Reporter turned down on background check

3 minutes ago, Two Dogs said:

So, was he prosecuted under federal gun laws for lying on his 4473?

He did not lie on his 4473.  He was never convicted of domestic violence.

Steinberg did fill out an ATF 4473. he didn’t lie on the form which asks the respondent if they have ever been *convicted* in a court of a domestic violence misdemeanor and, apparently, Steinberg wasn’t convicted (even though you or I would have been convicted). He made a big deal about his arrest and his “come to Jesus” moment in the paper and in his book “Drunkard”. Because he doesn’t have a conviction, he also has a Firearm Owners Identification (FOID) card.

Steinberg didn’t pop hot on the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) check because he doesn’t have a conviction, and he didn’t lie on his ATF 4473.

Everyone in Chicago knows about his escapades as a drunk and a wife beater because he wrote about it, the staff at Maxon knew about his past and they denied his purchase based on Steinberg’s own admissions in his writings about it. The firearms dealer has the final say in whether you get a gun or not and because of Steinberg’s local reputation, they decided not to take a chance on him.

I was a journalist for years and purchased many guns without problem. So, I'm definitely not buying his "I was denied for being a journalist" argument. Of course, I produced fact-based content and wasn't out to ambush anyone with my work. This was definitely poetic justice on a karmic level.

• Like 1

The article states the seller has the final say; based on the buyer's very public record of being  dangerous (even though he DID come to Jesus) the seller was being prudent and could legitimately be concerned the buyer's  record was not current in the system.

As Nelson says so well, "ha ha"

• Like 1

I still believe he admitted an intent to commit a felony. He planned to buy a gun and then give it to the police. Then, he was convinced to sell it back to the dealer. Either would be a felony because buying a firearm with the express intent to transfer to another or to sell to another is considered a straw man purchase... as I understand the law.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, jgradyc said:

I still believe he admitted an intent to commit a felony. He planned to buy a gun and then give it to the police. Then, he was convinced to sell it back to the dealer. Either would be a felony because buying a firearm with the express intent to transfer to another or to sell to another is considered a straw man purchase... as I understand the law.

If he were arrested for transferring it back to the dealer, or turning it into the cops; then he would have a legitimate gripe they were doing it because he was a reporter.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, jgradyc said:

If I read the story correctly,  he never took possession of the weapon. And, if he purchased the gun with the intent to give to someone else, that is not a felony per se, only if the next party was a prohibited person and the buyer knew that, then that is a felony.  Of course, you can't purchase a weapon for someone else if they are providing the money, say to get an employee discount or something like that, even if the final recipient is not a prohibited person. So to be safe, its best to give a gift certificate or gift card so they can fill out the 4473 themselves.  Ain't weapon laws wonderfully easy to understand?  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Omega said:

If I read the story correctly,  he never took possession of the weapon. And, if he purchased the gun with the intent to give to someone else, that is not a felony per se, only if the next party was a prohibited person and the buyer knew that, then that is a felony.  

Right. You absolutely can buy a gun and give it to someone (Christmas present, etc) as long as the recipient is not prohibited from being able to own the gun. 

This guy did not get turned down for being a journalist....he got turned down for for being a known douche bag wife beater with an alcohol problem.

• Like 1