I've spent a lot of money at Academy Sports, but....

I don't really blame CTD or any other company for charging what the market will bear during a panic. That's capitalism, that's the free-market...like it or not.

Pulling guns off the shelf today that you had no qualms selling yesterday is a political decision, not a financial decision. I say this because they didn't have time to do a market analysis since Orlando happened. They haven't been threatened to be boycotted by any anti-gun groups since Orlando happened. They're just making a knee-jerk reaction IN ANTICIPATION of some kind of possible future backlash from the left. So, I don't see how it could be a financial decision instead of a political one.

It certainly says a lot about what they think about those who they hope to appease. They think the anti-gunners are too stupid to see through this pathetic ploy to brown-nose the left. As dumb as I think the gun grabbers are, I don't think they're dumb enough to think Academy cares or they wouldn't have been selling AR-15s yesterday.

It also says a lot about what they think of the pro-2A crowd. They either think our business can't be lost, despite this politically correct bull$hi+ or they think our numbers are too small to concern them or they think we will roll over and take it like we usually do. 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, BigK said:

I don't really blame CTD or any other company for charging what the market will bear during a panic. That's capitalism, that's the free-market...like it or not.

Pulling guns off the shelf today that you had no qualms selling yesterday is a political decision, not a financial decision. I say this because they didn't have time to do a market analysis since Orlando happened. They haven't been threatened to be boycotted by any anti-gun groups since Orlando happened. They're just making a knee-jerk reaction IN ANTICIPATION of some kind of possible future backlash from the left. So, I don't see how it could be a financial decision instead of a political one.

It certainly says a lot about what they think about those who they hope to appease. They think the anti-gunners are too stupid to see through this pathetic ploy to brown-nose the left. As dumb as I think the gun grabbers are, I don't think they're dumb enough to think Academy cares or they wouldn't have been selling AR-15s yesterday.

It also says a lot about what they think of the pro-2A crowd. They either think our business can't be lost, despite this politically correct bull$hi+ or they think our numbers are too small to concern them or they think we will roll over and take it like we usually do. 

Maybe they're just confused, As the Chinese say, "May you live in interesting times". 

We do indeed live in interesting times.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Oh Shoot said:

Good gawd,  Spartacus.

Academy, Wal-Mart, Dick's, Gander, CTD etc are businesses -- you know, those entities who have to make a buck to continue to exist. Especially with the first three, firearms are far from their primary revenue sources. Indeed, Wally and Dick's run profitable stores with no firearms sales at all, CTD used to do the same, and I'm sure Gander and Academy could do likewise.

These places can run their affairs any way they like subject to the profit prognostications of their owners and/or the ROI for their stockholders.   If CTD wants to gouge prices during a panic, or if Dick's, Wally, and Academy want to hide or discontinue their scary black rifles, fine. Consumerism will validate or refute those decisions.  But it's unrealistic to ascribe some 2A responsibility on their part, they run their affairs via spreadsheet, and I run mine much the same in microcosm.

Don't most of us have to make a buck to continue to exist? That certainly doesn't keep us from allowing politics to persuade or dissuade us from taking certain actions in life. I don't say anything about Walgreens or Best Buy not selling or displaying firearms, because they never have. It was never part of their business model. Academy, on the other hand, has devoted a sizable portion of their business to firearms and related merchandise. The consumerism that drove them to sell and display those scary black rifles in the first place can and should work against them when they all of a sudden decide to change direction. Whether they wanted to or not, they made it entirely political when they allowed the political climate to dictate their policy.

But if consumerism is supposed to validate or refute those decisions, like you said, then why the chiding toward the people attempting to refute the decision of Academy? You seem to think very highly of your own opinions and ability to validate or refute something, but hold little regard for anyone else attempting to do the same.

Just like my groceries or anything else, I'll generally buy most of what I want firearms related at the best overall value I can find. If those purchases happen to coincide with a shared ethos between me and the vendor, so much the better, but I don't absolutely require it let go of a buck.

