I've spent a lot of money at Academy Sports, but....

Meh, call me when PSA or Primary Arms pull AR's from their inventory.  Academy Sports has a lot more business to consider than just selling guns.  I don't think I've ever been in one of their stores, but I'm not going to hold this against them in the future.

• Like 2

A reasonably likely explanation is that someone realized how much they would piss people off that are a good demographic for them.

I remember that a few years ago Porsche hired a veteran from American car companies and put him in charge of sales. 

He did what American car companies do, which is slash prices to move cars.  The German CEO found out about this and fired him on the spot.  No discussion, no nothing. 

You boycotters are a hoot. I think we'd best stick by any outfit that sells firearms at all, 'cause there likely won't be nearly as many in the future as there are now.

Without going into a an often hashed out discussion, I'll just say that my go boom bucks remain largely "amoral". And yep, I still buy from CTD if their price is right.

- OS

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Wingshooter said:

How long 'till this database crashes? lol

I guess buying 9mm, 45acp, etc is totally different... not like you can shoot that from an AR or anything. Idiots

OK. That puts them at about 98 on the Fudd meter. Piss on 'em.

• Like 3

From what I was told tonight they did this after sandy hook too. Took guns down and put them under the shelf for about 10 days and then put them back up. Like I said earlier no one heard anything about the ammo issue. For what it's worth no one at the store level was pleased with the decision, the manager was Pissed. 

• Like 2

Well damn. The Academy here hasn't been open all that long and I was just starting to like it. Although I don't go there much. Their business is a lot more than just firearms though. There are quite a few liberal tree huggers out there than buy hiking, camping and exercise equipment. So while I don't agree with their decision, I can understand it.  Give it a month or two and I'm guessing that all those evil ARs will quietly sneak back on the shelves. 

BTW: I've never bought a firearm or ammo there. Their prices are too high. 

They could have just done like Cheaper than Dirt did with ammo during the Obama scare and tripled (or more) the price. Everyone swore off Cheaper than Dirt; but it appears they are doing fine. Price and availability seems to drive most people in the gun community.

I have never bought a gun at Academy; they have never had what I wanted. Same with ammo, when I went there they were out. So me not shopping there anymore would have zero impact on them.

TFB reached out to Academy Sports’ media department and has not received comment at this time, we will update as we learn more information.

But I think I’ll wait until I hear from them about what they are doing, and why, before I judge them.

• Like 1

With the recent example of the Target bathroom fiasco and the supposed stock hit, demonstrations, etc.  I can see where a company would be a little gun shy (pardon the pun).  As Dave says, I'd give this a little time to see how this pans out and their "official" stance before lighting the torches and sharpening the pitchforks.

10 hours ago, XxthejuicexX said:

From what I was told tonight they did this after sandy hook too. Took guns down and put them under the shelf for about 10 days and then put them back up. Like I said earlier no one heard anything about the ammo issue. For what it's worth no one at the store level was pleased with the decision, the manager was Pissed. 

I will have no problem with them if they keep selling ammo and take centerfire repeaters off their website and shelves for a couple of weeks.  We are their only customer demographic and it looks like they are trying to stay out of controversy until the dust settles.  Can't blame them for that.

• Like 2

Allegedly the Orlando store removed all AR platforms from site out of respect to the families and friends of the victims.  The plan was to return them to the shelves when things returned to some state of semi normal.  Someone one called Headquarters in Katy, Texas and complained about what the Orlando store did.  Higher ups at headquarters made decision to have all stores do the same out of respect. 

The stores in the Memphis followed suit of course.  They did not remove any ammo of any kind that I could tell.  There was plenty of .223 and 5.56 of all brands. 

What I did find interesting was I was in the Wolfchase Store Sunday looking for a specific Igloo Ice Chest.  I waltzed thru the Gun-Ammo department only to gawk but did notice they had many different brands and versions of .22 ammo stacked high and deep.  I went yesterday specifically to see if the AR’s were removed, and noticed over half of the .22 Ammo was gone, Which I found interesting.

12 hours ago, Oh Shoot said:

You boycotters are a hoot. I think we'd best stick by any outfit that sells firearms at all, 'cause there likely won't be nearly as many in the future as there are now.

Without going into a an often hashed out discussion, I'll just say that my go boom bucks remain largely "amoral". And yep, I still buy from CTD if their price is right.

- OS

I agree with your point in spirit. This is just one retailer and it's their decision to make and they didn't cave all the way in, just part of the way.

However, when it comes to OUR rights and MY principles, if we keep giving up inches, someone will start taking feet.

