Some of my BBQ pit pictures

I just fired up my old school BBQ pit that I built a few years ago from scratch. I got two pork shoulders cooking right now . LOW AND SLOW at 220 degrees. Here are some pics of my burn barrel that I burn my wood in and then the pit .

pit2_zpsze1nmwrd.jpg

pit1_zpspypithul.jpg

• Like 9

I will post some pictures of the meat after it's done. I started at 6 am today . It usually takes me 15 hours but last year I cut the shoulders into three pieces each and it speeds up cooking time and also gets more smoke on the meat that way. So it should take me around 7-8 hours.

Always wanted to get into smoking meat.  Nice looking pit.

I grilled some today and fried chicken in lard & a cast iron skillet over a gas flame like grandma used to.  The electric stove in the house sucks for that.  Thank goodness my grill has a nice eye on the side.  Lard rules.  Makes good biscuits too.  Chicken, biscuits and Miller.  Every day should be Sunday.  

• Like 3

After we bought our house last summer the wife talked me into getting a grill. Now it is rather shameful to admit, but I had minimal prior grilling experience.

I have spent nearly every Sunday since March (and several Saturdays, a few Fridays and even a Thursday or two) grilling out.

We have done pork chops, pork roasts, cod wrapped in cedar, hamburgers, hotdogs, steak, chicken, a couple of racks of ribs, god knows home much corn, clams, brats, potatoes, sweet potatoes...

Hell I have lost count. And I don't know how I lived before this.

For the record we use charcoal.

• Like 3
  • Authorized Vendor
1 hour ago, tercel89 said:

Here ya go after 8 hrs , I figured in this time of crappy news of shootings we could all use some good ole pictures of homemade BBQ pork .

pit3_zpsksupvqts.jpg

pit4_zpsgncrtbgp.jpg

Daaaaaamn......that looks right tasty.:up:

• Like 2

That looks danged good.  I fired my smoker (I use an offset smoker so I don't have to use a burn barrel  but I do like your old school setup) over the Memorial Day weekend and did a brisket, a pork butt and some chicken breasts.  I made a tomato based sauce for the beef and a vinegar based for the pork.  I have pics of the brisket but don't want to hijack your thread.

I actually still have some of the meat left.  I put part of the pork and chicken in the freezer and have the remaining brisket with me to stick in the fridge at work to make sandwiches a day or two this week.  I am glad I have some of mine left because that helps me resist the urge to take a bite out of the computer screen when I look at the pic of yours.

Edited by JAB
On 6/12/2016 at 5:19 PM, tercel89 said:

Here ya go after 8 hrs , I figured in this time of crappy news of shootings we could all use some good ole pictures of homemade BBQ pork .

pit3_zpsksupvqts.jpg

pit4_zpsgncrtbgp.jpg

That looks damn good!! You sell that by the pound?

• Like 2
  • Moderators
On 6/12/2016 at 6:19 PM, tercel89 said:

pit3_zpsksupvqts.jpg

pit4_zpsgncrtbgp.jpg

Oh my.  I am so hungry now.  Dang... Great looking meat. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, 06sandstone said:

Nice looking pit. I've just got a small smoker. 

Saturaday i bought a rib rack and Sunday I tried some spare ribs .

image.jpg2_zpsjrmflqza.jpg

That's a neat idea, where did you find it and how did it work?  I've always had to wrap ribs in foil to keep them from drying out. 

On June 12, 2016 at 3:27 PM, dhominator said:

Man, reminds me of the good times we used to have at family reunions. Can practically smell it from here :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Likewise.   We used to do a whole hog every year but we just don't have the attendance anymore to go that far.  Now its a few shoulders and some ribs.  but still good times. 

• Like 3

Man... loving the old school pit... I have a hankerin to smoke a whole hog. Not sure I'm ambitious enough to do it on July 4th in the heat but this fall I'm going to build a pit out at the property and camp out and smoke one... I just took down a bunch of hickory trees to clear an area for my septic. I think I will go ahead and chop some and split it to get it ready for this fall...

Mark

• Like 2
9 hours ago, peejman said:

That's a neat idea, where did you find it and how did it work?  I've always had to wrap ribs in foil to keep them from drying out. 

Forget the foil.  Wrap them in cheesecloth and keep the cheesecloth damp with the liquid of your choice - I like a vinegar/water mix because it gives a nice 'tangy' base for my home made dry rub which I put on after the meat comes off the smoker.  Vinegar, water and apple juice are a nice mix to use on pork, too and I used a vinegar, water and white cranberry juice mix the one time I smoked a whole turkey.  Just leave the cheesecloth on the entire time - the smoke still gets to the meat but it doesn't dry out.  You may feel like you are unwrapping a mummy when all is said and done but it works really, really well.  You won't get as much of a 'bark' but you will get plenty of smoke and a nice color on the surface - and you will likely still get some 'bark'.  Of course, I am talking about doing the ribs over very indirect heat (as in my offset smoker.)  I don't think the cheesecloth would work out too well directly over a flame/heat.  I'd like to have one of those rib racks for use on the grill but probably wouldn't ever use one on the smoker, myself (not that there is anything wrong with it.)

I use the cheesecloth method for just about everything I smoke - at least when I remember to get cheesecloth.  For ribs, roasts and so on just wrap a couple of layers around it and make sure it is entirely covered.  For chicken breasts, I lay those directly on the cooking grid and then just cover them with a piece of cheesecloth.  Just remember to keep the cheesecloth damp - although once it really gets started the juices from the meat will sometimes help dampen the cloth which makes it sort of 'self basting'.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 2

Cheesecloth.... I know I've heard that trick before. I have a small vertical smoker and ribs are the only thing I've had problems with drying out. Anything else that came out dry I just plain over cooked. 

I'll keep an eye out for one of those racks. 

19 hours ago, peejman said:

Cheesecloth.... I know I've heard that trick before. I have a small vertical smoker and ribs are the only thing I've had problems with drying out. Anything else that came out dry I just plain over cooked. 

I'll keep an eye out for one of those racks. 

I think I have probably extolled the virtues of cheesecloth on the forum, before.

• 3 weeks later...