That might be the biggest difference between my philosophy and yours. I'm willing to pay more for something if I see value in other aspects of supporting a business, besides just saving a buck. I go out of my way to buy many American made products, even though I have to do a little more work and spend more money to do so. Businesses often use their money and clout as leverage to push policies that help them, and I'm free to use my $$$$ as leverage as I see fit.

I'm not a consumerist robot. I realize that business has been intertwined with government and politics. The little Mom & Pop stores have been brushed aside to make way for corporations that have no true concern for any type of "community," only a concern for a bottom line. Rarely do you see large businesses and corporations that are completely apolitical when push comes to shove. You see more and more businesses going out of their way to stick their noses into hot-button topics and social issues. Anti-gunners and other Leftists have no problem trying to push businesses to conform to whichever direction the politically correct winds are blowing. Why shouldn't I be pushing right back?

Speaking of groceries, why do I spend a little more at Kroger than other places? Is it because of lower prices? Not really. Is it because more selections? Not really. Is it because it's the only place to buy groceries near me? Nope. It might have something to do with the fact that Kroger management told the Moms Demand Action yentas to take a long walk off a short pier. Kroger doesn't even sell guns or ammunition or anything like that. Yet mysteriously, I've allowed a decision on guns to affect how I support a business that only sells groceries. Why? Because currency has been weaponized and I have to be willing to use it if/when/where others are trying to use it against me.

Point is, above all I believe in free trade and competition -- you and I are free to patronize them or not -- bottom line for me is that the more places that sell firearms and ammo under any circumstances at all, the better for all of us, and at least indirectly, in support of 2A also. 

What you see as a "friendly" business that at least still has some overlap with the firearms community, I see as a corporation who's quick to buckle under pressure and cut off its nose to spite its face. There's currently no law prohibiting them from selling AR-15s or displaying them right in the middle of the store. There wasn't even enough time for them to gauge any kind of negative consumer reaction or decrease in sales. This is something that corporate HQ was clearly ready to do should they come under even the slightest scrutiny. I don't need friends like that. As a gun owner who loves my AR collection, I certainly don't want to rely on those types of entities or give them more support and leverage than they deserve. The idea that they pull scary black rifles from public display that quickly was actually a political statement that plays right into the hands of the gun grabbers. It was as much of a business decision as was Target's business decision to allow grown men to walk into a bathroom with your wife or daughter. Again, it's all become politics when you scratch the surface.

But you're right, you are free to patronize them and support them according to your own philosophy. I'm free to do the same. But you're not free to call into question my reluctance and personal boycott without getting some kind of negative reaction.

• Like 6

I haven’t been in here in a few hours. Did Academy make a statement? Have they had a policy change? Have they buckled under pressure?

They are a firearms dealer so they get the benefit of the doubt until something is proven.

• Like 1

Wow, I'm not educated enough to debate back and forth and really don't want to, all I said is I was not going back there. They do and should have the right to do whatever they want I just do not want to do business with anybody that flip flops, i got to stand for something. I think I better stay away from these kinds of threads. It's a hoot..:dropjaw:

23 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

I haven’t been in here in a few hours. Did Academy make a statement?

Nope.

Have they had a policy change?

Nope.

Have they buckled under pressure?

Not really, far as I can see.

They are a firearms dealer so they get the benefit of the doubt until something is proven.

Yup.

Best I can tell their Orlando locations took the stock off display in reverence to the victims families for a few days, then corporate had all locations follow suit as a gesture and to ensure continued uniformity, the latter being one of the primary focuses of big box retail corporations in my experience. 

1 hour ago, Lincoln Osiris said:

Don't most of us have to make a buck to continue to exist? That certainly doesn't keep us from allowing politics to persuade or dissuade us from taking certain actions in life. ...

Thanks for the somewhat unexpected detailed and reasoned response. I'm mainly glad you abandoned the ad hominem tendency in your previous posts, and if my opening comment characterizing boycotters' stance as a "hoot" fomented that, I apologize.

