1 in 9 adults in TN now have HCP

20 hours ago, Just2Honor said:

Ratio would be higher if there was a way to factor felons and domestic violence offenders out of the total.  at least 1 in 8 adults?

The ratio would probably go up at least a tiny bit more if those of the ages between 18 and 20 were factored out as one must be 21 to get an HCP.  I don't know if that would take it to 1 in 7 but with those you mentioned being factored out, as well, 1 in 8 sounds like a pretty solid, scientific WAG.

Edited by JAB
2 hours ago, btq96r said:

Getting an HCP is one thing.  It's a start, but also an end for a lot of people.  Carrying everyday, everywhere you can, and caring about gun rights like we do is another matter entirely. 

That is sooo true. I know several people that have a permit ( men & women ), that do not carry on their person or in the vehicle. Usually at home in a dresser drawer, etc. A pity!

2 hours ago, Grunt67 said:

That is sooo true. I know several people that have a permit ( men & women ), that do not carry on their person or in the vehicle. Usually at home in a dresser drawer, etc. A pity!

I wonder how many still get the permit because they think they need it to carry in vehicle.

I myself first decided to get one just for that purpose, since I had an illegal one stashed in the car most of my adult life (and did get popped for it once, too).

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
5 hours ago, Oh Shoot said:

I wonder how many still get the permit because they think they need it to carry in vehicle.

I myself first decided to get one just for that purpose, since I had an illegal one stashed in the car most of my adult life (and did get popped for it once, too).

- OS

About the same here. I carried one in my vehicle for yrs. before we had permits. Never got caught tho. Did make me nervous once. Had a wreck in Atlanta, totaled the car. Was afraid the police would find it before I could retrieve it. Dodged a bullet out of state.

Most think "bad things" may happen at home, or they are safe by simply avoiding bad areas.  Actually just the opposite is true.   90% of attacks happen outside the home in the public arena.  Likely to happen in daylight or well-lit area.  One must develop and assume a carry life-style.  You can't call time out to retrieve your gun.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Grunt67 said:

About the same here. I carried one in my vehicle for yrs. before we had permits. Never got caught tho. Did make me nervous once. Had a wreck in Atlanta, totaled the car. Was afraid the police would find it before I could retrieve it. Dodged a bullet out of state.

Georgia considers your car to be an extension of your home. I was carrying legally in car in the 70's.

On 6/23/2016 at 8:33 PM, chances R said:

One must develop and assume a carry life-style.

This is probably where the line between casual gun owner, and, well...those like us here on TGO lies.  Like you say, it's a life-style.  

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, 300winmag said:

I don't know why you would spend the money on a handgun carry permit to not carry a handgun in public.  It's not like you need a permit to keep a handgun at your home, business, or car.

My point was that there are probably plenty of folks who don't know that. Especially regarding car, as that just changed less than two years ago.

- OS

• Like 2
My point was that there are probably plenty of folks who don't know that. Especially regarding car, as that just changed less than two years ago.

- OS

Well said, I know of many people who are unfamiliar with the "handgun in car law." Even more strange is the fact that I know people that are under the impression that you are not required to be a holder of an HCP in order to OPEN carry. It would be worth the time for people to familiarize themselves with our state laws from a reliable source rather than what Facebook says or what their friends told them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, 300winmag said:

I don't know why you would spend the money on a handgun carry permit to not carry a handgun in public.  It's not like you need a permit to keep a handgun at your home, business, or car.

Same reason people have gym memberships, yet never work out...or pay for anything else they wanted, but use.  Just felt like a good idea at the time, and simply didn't followed through.

1 hour ago, conn_air7 said:

It would be worth the time for people to familiarize themselves with our state laws from a reliable source rather than what Facebook says or what their friends told them.

Lulz...that's good one. :biglol:

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

As a owner from FL coming to Sevierville (family visit) have a FL CCP.

What are my options when walking the street of area's other than the Smokie's and Dollywood.

This wasn't a concern in May when we were there. We were only there for 3 days and most of that time was in the Smokie's, gun was in glovebox.

This visit >> Gatlinburg with trolley rides << you know visitor stuff!  :-)

58 minutes ago, Pops T said:

As a owner from FL coming to Sevierville (family visit) have a FL CCP.

What are my options when walking the street of area's other than the Smokie's and Dollywood.

This wasn't a concern in May when we were there. We were only there for 3 days and most of that time was in the Smokie's, gun was in glovebox.

This visit >> Gatlinburg with trolley rides << you know visitor stuff!  :-)

No reason to leave the gun in glove box in Smokies, as per federal law for quite a few years now you may carry in any National Park according to the carry laws of the state within which the park resides. Which means on the TN side, with your permit you may carry concealed or openly -- EXCEPT in federal buildings within the park, which are supposed to be posted.

Elsewhere in the state you can carry pretty much everywhere except school property or in buildings/businesses posted no firearms. City/county/state parks may have outdated "no gun" signs, but they no longer apply to folks with permits.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot