stars on threads

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

A star beside the thread title indicates that you've responded to that particular topic. 

If you tap the dot or the star, it will take you to the first unread post.  

Had an "ah ha" moment on the first unread post dot. 

• Like 1

Different stars. The ones I'm talking about are at the top of the page once you open a thread. I live by the last post dot/star lol.

After doing some more looking, it looks like the only thread with one is the donald trump dumpster fire thread which is rated at 1 star and doesn't seem to let me 'vote' on it at all. 

I'm guessing it's just a ghost in the machine, OR something done intentionally to show someones feelings on the subject matter of the thread.

I do wish we at least still had the little stars where we could rate each others worth on our profile pages, those provided some solid entertainment from time to time too.

1 hour ago, TrickyNicky said:

Different stars. The ones I'm talking about are at the top of the page once you open a thread. I live by the last post dot/star lol.

After doing some more looking, it looks like the only thread with one is the donald trump dumpster fire thread which is rated at 1 star and doesn't seem to let me 'vote' on it at all. 

I'm guessing it's just a ghost in the machine, OR something done intentionally to show someones feelings on the subject matter of the thread.

I do wish we at least still had the little stars where we could rate each others worth on our profile pages, those provided some solid entertainment from time to time too.

Have noticed it too, but looking further, seems that star field only appears at all in two forums: 2nd Amendment Issues and Political News and Discussion, and indeed shows in every thread therein:

stars1.gif

But you're right, only the Trump Dumpster thread seems to have one of them "lit":

stars2.gif

It doesn't seem to be a measure of how "hot" a thread is though, as there are longer ones where the field appears but none have a star lit up.

Odd.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

That is the "Rating" as measured by the "Rate this topic" on the top left underneath the title of the post.  But it seems only a few of the forums have it enabled.  So its not automatic like some other sites that rate by how often the post is read or replied to, it's a user voted rating.

7 minutes ago, Omega said:

That is the "Rating" as measured by the "Rate this topic" on the top left underneath the title of the post.  But it seems only a few of the forums have it enabled.  So its not automatic like some other sites that rate by how often the post is read or replied to, it's a user voted rating.

I can't find a "rate this topic" option anywhere, even in the forums where the stars appear, or in the Trump thread either.

- OS

It does not seem to show up on my android phone using chrome so it may be a browser issue of not seeing it.

Ahh, I think on your snippet all you have to do is click a star to rate, since mine don't show the icon, it defaults to the text???

Edited by Omega
Add a guess.
22 minutes ago, Omega said:

Here is a snippet, IE removes some icons so I am sure there are stars or something next or below the text:

Capture.PNG

Curiouser and curiouser... using Firefox or IE on Windows 7 box, I don't have that at all:

stars3.gif

edited to add

12 minutes ago, Omega said:

It does not seem to show up on my android phone using chrome so it may be a browser issue of not seeing it.

Ahh, I think on your snippet all you have to do is click a star to rate, since mine don't show the icon, it defaults to the text???

Oh, okay, that jibes with the screeen shots I already posted.  However, I can NOT click on them, not even in the Trump thread that shows one lit.

Can you actually "rate" one with that worded link on your phone?

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Are you using the "Dark" theme?  When I switch to it I get close to what you see though no stars.  I clicked on where the 5th star should be and highlighted after:

Capture2.PNG

Add: I am on a Win7 box (firewalled) with IE 11.

Edited by Omega
Add info
14 minutes ago, Omega said:

Are you using the "Dark" theme?  When I switch to it I get close to what you see though no stars.  I clicked on where the 5th star should be and highlighted after:

Capture2.PNG

Add: I am on a Win7 box (firewalled) with IE 11.

Yes, dark. Here's what it looks like with default:

stars4.gif

Totally confused now, though, as I still can't "rate" a thread either way, yet the other thread by JackDog now shows 5 stars lit up with either theme, presumably because YOU have rated it?  (but I can't rate one with either theme)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
1 hour ago, Omega said:

Here is one with my android tablet with chrome, and it allows me to pick a star: 

capture.jpg

Must be difference in user permissions then, as when I go to that using Chrome, same as with FireFox and IE, that field is dead to me. Thanks for the detective work, guess David will have to splain.

- OS