At any rate, I certainly ain't one to dissuade you folks from your convictions. "Putting one's money where one's mouth is" demonstrates a valid personal conviction , and if done in sufficient numbers can even certainly affect a business's practices and ultimately bottom line.

But the history of Walmart, Dick's, and CTD to name just three suggests it won't do either -- and as a consumer I hope that remains true. Meaning, I still buy stuff (including ammo of course) from Walmarts that gave up their gun racks, competitively priced stuff from CTD even though they have history of gouging, Ruger and Smith firearms even with their "anti-gun" political stances of the past, and etc. And I won't abandon Academy over what I see as a relatively minor matter either.

I just don't believe we're going to influence public policy/lawmaking by trying to punish the relatively few brick and mortar biggies that sell firearms in the first place, especially since that would only limit my own greedy options more than theirs. ;)

- OS

1 hour ago, DaveTN said:

I haven’t been in here in a few hours. Did Academy make a statement? Have they had a policy change? Have they buckled under pressure?

Here's apparently their internal memo, if you can read it with your screen resolution:

- OS

9 minutes ago, BigK said:

Nissan dealerships don't hide the Altimas when a drunk kills somebody with one.

Yeah, that would be an extension of anti-gunner logic. Taken even further:

A Muslim goes on a psychotic killing spree, declaring his loyalty to Islamic extremism. Do they scurry to hide the Muslims and make sure they are out of sight so as not to offend anyone now scared of Muslims? Nope. They immediately declare that this had nothing to do with Islam or Muslims, and any attempt to stigmatize an entire group because of the actions of one person is bigotry. Most Muslims are peaceful we are told. Then again, most AR-15 type firearms are never used to kill or injure another person.

I esentially stopped shopping at Dicks after their political response, but I had Academy and Sportsmans Warehouse right down the street. I never really liked Dicks that much beforehand, so it was easy to frequent the other stores instead. Now, I have Sportsmans Warehouse, Cabelas, and a new Basspro all within minutes of Academy. I'm not saying I will never go into Academy again because I like the store, but I will definately head to the other choices first.

1 hour ago, Oh Shoot said:

Here's apparently their internal memo, if you can read it with your screen resolution:

- OS

I would be grateful if someone with superior acuity to mine would tell me what it says.

I'll jump in here with a few general comments.

I'm as big a cheapskate as anyone, and I hate price gouging.  I'll probably never do business with CTD.  On the flip side I was was pleased at Kroger's response to Mom's Demand Action.  I'm in a similar situation to Lincoln in that my choices for grocery shopping are limited.

I'm willing to give Academy a little time to see what they do next.  I was surprised to find they are not a publicly traded company.  As such they have more leeway to take a political stand.  Publicly traded companies really don't have a lot of leeway to take political stands when it would clearly damage their profitability.  Their boards and executives have a fiduciary responsibility to maximize value for their shareholders.  I seriously doubt Kroger's board and/or executives felt like they were going out on a limb in opposition to MDA's demand.  As a contrast Target (among others) seems to have clearly dismissed the importance of traditionalist conservatives to their bottom line based on their stances on so many issues.  Best I can tell it really hasn't hurt them much.  Either those people don't care enough to change their buying habits, didn't really shop there to begin with, or aren't really hurting their business by staying away.  I thought they might be hurt more by their major credit card breach, but obviously not.

Tracy

10 hours ago, Ski said:

As a contrast Target (among others) seems to have clearly dismissed the importance of traditionalist conservatives to their bottom line based on their stances on so many issues.  Best I can tell it really hasn't hurt them much.  Either those people don't care enough to change their buying habits, didn't really shop there to begin with, or aren't really hurting their business by staying away.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Target's market cap has declined 20% since April. Even though their Q1 was decent for the most part, the stock continues on its downward roll. We'll know if the Target boycott has had any effect when Q2 and especially Q3 results are released and they have to reassure shareholders that the negative results are simply more bumps in the road. But the CEO won't be able to blame huge dips in sales on the weather, like he did with Q1.

