Less Traffic?

Is it me or does it seem like there is less traffic since the new software change over?

Not trying to start anything just would others opinions.

I was thinking the same thing, but in general the postings other than the election stuff seems to have slowed down even before the upgrade.

Dunno if the software change affected it that much (though it seems to have had some effect) and dunno about actual traffic stats, but surely seems a real drop in participation over the last few months.

Saving graces lately, sadly, have primarily been Orlando and Trump, rather than actual gun specific related stuff.

Haven't kept a finger on the Trading Post's pulse, guess it's held pert steady?

I've hit it 'bout as hard as I can since Thursday, since pretty much glued to the tube with US Open. Hell, I've even gotten up early for it yesterday and today.  :)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

It feels like less traffic to me as well.  Of course I don't have statistics, though it seems to me that we haven't had as many threads in the areas that generate the most participation and satisfaction, which are the ones about guns, knives, fishing, etc...

The threads where someone asks how to do something with a gun or other TGO type thing seem to go well.  People want to be helpful and they enjoy sharing knowledge and opinion. This forum seems to get the most interest in modern firearms, especially the AR 15.  There are also a core group of C&R folks, of which I'm one.  I've been a little surprised at the lack of interest in the Civil War guns I've posted.

Sense of humor always helps things.  I didn't start the funny picture thread for me - I've already found, seen and enjoyed them. I try to keep it going as we can be a somber lot.  I remember starting a thread saying the the SKS should be the official gun of TN as the notion is so ridiculous that its really funny.  You would have thought I wanted Bernie for Governor based on some of the replies.  Sense of humor always helps.

Other threads that have been good have been ones like what gun would you have if you could only have one, etc....

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, Sidecarist said:

Seems slower to me as well.

It's never been overall as quick for me since the change, figure there's just a lot more going on in the background. I get periodic longer lags up to 10 seconds or more sometimes too.

edit: rereading, I guess you probably weren't meaning the speed of the site.

Edited by Oh Shoot

Compared to last summer, things seems dead. The summer is the only time I can really get on the forum regularly. There has definitely been a lack of topics I'm interested lately so I've had to use my attempts at humor and sarcasm to make things more lively.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Maybe we can all think of an interesting topic or two to post. 

I've spending time on the political threads. The issue there is that we tend to have two groups here, the conservatives and no joking, totally to the right conservatives.  So, what happens is that no one ever convinces the other side of anything.  We just argue.

I tell myself I'll stay off of them, though somehow I keep going back.....

I too have noticed less participation. With my recent projects and learning new stuff, been trying to be a little more proactive with related posts to the projects.

A resolution was to witness and testify, haven't done that on TGO, it would certainly be lively.

For myself, I have chose to only comment in certain things because in my opinion, honestly, subjects of a certain nature cause some really ugly conversations. I read threads sometimes and I want to contribute, but then I stop because I know certain members will disagree and then to have to debate back and forth for a simple idea or thought is just not worth it.

Also, while I share the views of many of you, I've noticed that certain people have gotten ridiculous on certain posts and it's just not worth associating myself with a thread when I feel like it's borderline hateful. On the bright side, met another member today. Monkey and I were both happy to get to stop and talk to him for a bit. But for me, I'm selective on what I discuss or participate in.

• Like 6
  • Authorized Vendor

I have tons of outside stuff to keep me busy in the Summer months. I've found every place I frequent slows down in the Summer due to outside activities, vacations, chores and the like. I don't think the upgrade has anything to do with it...at least I can't see how. The upgrade works great for me. 

3 hours ago, Oh Shoot said:

It's never been overall as quick for me since the change, figure there's just a lot more going on in the background. I get periodic longer lags up to 10 seconds or more sometimes too.

edit: rereading, I guess you probably weren't meaning the speed of the site.

Followup:

Like right now, I'm off and on getting 8-10 second lag from click to response, 2-4 the rest of the time.  Can't just be me, everything else is lickedty split like normal?

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1
  • Admin Team

The political rhetoric is a turn off for a lot of folks.  From the conversations I've had with members, they're tired of the hate.  

Even people who like reasoned discourse get tired of being blasted when they refuse to blindly support the GOP candidate.  

And, this is a gun forum.  You'd think the majority of the traffic might relate to guns.  

• Like 7
7 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

The political rhetoric is a turn off for a lot of folks.  From the conversations I've had with members, they're tired of the hate.  

Even people who like reasoned discourse get tired of being blasted when they refuse to blindly support the GOP candidate.  

And, this is a gun forum.  You'd think the majority of the traffic might relate to guns.  

This... It is often like the move Groundhog day where the same people are spewing the same stale rhetoric. I skim over a lot of topics and then keep going because it's not worth my breath to comment. 

• Administrator

Overall traffic stats are similar to what they were this time last year.   We almost always see a dip in traffic during the summertime; this is nothing new.  We saw a spike in traffic recently that seems to coincide with the Orlando tragedy, but nothing near as dramatic as we saw after the tragedy in Newtown, CT.  I attribute that bubble to "panic buying" and doubt we will see anything like it again unless the anti-Second Amendment crowd really makes headway and looks to stand a credible chance of destroying our right to bear arms.

Let's hope that doesn't happen.  Traffic on a web site, be damned, we don't need that in our lives.

