Muhammad Ali

Learned a little today.  Don't mean to soil his memory but there's a good bit insanity here.

Born Cassius Marcellus Clay Jr.  Both him and his father were named after Cassius Marcellus Clay.  A republican abolitionist who fought hard to end slavery and was attacked more than once over the matter.  Founded the Kentucky republican party.  A black man couldn't ask for a better friend in those days.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassius_Marcellus_Clay_(politician)

Then, Ali changed his name to Muhammad Ali.  Muhammad the founder of Islam and Ali Talib, Muhammads brother inlaw/cousin.  Both notorious for owning, selling and trading in the slave business.

That's absolutely crazy.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators
Learned a little today.  Don't mean to soil his memory but there's a good bit insanity here.

Born Cassius Marcellus Clay Jr.  Both him and his father were named after Cassius Marcellus Clay.  A republican abolitionist who fought hard to end slavery and was attacked more than once over the matter.  Founded the Kentucky republican party.  A black man couldn't ask for a better friend in those days.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassius_Marcellus_Clay_(politician)

Then, Ali changed his name to Muhammad Ali.  Muhammad the founder of Islam and Ali Talib, Muhammads brother inlaw/cousin.  Both notorious for owning, selling and trading in the slave business.

That's absolutely crazy.

Yeah, I too read up on him the other day. Changed his name to "get rid of his slave name". Obviously involved with the Nation of Islam for a while. Interesting but mostly just ironic as you pointed out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've read through a lot of material related to Muhammad Ali over the years and have my own personal opinion of the man.He was an exceptional showman and gifted athlete. Beyond that I'll say nothing else as he's now dead and gone.

10 hours ago, TNWNGR said:

I've read through a lot of material related to Muhammad Ali over the years and have my own personal opinion of the man.He was an exceptional showman and gifted athlete. Beyond that I'll say nothing else as he's now dead and gone.

THIS :)

First off, props for his support of many causes at least he gave back to the community:

Muhammad Ali has supported the following charities:

The thing I'll never understand though, the public gets so worked up over celebrities deaths as if their mother or father had died.  We lose men whom helped keep our country safe on a daily basis, some who gave their all in some instances yet they are nothing but a few lines in their local papers. 

Anyone note the passing of these men??

http://www.cmohs.org/

Hector A. Cafferata Jr. Passes Away
April 13, 2016
Hector A. Cafferata Jr. Passes Away

Hector A. Cafferata, Private in the U.S. Marine Corps, passed away on Tuesday, April 12nd. He was awarded the Medal of Honor for his extraordinary heroism, above and beyond the call of duty, in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service and the U.S. Naval Service.

Santiago J. Erevia Passes Away
March 22, 2016
Santiago J. Erevia Passes Away

Santiago J. Erevia, Sergeant in the U.S. Army, passed away on Tuesday, March 22nd. He was awarded the Medal of Honor for his extraordinary heroism and intrepidity , above and beyond the call of duty, in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service and the U.S. Army.

Tibor Rubin Passes Away
December 07, 2015

Tibor Rubin, Corporal in the U.S. Army, passed away on Saturday, December 5th. He was awarded the Medal of Honor for his gallant actions in close contact with the enemy and unyielding courage and bravery while a prisoner of war, in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service and the U.S. Army.