Less Traffic?

For myself I do not like change but have gotten with the new software.

I believe most folks need to calm down and relax a bit when it come to peoples opinions on politics and religion. Not everyone thinks or believes the same so go with it and don't get so wound up.

May everyone have a Good Fathers Day and enjoy their weekend!   :D

• Like 5

My opinion for what its worth.  I wouldn't prohibit the political threads.  After all, no one has to open them.  Rather than eliminating them, I would be more inclined for moderators shut them down and lock them more quickly - as quickly as anything they view as hateful or abrasive starts up.  

There are some topics that always evolve into hate, perhaps those should be banned or quickly shut down.  The most glaring of those are about Muslims.

On a different note, I think we all need to stop talking about the new site unless there is a specific problem that needs to be fixed. David didn't have a choice - the site had to be upgraded.  Anyone we lose because of the upgrade is unfortunate, though there was not an alternative.

I don't think people realize how much of a hassle it was for David and team to do the upgrade.  This isn't like your iPhone where you plug it in and it works.  

I do believe the new site is slower and haven't said anything for a few reasons.  If it is slower then David knows that and is doing what he can to address it considering the revenue generated by the site.  

He has chosen to make TGO the best he can rather than turning it into a big money maker.  The cost of TGO is extremely reasonable.  Until earlier this month I subscribed to The Wall Street Journal online.  It was $300 per year and they still pounded me with irritating advertisements.  

Keep all of this in mind as you think about the new site.  There are plenty of paycheck to paycheck folks on here and he keeps the price where they can afford it.  TGO and it's roughly ten years of data are on a server somewhere.  The cost of a really nice pc is chump change compared to what servers cost.

• Like 4

Is there an option for some members to be able to block certain sub-forums (i.e, political threads) if they are that easily offended? Surely if someone clicks on a thread in the political section they understand that there will be different opinions. I'm a little confussed because I haven't really witnessed many remarks that would keep people away. I enjoy the perspective of both sides and all the members, and I think the current election process will directly affect the future of the 2A.

As far as the upgrade... I like it! I really liked the old site too, but the new one is just as great. Change happens, and it's important to keep up with the latest software. 

• Like 1
  • Administrator
Just now, wewoapsiak said:

Wasn't this why all the political junk was corralled into "the hive" some time ago, a section that you had to actually go to instead of popping up in the feed automatically?

Yes.

I have been here since the beginning. The political threads we have now pale in comparison to some we have had in the past. (For example the Trump threads are nowhere near as out of control as the Martin/Zimmerman threads were).

The attack on our country in Orlando by a Muslim extremist will be followed by an attack by Hillary on gun owners. It’s all gun related and it’s what’s being talked about right now.

The new software has kept me from being in here as much. But I just figure as soon as people get use to it they will pass along the knowledge of how to do the things we want to do.

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

I have been here since the beginning. The political threads we have now pale in comparison to some we have had in the past. (For example the Trump threads are nowhere near as out of control as the Martin/Zimmerman threads were).

The attack on our country in Orlando by a Muslim extremist will be followed by an attack by Hillary on gun owners. It’s all gun related and it’s what’s being talked about right now.

The new software has kept me from being in here as much. But I just figure as soon as people get use to it they will pass along the knowledge of how to do the things we want to do.

What can't you do?

I've perused the site pretty much the same way since I've been here, though all the various iterations of both brands and versions of the control software.

The only thing I see as actually gone from previous versions is being able to see user name history, unless I've overlooked it somewhere.

- OS

20 hours ago, Oh Shoot said:

Followup:

Like right now, I'm off and on getting 8-10 second lag from click to response, 2-4 the rest of the time.  Can't just be me, everything else is lickedty split like normal?

- OS

It's not just you, I'm having the same problem. 

10 minutes ago, xsubsailor said:

It's not just you, I'm having the same problem. 

Same here, although a lot of time I'm on my phone inside a metal building that doesn't get very good service and it's usually 3G vs 4G or wifi anyways. I just assumed it was my service.

57 minutes ago, Oh Shoot said:

What can't you do?

I've perused the site pretty much the same way since I've been here, though all the various iterations of both brands and versions of the control software.