The reason the left gets their way on stuff like this is because they stick their guns, pun intended. If they gave up inches as often as we do, the NFA would be repealed by now and there'd be federally required reciprocity.

15 hours ago, Oh Shoot said:

- OS

That's some really worn out, rusty and twisted Leftist logic. It's almost like an intentional diversion from the reality we've all experienced and/or have seen with our own eyes.

Should we all support New York or California style restrictions on guns and magazines as well? Hey, they're not actually trying to ban all guns and all magazines—just a select few. We need all the support we can get, right? 10 rounds in a magazine is better than none, and it's not like they'd do something crazy like go on to push for an 8 or 7-round magazine ban and prohibit something as benign as an adjustable stock; or even something really crazy like try to make you get a background check when you buy a box of ammunition. Just a tiny step backward from one little retailer, no big deal.

Everyone is being irrational and blowing things out of proportion. You're the sagely voice of reason in a den full paranoid and hyperventilating reactionaries who just don't understand how the slippery slope of restrictions and bans work. Yeah, yeah, yeah.

Edited by Lincoln Osiris
11 minutes ago, Lincoln Osiris said:

That's some really worn out, rusty and twisted Leftist logic. It's almost like an intentional diversion from the reality we've all experienced and/or have seen with our own eyes.

Should we all support New York or California style restrictions on guns and magazines as well? Hey, they're not actually trying to ban all guns and all magazines—just a select few. We need all the support we can get, right? 10 rounds in a magazine is better than none, and it's not like they'd do something crazy like go on to push for an 8 or 7-round magazine ban and prohibit something as benign as an adjustable stock; or even something really crazy like try to make you get a background check when you buy a box of ammunition. Just a tiny step backward from one little retailer, no big deal.

Everyone is being irrational and blowing things out of proportion. You're the sagely voice of reason in a den full paranoid and hyperventilating reactionaries who just don't understand how the slippery slope of restrictions and bans work. Yeah, yeah, yeah.

Oh Shoot is anything but a leftist. But... I'm not gonna spoil all the fun. :) I'm guessing he has something to add.

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, mikegideon said:

Oh Shoot is anything but a leftist. But... I'm not gonna spoil all the fun. :) I'm guessing he has something to add.

He can call himself the second coming of Genghis Kahn for all I care. The logic that he uses is straight out of the anti-gun Leftist playbook.

6 minutes ago, Lincoln Osiris said:

He can call himself the second coming of Genghis Kahn for all I care. The logic that he uses is straight out of the anti-gun Leftist playbook.

Good gawd,  Spartacus.

Academy, Wal-Mart, Dick's, Gander, CTD etc are businesses -- you know, those entities who have to make a buck to continue to exist. Especially with the first three, firearms are far from their primary revenue sources. Indeed, Wally and Dick's run profitable stores with no firearms sales at all, CTD used to do the same, and I'm sure Gander and Academy could do likewise.

These places can run their affairs any way they like subject to the profit prognostications of their owners and/or the ROI for their stockholders.   If CTD wants to gouge prices during a panic, or if Dick's, Wally, and Academy want to hide or discontinue their scary black rifles, fine. Consumerism will validate or refute those decisions.  But it's unrealistic to ascribe some 2A responsibility on their part, they run their affairs via spreadsheet, and I run mine much the same in microcosm.

Just like my groceries or anything else, I'll generally buy most of what I want firearms related at the best overall value I can find. If those purchases happen to coincide with a shared ethos between me and the vendor, so much the better, but I don't absolutely require it let go of a buck.

Point is, above all I believe in free trade and competition -- you and I are free to patronize them or not -- bottom line for me is that the more places that sell firearms and ammo under any circumstances at all, the better for all of us, and at least indirectly, in support of 2A also. 

- OS

• Like 5

This thread is quite amusing.  A company takes a step back in light of potentially bad media and ya'll are ready to watch them go bankrupt.  Not that they will.  As big as they are, does anyone think they give two wags of a ratz azz what ya'll buy or don't?  

Likening Ohshoot to anything left or liberal is about as sane as saying Sanders has conservative leanings.  LOL!

I used the really stand on principle, support me or i don't support you.  Nowadays, I'd buy a rifle from the tallyban if I got a good enough deal on it.  

Edited by Caster
  • Like 1
18 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

I really want to weigh in here, but I'm intrigued so I'm just going to hold off.

I'm certain the chance will present itself before this thread is done...

As always, I look forward to hearing your views on this.

• Like 3