BC / BS of TN

12 minutes ago, rmiddle said:

Of curse, it will only take 6 months to see a doc after that.  If you are having a heart attack then it is an emergency so that will bring it down to 5 months. Of curse, the connected won't be waiting months to see doc.

Unless you're in prison. If I remember right, they have to have you seen by a doctor within 24 hours. :angry:

• Admin Team

Our off-exchange plan got axed, too.  I expect to make it look better when they get sued.  

My healthy family of five will pay $10,134 in premiums this year with a $12,800 deductible.  Our family has paid $1800 and BCBST has paid $970 in bills related to doctors visits, etc.  

I'd sure take that kind of profitability in my business.  

My wife is beyond angry.  

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Small, but maybe telling bit of minutia from BCBS.

Paying my premium the other month, I see they aren't taking credit card payments online, and I have to call a number.  After doing it again this month, I get curious.  So, I poke around a bit.  Their official excuse is "the rise in credit card processing fees" and wanting to "keep operational costs under control."  I'm calling BS.  If the cost of processing fees is adding up, disclose the amount and add it to my bill if I choose that option.  I've never seen it be more than a few bucks with the other places that pass along that cost. 

What I really think is happening is BCBS wants everyone's checking account accessible so they can reach into them during a pinch.  They're pushing automatic payments a lot, which I always see as the company making sure they get their money from people who can only pay so many accounts per month, because the bank will cover the amount in the negative, and charge an overdraft fee if needs be.  With a credit card, it's a lot easier to dispute a charge and get it taken care of in your favor.  That and not wanting my bank account info in someone else's database is why I like using my credit card for all my payments.  I just pay my card off 2-3 times a month to avoid interest charges.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid.

Edited by btq96r
1 minute ago, Oh Shoot said:

??? Paying it once a month (on time) doesn't incur any interest charges either.

- OS

Also helps me track and control spending easier.  The amount every 10 days goes into a spreadsheet, and if I see anything out of norms without a reason (car repair, insurance, ect..) then I look into what I was doing to spend that much.

Edited by btq96r
1 minute ago, btq96r said:

Also helps me track and control spending easier.  The amount every 10 days goes into a spreadsheet, and if I see anything out of norms without a reason (car repair, insurance, ect..) then I look into what I was doing to spend that much.

OIC.

I use plastic on absolutely everything I possibly can, because they strangely pay me to do it.

- OS

On 9/26/2016 at 11:43 PM, Wingshooter said:

No thanks. 

The last thing I need is an IRS type agency in charge of my healthcare. "Death panels", rationing, long waits, red tape and an even bigger government  WOULD be a reality.

You just described the VA to a T.

just went to the marketplace web site. New plans up. offering two when I typed in my info. Bronze plan $4800 deductible out of pocket max $6550.00

Premium $754 or 46% more than I am paying now. :censored:

Second plan Silver $3500 deductible $7150 out of pocket max

Premium $964 or 86% more than I am paying now :mad:

The Farm Bureau has a plan not on the market plan for $667 a month deductible $5500 and $6550 out of pocket 29% more than paying now.

I call a local insurance agent. They told me thats it for Knoxville area unless you can be in a group. :mad:

Being self employed has it's draw backs.

1 hour ago, greenego said:

just went to the marketplace web site. New plans up.

Checked mine out too giving my zip code and got better averages than I was expecting. 

Then in the plans, this one seems the most enticing if I have to get coverage from the marketplace instead of through an employer.  Paying $193/month now...would jump up to what you see here.

Screenshot from 2016-10-27 15-52-23.png

Edited by btq96r
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/27/2016 at 4:55 PM, btq96r said:

Checked mine out too giving my zip code and got better averages than I was expecting. 

Then in the plans, this one seems the most enticing if I have to get coverage from the marketplace instead of through an employer.  Paying $193/month now...would jump up to what you see here.

Lucky you.  My only choice is Humana and the premium would be 36% more, a deductible $2k higher and an out-of-pocket maximum $2500 more than the plan I'm about to lose.  I did some zip code searching and surprisingly, Wyoming would be a lot higher premiums but Florida would be less than what I'm paying now.  Go figure....  Time to move to Florida!  At least then I can say my vote matters.  :P 

Oh well. We'll soon be on a single payer system ran by the Gubment and we all know how efficient and streamlined the Gubment is. You're deductible won't matter any longer. You'll die before you see a doctor anyway......UNLESS you are an illegal alien in which case you will have to notch care.

