I've spent a lot of money at Academy Sports, but....

35 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

Wow…. The libs have to be having a good laugh about this; watching the gun folks turn on each other and they didn’t have to do anything. Between this and the election we have to appear pretty divided.

Disgusting.

Looks like some gun folks turned on Fudd Inc. Piss on 'em. Is there and echo in here?

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Lincoln Osiris said:

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Target's market cap has declined 20% since April. Even though their Q1 was decent for the most part, the stock continues on its downward roll. We'll know if the Target boycott has had any effect when Q2 and especially Q3 results are released and they have to reassure shareholders that the negative results are simply more bumps in the road. But the CEO won't be able to blame huge dips in sales on the weather, like he did with Q1.

This isn't happening with Walmart, Costco or any others—just Target.

I'd be glad to see Target humbled some.  Kohl's is actually down more over the last three (3) months, but I'd see Walmart as the closest comparison.  I guess we shall see as the year progresses.

6 hours ago, Lincoln Osiris said:

In case some have trouble making out the words on the image:

Thank for you for the transcription.  I wish I'd noticed that before I read the other image Oh Shoot posted (thanks OS!).

2 hours ago, DaveTN said:

Wow…. The libs have to be having a good laugh about this; watching the gun folks turn on each other and they didn’t have to do anything. Between this and the election we have to appear pretty divided.

Disgusting.

I agree.  It's sad to see.  I understand the statement they're trying to make, but I think unity is more important.  I'd have rather they did it quietly, but I reckon they were mainly out to boost their own image among the die-hards.  Perhaps I'm too cynical.

3 hours ago, xsubsailor said:

Daniel Defense Terminates Relationship with Academy Sports

http://soldiersystems.net/2016/06/16/daniel-defense-terminates-relationship-with-academy-sports/

I'm going to buy me some DD stuff. I like their spirit.

“Academy’s decision clearly segregates firearms by their appearance, which sends a dangerous message to our politicians that it’s acceptable to do so. We as an industry must stand and fight, together.”

Marty Daniel, President and CEO

• Like 4
7 hours ago, gr8smiles said:

Looks like I'm gonna buy me a DD rifle tomorrow:)

I hear Academy is going to have a sale on DD stuff. They keep it put away though; you have to ask to see it. :)

This is ridiculous. This is DD using this as a market ploy.

DD we need to stand together in the face of this attack, not turn on each other. Put your big boy pants on and get back in the game.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

Oh…. I hadn’t thought of that.

smilielol5.gif

Just a page from the liberal handbook. :lol:  I wonder how they'd respond if a bunch of people started raising hell about them segregating those rifles based on their color.

10 minutes ago, bud said:

Academy is using it as a marketing ploy too. I understand them doing what it takes to protect the bottom line, but I would rather Academy had stuck to their (black) guns. No big deal, I'm just not going to let them have their cake and eat it too on my dime.

I won’t Judge Academy in Orlando on how they responded to a tragedy in their community. They didn’t quit selling AR’s and they aren’t gathering names of ammo buyers. They didn’t do this for marketing; this came about from a Reddit post (of all things). Corporate decided to follow suit for who knows how long. People struggle with what to do after a tragedy.

Anyway, what's all this talk about sticking together? I have no obligation to, or benefit from, sticking together with Academy on this. I fail to see the need to present a united front that says, "we'll all stick together with Academy to accommodate everyone's little feelings".

In the gun debate there are only two sides; us and them. Academy is still one of us. (Until they do something more than they have)

DD is just responding like a little biatch.  And I think they are doing it for marketing. They need to get back on the right side.

15 minutes ago, bud said:

Academy is using it as a marketing ploy too. I understand them doing what it takes to protect the bottom line, but I would rather Academy had stuck to their (black) guns. No big deal, I'm just not going to let them have their cake and eat it too on my dime.

Anyway, what's all this talk about sticking together? I have no obligation to, or benefit from, sticking together with Academy on this. I fail to see the need to present a united front that says, "we'll all stick together with Academy to accommodate everyone's little feelings".

It doesn't seem that way. Just some people that have more weight putting their foot down.

Maybe I'm just too used to online shopping, or trying to find that 'perfect' deal at a dedicated gun shop, but buying a top end AR at a place like Academy would never cross my mind.  I've always looked at places like Academy, Walmart, Cabela's, as an option for a quick box of ammo, some cleaning supplies, or a small gun purchase.

• Like 2

I considered Academy "one of us" until they pulled MSRs off their shelves to cater to the anti-gun crowd. Keeping all the other guns on their shelves was a financial decision. Continuing to sell anything that resembles a MSR out of the back room like they are something to be ashamed is also a financial decision.

Choosing sides by hiding the scary looking rifles that make the hand-wringing ninnies cry is a political decision and that's what makes them "one of them" in my book. They can't be on both sides of the fence at the same time. There's only 2 sides, right?

• Like 4

DD definitely understands how Negative Brand Association works and the ease at which policies and laws can be enacted once that happens. Their entire product line was taken off display, hidden and locked away, and now anyone wanting to even look at one of their products has to be treated like they're asking to fondle the Jeffrey Dahmer knife collection. Walk into the store and ask for the "special" items and now it's, "Oh, you're that kind of guy. Hmmmm"

• Like 4

I'm still failing to see what the big deal is.

