Sawed Off Shotgun

Guest justinbelcher13

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest justinbelcher13

Just to let you know, I cut it down to 18.5". I went with an old NEF single shot I already had instead of buying the dbl bbl. I just used my pipe cutter I use when running galvanized pipe and took it real slow. Then I filed it a little to smooth up the edges then hit it a few times with one of those at home blueing kits to keep it from rusting. It worked pretty well, and looks real good. Not hard to do it all yourself if anyone else out there is thinking about it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest cagoodwn

Ok I've got an older 870 express magnum that I would like to go tactical with. I read about cutting the barrel and that seemed easy enough. Any suggestions on aftermarket stocks? What about magazine extension? I would like to mount a light to the foregrip too. I would like to do this a cost friendly as possible as I'm already probably devaluing the gun.

My 'tactical' shotguns have wood furniture. Works as well, or better than, plastic. Won't break as easily, and provides more mass, in the event my gun becomes a club. When I get home, I'll be re-finishing an HD shotgun stock using Fairtrimmers Ox. Gives it a non-shiny, old-style military finish. http://www.fairtrimmers.com/

(Okay, I'll confess that first, I like the look of wood better anyway, and second, it is pretty difficult to find plastic furniture for an 1897 Winchester - but the reason given above is still valid)

Choate makes a well regarded mag extension

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=289342

If you want practical/cheap, a decent LED flashlight and a short length of bicycle innertube work well. Last gunshow I attended, I picked up a reasonably bright multi-LED flashlight with a built-in laser for 10 bucks. If you want Tactical Ted, there are more off-the-shelf solutions than I have available fingers and toes to count.

While you have it apart for cleaning, suggest you use Berryhills Ultimate Lube for all sliding metal surfaces. It's the bee's knee's for lubrication. http://www.berryhillguns.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=17:latest-news&catid=7:whats-new

Edited by Mark@Sea
  • 6 months later...
Guest witchdr

I have an old Enders Royale that I picked up for 50 bucks.It was in pretty bad shape (including a bent barrell 6" from muzzel and a broken fireing pin).I cut it to 20" just to see if I could get it right using a hacksaw and a square and file to true it up .Then I used a fine diamond stone and reblued the whole gun after makig a new fireing pin.Now it is one of my faorite gun (really good for snakes).It wasn't really that hard just time consuming to gat it right.Take your time and only take a little steel off at a time when finishing.

Ok I've got an older 870 express magnum that I would like to go tactical with. I read about cutting the barrel and that seemed easy enough. Any suggestions on aftermarket stocks? What about magazine extension? I would like to mount a light to the foregrip too. I would like to do this a cost friendly as possible as I'm already probably devaluing the gun.

AGI Gunsmith DVD "Building the Fighting Remington 870" takes a stock 870 to tactical. Modifications, finishes, furniture, and accessories are covered in the conversion and the DVD can be rented from Smartflix. It's a hands-on detailed instruction and great start for your project.

Woody

http://smartflix.com/store/video/4280/Build-the-Fighting-Remington-870

Using your same logic - is half educated Barney Fife going to cuff and stuff you for 18.5" and just buy you a coke and a piece of pie for 19"?

Besides - what are you doing carrying around a shotgun in the car anyway?

It's legal now, if you have a HCP. Some people are putting them in trunk racks.

I have an old "beater" Mossberg 500A that I have been fixing up as a HD gun. I just went ahead and bought the 18.5" barrel from Mossberg, so it is now officially "Factory Stock." The barrel is marked as 18.5" so there is no hassle about it being "Modified".

Edited by wjh2657