The only thing I see as actually gone from previous versions is being able to see user name history, unless I've overlooked it somewhere.

- OS

It keeps reverting back to “Everything” when I have selected “Content I have posted in” under “ownership” and keeps reverting back to “content I haven’t read” when I have selected “everything” under “Read status”.

I just seem to be spending all my time clicking at the top of the page telling it what I want to do, and then it switches back to whatever it wants every time it refreshes,  when before I just toggled back and forth between stuff I had posted in and everything.

It took me a couple of minutes to find this thread again, because it wants so desperately to not let me see anything I have already read.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DaveTN said:

Dave, if you and anyone else running into trouble in knowing how to do something will post what those things are I'll do video where you can here my voice and see my screen as I walk through how to do things.

I like that method better than typing because there is less room to miscommunicate and you can stop the video and back it up if needed.

21 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

It keeps reverting back to “Everything” when I have selected “Content I have posted in” under “ownership” and keeps reverting back to “content I haven’t read” when I have selected “everything” under “Read status”.

I just seem to be spending all my time clicking at the top of the page telling it what I want to do, and then it switches back to whatever it wants every time it refreshes,  when before I just toggled back and forth between stuff I had posted in and everything.

It took me a couple of minutes to find this thread again, because it wants so desperately to not let me see anything I have already read.

I have to do that also. If there is any way to change the defaults on this, I'd be interested in that.

On the plus side, I'm not having to log in all the time like I was.

Edited by Wingshooter
1 hour ago, nightrunner said:

Same here, although a lot of time I'm on my phone inside a metal building that doesn't get very good service and it's usually 3G vs 4G or wifi anyways. I just assumed it was my service.

No, I'm just on home puters, Comcast cable.

On 6/19/2016 at 7:51 AM, MacGyver said:

The political rhetoric is a turn off for a lot of folks.  From the conversations I've had with members, they're tired of the hate.  

Even people who like reasoned discourse get tired of being blasted when they refuse to blindly support the GOP candidate.  

And, this is a gun forum.  You'd think the majority of the traffic might relate to guns.  

This site has been heavy on political since I have been a member, except when all political discussion was banished to the hive. I'm one of the blind ones, I suppose. A Republican has a big weighting factor with me because they like guns. But, blind is pretty moderate compared to what I have been called by some liberals. :) So, I figure I'm still home.

• Like 2

On 6/19/2016 at 9:35 AM, TGO David said:

Come to think of it, I may have just talked myself into making that a policy change for TGO.  Do we really need this place to be yet another damned fountain of political vitriol on the Internet?  Unless it's directly related to Second Amendment issues, I think the answer to that is... NEEDS to be... NO.

I think that the politics is an important part of TGO, and I know I'd find myself logging into TGO less if it was gone.  I come here with the intent on seeing differing opinions, and a place like this, where the argument is much more thought out than elsewhere is a huge bonus to me.  We debate with passion, but I think it's better for the site as a whole.  It's also worth noting, that we probably have a higher percentage among our membership than the population at large that is politically engaged, it being a natural inclination for gun owners and all.

As to the proportion of general politics to gun chat...I know for myself, there is only so much to talk about with guns or gun related issues.  If I get more than one new gun a year, it's been a spending spree, and as a college student, I don't have the recurring income to hit the range or take any classes with the frequency I might wish.  Plus, when it comes to the gun content, I find myself reading more and posting less, since my knowledge is paltry compared to others on things like relics, and any other gun style besides the AR, which I'm knowledgeable enough to comment on.  Politics, Legal Issues, and General Chat give me a chance to participate more.

So, I think we should keep non-gun related areas.  If nothing else, it lets "the regulars" here engage in conversation and serves as another way to build a sense of community here.

• Like 6

I don't mind the politics,  as long as it's related to 2A, weapons, CCW,  or SD issues etc,  it belongs here. The problem is that some don't know how to keep it from getting personal, I'm sure it keeps moderators busy.   As this is a post about traffic, I'm not sure there is a correlation with these topics and less (or more) traffic.  You can always choose what topics to look at or respond to, but I do feel some just make it too personal; it's just not that serious. 

• Like 2