Guns are a very small percentage of Academy's revenue.  

Would you have them just jump up on a soap box and shout it out to the world, potentially alienating a larger percentage of their customer base?  They are a business, in the business of making money not political statements and friends.  

So they covered a few of their wares from the great eye of the media and public until the dust from this shooting settles. So what?  

I gotta say [and I'll make no friends saying it but it needs saying] The gun crowd are some of the whiniest hypocritical bitches in this country.  WaaaWaaa, they pulled some guns and put them under the counter until the potentially bad media coverage has passed.  Meanwhile, our rights get trampled and officials get elected with leftist agendas and most of the gun crowd can't be bothered to do a gd thing. 

All the things that have, are and will happen are happening because WE LET it happen.  

There's a beautiful thing about capitalism; you don't HAVE to spend money where you don't want to.  

Edited by Caster
  • Like 7
26 minutes ago, Caster said:

I'm still failing to see what the big deal is.

Guns are a very small percentage of Academy's revenue.  

Would you have them just jump up on a soap box and shout it out to the world, potentially alienating a larger percentage of their customer base?  They are a business, in the business of making money not political statements and friends.  

So they covered a few of their wares from the great eye of the media and public until the dust from this shooting settles. So what?  

Then they and you shouldn't worry about that small percentage effecting them. I now won't spend my money at Academy. So what?

26 minutes ago, Caster said:

I gotta say [and I'll make no friends saying it but it needs saying] The gun crowd are some of the whiniest hypocritical bitches in this country.  WaaaWaaa, they pulled some guns and put them under the counter until the potentially bad media coverage has passed.  Meanwhile, our rights get trampled and officials get elected with leftist agendas and most of the gun crowd can't be bothered to do a gd thing. 

All the things that have, are and will happen are happening because WE LET it happen.  

There's a beautiful thing about capitalism; you don't HAVE to spend money where you don't want to.  

Seems that your whiny bitching about other people bitching kinda negates your argument about whiny hypocrites.

If capitalism is such a beautiful thing, and if we're each free to use it to our advantage, then why aren't you shutting up and allowing other people to dictate when and where their capital flows? Clearly you are telling folks when and where they HAVE to spend their money, not just where and when you will spend yours.

But, ya know, I gotta say [and you might get offended, but it needs to be said], your rationale is showing signs of borderline retardation when it comes to understanding how politics has been shaped by corporations and large businesses that help to sway the political climate and dictate how "our rights get trampled and officials get elected with leftist agendas." It's not just confined to guns; it's the entire spectrum of fiscal and social issues of today that have been hijacked by Corporatism and people who have no real regard for community.

You're free to spend your money how you see fit. I'm free to spend or NOT spend my money how I see fit. That's essentially what you said, right? So I find it really odd that the people who have said they won't be spending their money at Academy are saying it as a personal stance, while people like you are basically attacking and belittling those people and their decisions.

Little nugget of advice: You might wanna not embody the persona of a flaming whiny hypocrite while calling other people whiny hypocrites. Kinda of makes me think that whatever lead filtration system(water, gun range, whatever) you're relying on just... ain't... working. Get it checked out, stat!

• Like 1

Every once in a while words speak louder than actions, at least from a long term POV.

I'll wait for a statement one way or the other on the companies short and long range plans before throwing under the commie bus.

• Admin Team
33 minutes ago, Lincoln Osiris said:

Then they and you shouldn't worry about that small percentage effecting them. I now won't spend my money at Academy. So what?

Seems that your whiny bitching about other people bitching kinda negates your argument about whiny hypocrites.

If capitalism is such a beautiful thing, and if we're each free to use it to our advantage, then why aren't you shutting up and allowing other people to dictate when and where their capital flows? Clearly you are telling folks when and where they HAVE to spend their money, not just where and when you will spend yours.

But, ya know, I gotta say [and you might get offended, but it needs to be said], your rationale is showing signs of borderline retardation when it comes to understanding how politics has been shaped by corporations and large businesses that help to sway the political climate and dictate how "our rights get trampled and officials get elected with leftist agendas." It's not just confined to guns; it's the entire spectrum of fiscal and social issues of today that have been hijacked by Corporatism and people who have no real regard for community.

You're free to spend your money how you see fit. I'm free to spend or NOT spend my money how I see fit. That's essentially what you said, right? So I find it really odd that the people who have said they won't be spending their money at Academy are saying it as a personal stance, while people like you are basically attacking and belittling those people and their decisions.

Little nugget of advice: You might wanna not embody the persona of a flaming whiny hypocrite while calling other people whiny hypocrites. Kinda of makes me think that whatever lead filtration system(water, gun range, whatever) you're relying on just... ain't... working. Get it checked out, stat!

Caster certainly doesn't need me to speak to his intellectual ability, but there's no place for calling another member of this forum retarded.

Check your rhetoric.  The ice is getting really thin underneath you.

• Like 2