SKS & Vietnam War Question

S.O.G and J&G have Chinese SKSs.  The advertising from Southern Ohio says they are 1960s era.

If this is true I want to get one due to the historical significance relative the the Vietnam War.  Does anyone know if this advertising is correct?

On a similar but different note.  Does anyone know how much the SKS was used in Vietnam by the commies?  Pics from the time usually have AKs.  Yet, it would make sense to me that there were a lot of SKSs as China shares a border with Vietnam, SKSs were what the Chinese used for themselves (not the AK)  and money was a big issue.  While I don't know, I would assume that Chinese SKSs cost less to produce.

I haven't been able to find a lot of information, though found one source that said in a Viet Cong group the boss would have an AK and the rest would have SKSs. 

I guess I'm saying that there is seemingly contradictory information and I would like a better answer.

On a similar but different note.  Does anyone know how much the SKS was used in Vietnam by the commies?  Pics from the time usually have AKs.  Yet, it would make sense to me that there were a lot of SKSs as China shares a border with Vietnam, SKSs were what the Chinese used for themselves (not the AK)  and money was a big issue.  While I don't know, I would assume that Chinese SKSs cost less to produce.

The SKS was widely used in Vietnam. The NVA had them and the Viet Cong used whatever they could find. The SKS cost more to produce than the AK. The AK was junk. A lot of Mosins were also used.

I haven't been able to find a lot of information, though found one source that said in a Viet Cong group the boss would have an AK and the rest would have SKS's

Probably the other way around. The SKS was a better, more accurate rifle than the AK. The leader and the snipers would probably have SKS’s if they had them. Mosins and 03 Springfields were also common sniper rifles.  

I guess I'm saying that there is seemingly contradictory information and I would like a better answer.

Everything available was used in Vietnam. The Viet Cong were scavenger forces; they used whatever they had or could take. The same thing today in Afghanistan; plenty of old azz rifles there. They use what they can get.

• Like 5

Since both the North Vietnamese army and the Viet Cong were armed by the Communist regimes, yes the SKS was widely used, along with the other arms available in the Comm-block world, including AK's and older Mosin Nagants.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, DaveTN said:

The SKS was widely used in Vietnam. The NVA had them and the Viet Cong used whatever they could find. The SKS cost more to produce than the AK. The AK was junk. A lot of Mosins were also used.

Probably the other way around. The SKS was a better, more accurate rifle than the AK. The leader and the snipers would probably have SKS’s if they had them. Mosins and 03 Springfields were also common sniper rifles.  

Everything available was used in Vietnam. The Viet Cong were scavenger forces; they used whatever they had or could take. The same thing today in Afghanistan; plenty of old azz rifles there. They use what they can get.

I wouldn't exactly call the AK's junk compared to the SKS unless you would also call the AR's junk compared to the M-14 during the mid 1960's. Both the AR and the AK had there problems, if I remember right.

Your right about the VC, they weren't picky, they used what ever they could get there hands on.

Edited by crossfire

Sure the AK’s are junk; regardless of what you compare them to. They were designed to be junk; they were popular because they were cheap. They have a following now so there are people paying close to a grand for them; who would have ever thought?

Having said that everything is application driven. They are a great close quarter combat weapon because they use a better round than the AR. They are made with extreme clearances so they won’t jamb; but they are useless at distance. They can’t compete with an SKS or an AR at distance.

If you are a sniper or a long distance shooter there is no comparisons between an M14 and an M16; again, application driven.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

Sure the AK’s are junk; regardless of what you compare them to. They were designed to be junk; they were popular because they were cheap. They have a following now so there are people paying close to a grand for them; who would have ever thought?

Having said that everything is application driven. They are a great close quarter combat weapon because they use a better round than the AR. They are made with extreme clearances so they won’t jamb; but they are useless at distance. They can’t compete with an SKS or an AR at distance.

If you are a sniper or a long distance shooter there is no comparisons between an M14 and an M16; again, application driven.

Agree :cheers:

SKS was common in VC hands.  The reason is very simple.  The Chinese had huge stocks of them, and were already upgrading their own troops to the AK.

Likewise the US gave away massive amounts of WWII weapons during the '60s.  

The AK was pretty rare in VN until Tet.  As time went on, more and more were seen, especially in the hands of NVA regulars.