As for the correlation with the new software, I think some folks who were casual visitors may have found themselves locked out due to having not kept their email addresses up-to-date over the years and now being unable to reset their passwords.  I've put notices about that everywhere I possibly can and have reset dozens of account passwords for people over the past few weeks.

Anyone who is still butting their heads against that door might be past the realm of help.  I mean, seriously, there are no less than four ways for a person to contact me to have their account reset.  At a point, you have to assume the mouse just isn't going to find the cheese...

qHCmV0z.jpg

Beyond all of that, the feedback we've gotten about the new software seems to fall into three categories, as expected.

1. I like it

2. I don't have an opinion

3. I don't like change of any sort

If you are in Camp #3, you ought to give it a chance but have probably made up your mind that you won't.  I doubt I can help you.

• Like 1

Both comments on this thread, plus experience from my business, lead me to confidently say that higher engagement is all about the content.

A quick example from my business will set up my point for TGO.  Many companies send email advertisements, which tend to irritate people.  Many companies in the business to business world send monthly newsletters, which are opened 10-15% of the time.

I find articles that I think will be interesting to prospective customers.  I write a brief summary, include the article and send it.  No advertising or promotion.  I get an open rate of 35%, with a fair amount opening it two or more times.  The subject of the article determines how many opens I get.

Bringing this back to TGO, participation is all about the quality of the content.  All of us control the content.  If folks will start and contribute to threads about guns, knives, etc... then participation will increase.  

Another part of good content is covering things that they audience is interested in.  Example, I've invested a lot of time in learning how to preserve antique guns so that people can still enjoy them in 1000 years.  I was willing to write about how to do it, though thought I would do just a short intro to see if folks were interested.  It turned out that they weren't.

Here are areas where I think people have interest:

Modern tactical rifles, especially the AR platform

Defensive handguns

Carry related topics

WW2 guns, especially the M1, K98, Mosin, Enfields

SKS

Asking gun related questions.  Wow what a wealth of knowledge. 

37 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

I think some people are passionate about supporting the GOP candidate because the alternative this time around would push to have this very site shut down. I must have a thicker skin then most folks because TGO seems to have very civilized discussions comparred to other forums.  The politcal discussions are very much related to guns, IMO because the gov is actively trying to restrict our gun rights.

Anyway, TGO is a great community. I predict the traffic will increase as we inch toward November.

• Like 1

I'll add my 2cents. I believe there are several reasons. One is the new format which some folks probably haven't put forth the effort to get back on here. 

I think it's fine personally and am still learning to use it. 

Another is the price of ammo, this is a big factor for many. I know I don't shoot nearly as much as I used to. Heck, I barely shoot at all these days. I don't like talking about firearms when the current situation pisses me off.  Which leads to another, times are tough. I don't mean like Clinton or Carter years tough, things are way worse than many realize. 

For some reason we avoid reality on here, I'm sure there's many reasons, but we do. Might as well go somewhere that talks about the wonderful effects that are saving the unicorn and where love prevails over terror.

We can ignore reality but we cannot ignore the results of ignoring reality. The results are starting to show their head and we will all have poop on us when it hits the fan. 

Lastly, I believe at this point, everyone is either a conservative or a liberal. Because conservatives have compromised for so long that anyone in between enables the liberals. As such, for a conservative it is a complete waste of time to engage the Libs. 

The left has divided and spewed hate for so long, nearly everything is negative. 

Wages are down, taxes are up, utilities, food, insurance, costs of all goods. Reality. Not to mention the seemingly effective takeover of this countries being. 

Not to sound pessimistic, just real. 

Of course I could be wrong, perhaps most people are out shooting and having a good time. 

I'm going to go dust off my unused firearms now. 

• Like 1
  • Administrator

Believe me, I have spoken with several of the moderators numerous times over the past few years about potentially jettisoning all political conversations that have nothing to do with the Second Amendment from the forum entirely.  Some folks on TGO seem to be oblivious to the idea that the right to bear arms crosses both sides of the political aisle and that a gay Democrat from New York can be just as passionate about her right to own an AR-15 as a barrel-chested, corn-fed Republican country boy who served two tours in Afghanistan and presently works in the oil fields of Texas to support his wife and 2.5 kids is.

We are all supposed to be here to talk about firearms, the Second Amendment, shooting stuff for fun, and using these inanimate objects we all like as means to teach responsibility, put food on the table, keep us from taking up golf on the weekends, and protecting ourselves from those who would do us harm.

I think if we stuck to talking about those things, we'd probably pick up a lot of traffic again.

Come to think of it, I may have just talked myself into making that a policy change for TGO.  Do we really need this place to be yet another damned fountain of political vitriol on the Internet?  Unless it's directly related to Second Amendment issues, I think the answer to that is... NEEDS to be... NO.

• Like 8

I will add, I have joined the ignore reality crowd (best I can at least)

it sure is nice here! While I haven't seen a unicorn I have noticed the oceans haven't risen 4' because of the rich people. I just wish there were some ammo here! :)

I don't mind the political discussion, but some threads get to a point where it's just nit picking and finger pointing. If I've got something to say I say it, but it's up to others to decide for themselves. No sense in arguing... I wouldn't like to see all political discussion ended, but maybe the moderators can just close a thread if it gets out of hand. If we want political shouting we can watch any news channel.

The new format is just a learning curve for me. 

I am now going to break in my Canik TP9SA-V2 Happy Father's Day!