This isn't happening with Walmart, Costco or any others—just Target.

• Like 1
On 6/14/2016 at 5:12 PM, gregintenn said:

I agree completely. I remember when Colt took the ar 15s off there list to sell to civilians. It was a butt kiss to Clinton so Uncle Sam would buy m-16s from them. Well, it didn't work and I've got a long memory. Sold the Colt that I had in the safe and won't have another one because of it. I'm going to add Academy to my list too. If they want to decide what kind of guns I can buy then I can decide where I'm not going to buy them.

Edited by Ray Z
Needed to add content
12 hours ago, Ski said:

I would be grateful if someone with superior acuity to mine would tell me what it says.

Really don't want to transcribe it, but see if you can make this out, upsampled and sharpened. Still pretty poor, but maybe you can make it out?

academy.gif

academy.gif

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 2
3 hours ago, Oh Shoot said:

Really don't want to transcribe it, but see if you can make this out, upsampled and sharpened. Still pretty poor, but maybe you can make it out?

I can actually make out most of what that says and all I can say is WOW! I actually LOL'd at the part about removing all the scary looking guns including air soft guns.

BTW...thanks for posting that. I appreciate ya!

Edited by BigK

In case some have trouble making out the words on the image:

Overview:

Given Sunday's tragic incident in Orlando and out of sensitivity for the victims, Academy Sports + Outdoors ("Academy") is taking several steps related to the advertising and display of modern sporting rifles (MSRs). We also wanted to take a moment to reinforce several company policies and provide you with with guidance for customer interactions and how to funnel media or policy conversations about modern sporting rifles.

Updated MSR Advertising Display Guidelines

Until further notice, Academy is removing all Modern Sporting Rifles (MSRs) from store display until further notice. Academy also is removing these firearms from all advertising that we can affect and from academy.com. Academy will still sell MSR firearms at stores per the below guidelines. This document supersedes all previous policies and procedures concerning MSRs.

Note: MSRs include any firearm in class ??? and any other firearms that resembles the appearance of an MSR.

There are several immediate actions we need for you to take at the store level:

• Remove all MSRs from your display and place them in your secure firearms storage
  • Review your long gun and glass displays to ensure all MSRs displayed with accessories are also removed
  • All current display must be carefully repackaged into their original box and stored with all other MSR stock
  • At this time, you may leave your scope display stocks in place
  • The "Display" label should be removed from any MSR box
  • Please add a trigger lock to all MSRs
  • Ensure trigger lock is removed when transferring a firearm to the customer
  • Please remerchandise remaining displays to fill any holes created by removal of the MSR displays
  • Please remove all products resembling MSRs, inclucing AirSoft/air guns from impact areas including the race tracks, side kicks, end caps, etc. and merchandise back in home locations
  • Follow all other procedures relate to the sale of firearms

If you have any questions about the above procedures, please contact your DM.

Public Communications Policy

With heightened national media attention on firearms and retailers that sell them, and due to our recent decision to suspend advertising and display of MSRs, there are many possible media scenarios that could unfold. For your reference, Academy's Public Communications Policy is located on The Spot.

• As a reminder, only our President & CEO and certian members of our Executive and Corporate Communications team are authorized to make public statements on behalf of Academy Sports
11 minutes ago, xsubsailor said:

Daniel Defense Terminates Relationship with Academy Sports

http://soldiersystems.net/2016/06/16/daniel-defense-terminates-relationship-with-academy-sports/

Daniel Defense just sold me on an ISR Gen 2 when I get to the point of going through the hassle of getting one. Possibly even 2, one for me and one for the wife.

Wow…. The libs have to be having a good laugh about this; watching the gun folks turn on each other and they didn’t have to do anything. Between this and the election we have to appear pretty divided.

Disgusting.

• Like 4