needed and use the best filters I can get.

You get what you pay for and that includes the maintenance! YMMV so to speak...

I've owned 3 7.3 Powerstroke trucks. My current one is an '01 I've had for 6 years with 230K. I've never had this many problems out of any truck, I just got back from TN in it and wasn't sure it was going to make it. Not condemning the 7.3 as an engine, but this particular truck has been pretty bad. 

My next will be a Dodge or maybe a Chevy. Work gave me a 2016 Chevy 3500 work truck, it's a little different but not a bad truck at all. There's a local dealer with Dodge 4500/5500 trucks for under $56k too, which seems like a darn good deal. 

My sister has a 15 aluminum F150 and uses it daily for work.  Stuff is thrown into the bed (with no liner) on a regular basis and stuff has fallen into it.  No a single puncture.  

Important to remember that the video in the OP was produced by Chevy.  You think Chevy is going to try for any other result.  

And also, those trucks are higher trim levels.  I spend a lot of time on dealer lots.  You'd be hard pressed to find those same trucks on a lot without a liner.  

I had a 2009 F150, and the results don't surprise me. That damned truck dented when you looked at it wrong. You could see the sheet metal flex when you shut the door. When a kid put a deep and perfectly round, (and deep), dent in the tailgate with his bicycle handlebar I got rid of it.

19 minutes ago, 56FordGuy said:

My last two (2014 and 2016) Chevy 3500s do the same thing. Seems like an effort to reduce weight in the name of fuel mileage.

My 2014 RAM 2500 doesn't do it anywhere near what the Ford F150 did. I'm sure it is an effort to reduce weight, but damn it's a noticeable difference.

16 hours ago, 56FordGuy said:

My last two (2014 and 2016) Chevy 3500s do the same thing. Seems like an effort to reduce weight in the name of fuel mileage.

CAFE standards are getting ridiculous.  Manufacturers are looking at losing the side view mirrors to increase aerodynamic efficiency and help meet CAFE standards but they have to get the laws changed first.  

Ford was first but don't be surprised when GM and Chrysler start using aluminum and smaller engines.  Fleet sales hurt regular consumers because it skews sales figures for CAFE standards. 

3 hours ago, Capbyrd said:

CAFE standards are getting ridiculous.  Manufacturers are looking at losing the side view mirrors to increase aerodynamic efficiency and help meet CAFE standards but they have to get the laws changed first.  

Ford was first but don't be surprised when GM and Chrysler start using aluminum and smaller engines.  Fleet sales hurt regular consumers because it skews sales figures for CAFE standards. 

I looked closely at the ecoboost V-6 engine Ford is using and had a '97 F-150 with the Vortex V-6 engine in it once. There's plenty of power for everyday driving, comminuting, people hauling and most cargo and towing. If I had been in the market for a standard 2WD truck I'd have gone that route. But for a Supercrew 4x4 I wanted the added torque and power of a V-8.

I'm in agreement with those here who don't care for the diesel engine Ford uses and who prefer a 3/4 or 1 ton truck for the applications where they mentioned using them. Were I in the market for a 3/4 or 1 ton 4x4 diesel engine truck I'd more then likely be more interested in the Dodge strictly because of its available diesel engine.

My BIL works for a large heavy equipment operation and has always been a diehard Ford product user. His personal experience with a diesel engine F-350 4x4 soured him on that engine. As a result when the shop he manages replaced some of its service trucks they went with Dodge. People are very much influenced by a bad product experience.

On June 10, 2016 at 11:22 AM, Caster said:

Granted it's a car not a truck, but....

toyota-chevy-1.jpg

toyota-chevy-3.jpg

Chevy Belair with a 358CI Toyota Nascar engine.  That is badazz!

Most of those old cars, even in their original state,  were more truck than most of the trucks of today.  LOL