Some of my BBQ pit pictures

On 6/13/2016 at 7:56 PM, 06sandstone said:

Nice looking pit. I've just got a small smoker. 

Saturaday i bought a rib rack and Sunday I tried some spare ribs .

image.jpg2_zpsjrmflqza.jpg

image.jpg1_zpsonu3wzsj.jpg

My dad has one of those Oklahoma Joe grills. I love that thing! 

I just picked up a knock-off Egg at Lowes.

Char-Griller AKORN 20-in Kamado Charcoal Grill

http://www.lowes.com/pd/Char-Griller-AKORN-20-in-Kamado-Charcoal-Grill/3609214

When I get time to assemble it and cook, I'll post up if it works well or not. :up: 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, JohnC said:

My dad has one of those Oklahoma Joe grills. I love that thing! 

I just picked up a knock-off Egg at Lowes.

Char-Griller AKORN 20-in Kamado Charcoal Grill

http://www.lowes.com/pd/Char-Griller-AKORN-20-in-Kamado-Charcoal-Grill/3609214

When I get time to assemble it and cook, I'll post up if it works well or not. :up: 

I was gonna buy one of those but its not a ceramic grill.  I was really looking forward to it.  But its just thin stamped sheet metal with a ceramic coating.  I figure it probably works ok but won't be as good or as long lasting as a kamado joe or big green egg.  

I have a Kamado Joe and my buddy has a BGE.  Neither of us have taken ours in during the winter and haven't had an issue.  If you go with a BGE or Kamado Joe, I highly recommend the Joetisserie.  It is made by KJ, but it will fit either the normal KJ or Large BGE.  This is a couple of chickens I did.  Literally, best chicken I have ever had.  Also, even if you don't have a KJ or BGE,  the Kamado Joe charcoal is killer.  I have tried others and my buddy has had his BGE for about 5 years and he agrees on the charcoal.

IMG_0414.JPG

You guys inspired me tonight. Time for a filet and asparagus.

bcbebb2904d9728f078182b4c5dc7478.jpg

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 4
On July 6, 2016 at 0:12 PM, 06sandstone said:

I was talking with a guy last weekend and he's got the one posted above. 

He loves it. 

He stated," The egg your supposed to take it in during the winter and the one posted above can be left outside".

Im not sure just thought I'd mention it. 

From the big green egg website.  

YOU CAN cook in every season, in any weather … even in the rain or snow

Thanks to its high-tech ceramic composition, an EGG will endure extreme temperature differences and can maintain internal temperatures irrespective of the weather. You will find yourself using your EGG in all seasons. Want a perfectly roasted turkey in the middle of winter … no problem!

However, do not leave an unused EGG open or with the cap removed, and never allow rain or snow to enter an unused EGG. Should the interior of an EGG get wet, dry completely then light a small amount of charcoal and allow the EGG to heat very gradually to not more than 350°F / 177°C to slowly burn off any residue or moisture.

We don't get snow and if it's latched closed, rain ain't gettin in.  

Yes a closed egg is water tight. I have a cheap grill cover over my BGE and it was out all last winter. Dry inside. Mine has been uncovered in heavy rain and it's never let a drop in.

I've had a large egg for many, many years and got a Joe Jr last August at Costco.  Have hardly used the BGE since as we're empty nesters.  However I decided to do a clean burn to clear out the egg after several months of non use.  What a mess oozing out of the egg.  Was really ugly surface, so egg will absorb moisture from atmospheric humidity and the high heat drove ugly unburned stuff along with the moisture out through pores in the egg.  Looks fine now but was pretty obnoxious looking at the time.

Use the egg somewhat on a regular basis and no problems.

Did ribs on the egg last Monday - very good.

If anyone in this area wants to get together and share recipes or just cook on the egg, let me know.  Cooking is always a good excuse to get together.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2016 at 5:33 PM, Hozzie said:

I have a Kamado Joe and my buddy has a BGE.  Neither of us have taken ours in during the winter and haven't had an issue.  If you go with a BGE or Kamado Joe, I highly recommend the Joetisserie.  It is made by KJ, but it will fit either the normal KJ or Large BGE.  This is a couple of chickens I did.  Literally, best chicken I have ever had.  Also, even if you don't have a KJ or BGE,  the Kamado Joe charcoal is killer.  I have tried others and my buddy has had his BGE for about 5 years and he agrees on the charcoal.

Where do you buy the Kamado Joe Charcoal?  I have tried the cheap stuff 'Roal Oak' and it's not near as good as the BGE brand.  I'd like to get a bag of the KJ brand to try

2 minutes ago, Lumber_Jack said:

Where do you buy the Kamado Joe Charcoal?  I have tried the cheap stuff 'Roal Oak' and it's not near as good as the BGE brand.  I'd like to get a bag of the KJ brand to try

There is a place in Columbia on the square called Southern Exposure that carries it and Lynn's patio in Hendersonville.  There are a couple of Ace Hardware's that carry Kamado Joe's that may also have it.  I think the one in Mt Juliet has it.   Check the Kamado Joe website and give them a call as the other two are a bit out of the way from Nashville.

The absolute best deal on it is at Costco when they have Kamado Joe in for a weekend.  It's usually 2 for 1, but unfortunately they were just at the one in Cool Springs a month or so ago.

• Like 1
Just now, Hozzie said:

There is a place in Columbia on the square called Southern Exposure that carries it and Lynn's patio in Hendersonville.  There are a couple of Ace Hardware's that carry Kamado Joe's that may also have it.  I think the one in Mt Juliet has it.   Check the Kamado Joe website and give them a call as the other two are a bit out of the way from Nashville.

The absolute best deal on it is at Costco when they have Kamado Joe in for a weekend.  It's usually 2 for 1, but unfortunately they were just at the one in Cool Springs a month or so ago.

Thanks, I'll see if I can run some down. Does Costco advertise prior to the KJ visits? or just happen to be there?