The LGBT case for Guns

In the NYT of all places!

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/06/22/opinion/the-lgbt-case-for-guns.html?hpw&rref=opinion&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=well-region&region=bottom-well&WT.nav=bottom-well&_r=1&referer=

"This is a call to L.G.B.T. people to take their own defense seriously, and to question the left-leaning institutions that tell them guns are bad, and should be left to the professionals. Become a professional. You’re allowed. That’s what the Second Amendment is for. We can fight back when our lives depend on it."

• Like 2

Very well written opinion piece.  Many salient points all over.

The Pink Pistols have seen their membership spike, and I hope it keeps growing.  I'm sorry it had to be an event Orlando that gets the LBGT community to have a serious conversation about this, but hopefully it will come to something. 

• Admin Team

I find it pretty humorous that there is a portion of our population that has somehow convinced themselves that "the gays" are just now finding guns in the wake of The Pulse shooting, and that there aren't a substantial number who have been carrying as long or longer as it's been legal to do so.

Guns really aren't a left or right issue. They're an American issue. And, like it or not the LGBT community is full of Americans. 

• Like 6

Jeff Bloovman of Armed Dynamics was featured in the Washington Post. Good to see that "gun people" are getting the word out and don't seem like crotchety old white men. Here's a link to his article https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/for-years-he-tried-to-get-other-gay-people-to-the-gun-range-would-they-come-now/2016/06/21/0f672b02-3724-11e6-9ccd-d6005beac8b3_story.html

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, MacGyver said:

I find it pretty humorous that there is a portion of our population that has somehow convinced themselves that "the gays" are just now finding guns in the wake of The Pulse shooting, and that there aren't a substantial number who have been carrying as long or longer as it's been legal to do so.

Guns really aren't a left or right issue. They're an American issue. And, like it or not the LGBT community is full of Americans. 

They may have guns, carry permits, and the like, but I would think that LBGT as a demographic are less likely to make carrying a daily habit like most of us here.  At least that's the vibe I get from those I have conversations with.

• Admin Team
2 minutes ago, btq96r said:

They may have guns, carry permits, and the like, but I would think that LBGT as a demographic are less likely to make carrying a daily habit like most of us here.  At least that's the vibe I get from those I have conversations with.

Could be.  I can't pretend to speak for that community.  

That said, I have several friends who are just like you and me - they don't expect anyone to come to their rescue.  They see defending themselves and their families as their job.  

More gun owners is a good thing.  If there are Americans, gay, straight or otherwise who are taking their protection more seriously, we're all the better for it.  

• Like 6

This is what I kinda don't understand. These people are Americans. I don't really care what their sexual preference is, they're Americans. I didn't fly the "gay pride" flag after the attack in Orlando, I flew the American flag. To me, it seems like we're playing right into the hands of those that would wish to divide us when we isolate people or ourselves, for that matter. I didn't think "wow, I bet there are some queers that are going to get themselves a gun now!", I thought "I bet there will be more Americans that exercise their rights". I wish I could articulate my feelings better, I just don't understand all the focus on the homosexual aspect. We lost Americans in that attack, not "gays".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

People as individuals like to label other people. It helps with their personal identity. This is the confusing part... I'm different because I identify as________ but I'm an American Citizen. People get too wrapped up in pointing out the differences. It's a distraction the media and politicians like to exploit.

As to gays with guns. I have found that when a member any group that has experienced violent attack decides to get serious about self defense that they frequently commit fully to it. Many times more completely than many of us here do.

I have a lot of gay friends that are Democrats because they believe that Republicans hate them. Then I know others that are Republicans, and some that are libertarians. I know several that are shooters. For the most part, all normal folks. In a lot of cases, you wouldn't know they are gay. 

When it comes to adding to the shooting community, the more the merrier.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, btq96r said:

They don't talk about what in their little ditty bags or under the shirt.  Remember some have a lot of practice not talking about themselves

I can't speak for all gay people any more than I can speak for all gun owners, but I got my permit two weeks after my 21st birthday and have carried since. I could probably count the number of times I was unarmed on one hand. My husband doesn't carry and has no interest in it, or guns in general. He can shoot and is familiar with all the firearms in our house, but that's about it.

I said right after the Orlando shooting that this might be an opportunity for republicans to make some headway with the gay community. That doesn't look as likely anymore, but I think there's still an opening for gun owners to introduce some new people to firearms. A lot of gay people do keep an eye out for anti-gay hatred in most of society, but "gay" places have been a chance to let your guard down. Orlando drove the point home that there are no safe spaces...for anyone, gay or straight. Evil exists, and you are responsible for you own safety.

I've spoken with a few people in the last couple of weeks that are interested in shooting, carrying, and looking out for themselves. I hate that it took a tragedy to get their attention, but nothing we can do about that. I know a lot of gays that have carried for a long time, but that's partially because birds of a feather flock together. No surprise that most of my friends are pro gun, gay or straight so I can't say "most gays carry" because my sample size is relatively small. This has definitely gotten more people interested though, and that's a good thing.

Armed gays don't get bashed. [emoji106]

• Like 8
5 hours ago, MacGyver said:

I don't think it is that these individuals are 'just now' discovering guns.  I do think, however, that the individuals among that group who are really cognizant of the need to be prepared for self defense or who even own, much less carry, a gun are probably the minority.  Heck, the author of the opinion piece in the OP even says as much.  I guess because (broadly speaking) the 'community' is more likely to be aligned with the left on other issues the whole 'anti-gun' ideology kind of comes with the package.  The beauty is that if, as a 'community', the majority of such individuals could be convinced otherwise then that would likely greatly serve to erode the left's support base on gun control not only among LGBT individuals but also among others who might stand a greater chance of having their opinions swayed by individuals who are, otherwise, still going to be more left-leaning than by more conservative groups.

Edited by JAB
7 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

It's always nice when folks as a community start to realize that...

image.jpeg

Another way to look at that (assuming one sees Lincoln as the good guy), is that his bodyguard was downstairs goofing off at the time Booth showed up to shoot him, so there indeed was no good guy with a gun to stop him.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
3 hours ago, 56FordGuy said:

My husband doesn't carry and has no interest in it, or guns in general. He can shoot and is familiar with all the firearms in our house, but that's about it.

I didn't know you were a woman. 

Edited by Capbyrd
  • Moderators
34 minutes ago, Oh Shoot said:

Another way to look at that (assuming one sees Lincoln as the good guy), is that his bodyguard was downstairs goofing off at the time Booth showed up to shoot him, so there indeed was no good guy with a gun to stop him.

- OS

Haha. I see how that case could be made. It's wrong, but makes a certain kind of sense to those who refuse to see Lincoln as the monster he was. 

• Like 2
Just now, XxthejuicexX said:

You might still be able to convince him to dump his husband.... ;)

I've never been gay before but I might give it a shot.  What say you 56, you ever been with a straight bear before?  

• Like 1