Edited by Randall53

My grandmother died a very wealthy woman by NEVER buying health insurance. Whan she needed it, she wrote a check to the doc, hospital, nursing home etc. at a greatly reduced rate. You have to remember, insurance companies are the CAUSE of medical rate inflation as providers must grossly overcharge on paper to realize a 13-20% margin. Furthermore, (most of you are too young to remember), medical insurance wasn't always the norm, and it was better like that. Folks got scared of paying off a few thou, and built quite the business on that fear to the tune of BILLIONS in "middleman" revenue. My advice is to take the penalty or flat out lie on your return. They deserve the same honesty we get from them in DC. Besides, no one is checking the data. AT ALL.

On 10/27/2016 at 4:55 PM, btq96r said:

That's about the same as what my $2B/yr, 4000 employee company is offering for next year. It's functionally a catastrophic coverage plan. Based on my medical expenses this year, it's borderline that there will be any benefit to having insurance.  But with kids, no real choice there. Yay. 

On 10/27/2016 at 3:55 PM, btq96r said:

That plan is a HDHP, high deductible health plan.  They should offer a standard pop type plan that should cost less with a lower deductible but higher out of pocket maximum.  Now the one advantage of a HDHP is that you can start a HSA or Health Saving Account.  You fund that account with pre tax dollars and use it to pay your medicals bills.  That way you are automatically getting a discount of whatever your tax rate is verse paying with after tax dollars.  

This type of plan is usually good for someone who has a lot of medicals bills or is very healthy.  Heres why.  If you have a lot of bills, HDHP plans usually have a lower out of pocket maximum than a traditional ppo.  Since they cost more up front, they make the back end lower.  It is also good for a really healthy person because they can start saving money up in the HSA.  If you fund your HSA for a couple of years you can the just let it sit and have the money to pay for medical expense in case of an emergency.  Unlike FSA's, flexible spending accounts, HSA's are not sue it or lose it accounts.  The money always rolls over from year to year.  The account also stays with if you leave the company or switch to a non HDHP plan.  

My employer is changing plans again this year. Going from Humana to BCBS and they are contributing less. New monthly premium is  going to be $575 / month. They are kicking in $175. They used to pay half. :wall:   so it's $450/ month.  Here's what I can do. Any insurance that costs more than 9.66% of your income is defined as unaffordable in the law.  9.66% of my income is more than $100  less than what I'd pay thru my job. This qualifies me for subsidies. It's looking like I can insure my wife and I both with a comparable plan on the marketplace for less than the new increased premiums at work which only covers me.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/03/2016 at 8:31 AM, NextExit said:

How nice of the government to do the heavy lifting for me.  They matched me with a plan and even emailed me a bill...all without my approval. :rolleyes:  I deleted it and blocked them as spam. :censored:

They did that for me too.  Humana even sent me a new insurance card.  The letter I got from the marketplace specifically said that it wasn't required for me to pay the premium or agree to anything with that company... Though I have a nagging suspicion that Humana will mark it on my credit report and sell the debt to a collector if I don't, as an admin "mistake" of course.

Edited by btq96r
  • 1 month later...

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/house-republicans-advance-measure-repeal-obamacare-n706716

The measure passed 227 to 198 with no Democrats supporting it and nine GOP members voting against it. Leadership was able to gain the support of enough Republicans to pass the bill, despite concerns among members worried there was no plan to replace Barack Obama's signature healthcare law.

:confused: So what the heck have they been doing for the last 4 years?  "Oh :poop:  The people have given us the House, Senate & White House...guess we better do something." 

7 minutes ago, NextExit said:

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/house-republicans-advance-measure-repeal-obamacare-n706716

:confused: So what the heck have they been doing for the last 4 years?  "Oh :poop:  The people have given us the House, Senate & White House...guess we better do something." 

They don't have a plan.  Otherwise, they'd be screaming it from every mountain top.