Open carry experience at Staples

I've finally had the first incident that made me concerned with someone carrying a firearm.

I'm working on a research paper for class and needed some supplies, so I head on down to Staples and get some things. I'm walking around and checking things out when I suddenly see a guy that is extremely out of place. I duck around a corner and kind of eyeball him to see what's going on.

I see an old man, overweight, straggly grey hair, black beret with a variety of pins, wearing a greenish/grey button up shirt and shorts. He's also equipped with a cane, a satchel of some kind, and is open carrying his firearm and ammo pouches on his belt. My only thought was that I was sure I had seen this getup in an old 80s movie at some point.. I have no idea of this guys qualifications. He may be old military just enjoying himself or he's out playing dress up... 

He's done nothing wrong, done nothing suspicious, he's just extremely out of the ordinary. So I do my shopping and try to keep a note of where he is in the store. 

He's at the register when I get there. I do my best to look uninterested in him while still watching him out of the corner of my eye. Suddenly he puts his hand on his gun. I'm on full alert now and my mind starts to race. I try to keep doing my uninterested bit while watching him out of the corner of my eye hard and slide my hand closer to my gun I have under my shirt in case I need it fast. 

A few seconds later he suddenly starts to pull it out. I hear gun on kydex sound anytime you holster/unholster a firearm. I feel every hair on my body stand straight up and feel like I've had a jolt of lightning shot through me. At this point, I have my hand on my gun, still under my shirt.  My head is racing on what's about to happen, what could happen, what I should be doing. Should I be pulling my gun, is this guy just screwing around and showing off, should I just wait and play it cool. A hundred thoughts racing like a freight train one after another.

So I grip my gun and wait another heartbeat as he pulls it half way out.... and then slides it right back in.

My first thought, of course, was WHAT THE F....! My next thought was to scream at him WHAT THE F... ARE YOU DOING!

The lady in front finishes checking out and he moves up next in line...  so instead of screaming I take a second to calm myself, take a breath I didn't know I had been holding, and go back to normal.

It's the first time, as long as I've had my permit, that ever even thought I might actually need my gun and need to pull it.

Wow!  My guess (after reading the whole story) is that he probably has a bad habbit of playing with it and forgot that he was in public. However, that's a terribly bad habbit that can get him or someone else hurt. I think you handled it well and did a good job staying alert.

I'll keep an eye out for this guy while shopping in Cleveland.

• Like 4

Dude, I was just picking up some envelopes to mail some letters. Sorry you didn't like my attire.

Just kidding. Might be someone on the forum though.

Good job keeping your eyes open. I am glad there are people like you ready to take action to protect themselves and potentially others. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4
  • Moderators

Wow. People do develop dumb habits. This tops the list.

Reminds me of this though. My Wife performs modern ballet. We were at the Princess Theatre in South Pittsburg, TN. I was upstairs shooting photos and there was one other husband with me. Halfway through one of the shows at night two officers come in upstairs, it's just the four of us total. Well, they stay about five minutes and then leave. The other Husband gives me the biggest "what just happened face". He tells me later that since it was dark in the theatre the male cop pulls his gun out of his holster and uses his flashlight on the gun for navigation. Couldn't believe it.

• Like 2

It sure will be mighty fearful times when the SHTF. Reading these two stories reminds me of one of the very few things my father told me about his service as an Officer in the Wehrmacht during WWII. During any type of discussion or confrontation, once a hand went to rest on a holstered gun, someone had to back down or it was game on. Wonder how many jokers will survive the transition form peace time la-la land to SHTF days. Not looking forward to it, but as they say, Its in Gods hands.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, CZ9MM said:

Wow. People do develop dumb habits. This tops the list.

Reminds me of this though. My Wife performs modern ballet. We were at the Princess Theatre in South Pittsburg, TN. I was upstairs shooting photos and there was one other husband with me. Halfway through one of the shows at night two officers come in upstairs, it's just the four of us total. Well, they stay about five minutes and then leave. The other Husband gives me the biggest "what just happened face". He tells me later that since it was dark in the theatre the male cop pulls his gun out of his holster and uses his flashlight on the gun for navigation. Couldn't believe it.

Retired FBI agent I work with tells about the guys using their gunlights to look at maps and things on the job. Said he always hollered at them to STOP that crap, lol.

2 minutes ago, Steelharp said:

Retired FBI agent I work with tells about the guys using their gunlights to look at maps and things on the job. Said he always hollered at them to STOP that crap, lol.

Yeah, I've seen that and using them to clear rooms on businesses where burglar alarms activated etc. Burned up a lot of expensive batteries using a weapon light as a flashlight. As to people drawing attention to themselves doing the OC thing. I've seen some who stood out like a neon sign and others you wouldn't notice. I've seen the same with people trying to do concealed carry, its about piking the right equipment for your body build and preferred style of dress then knowing how to do it.  

Yeah. It's funny to watch the reaction of women customers particularly, when I explain that carrying a weapon is going to require wardrobe adjustments if they plan to carry on body. Whenever I explain that IWB is going to require them to buy the next size pant to make room for the gun, they sure get huffy. "I am not ABOUT to buy bigger clothes! Forget it!" lol

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Steelharp said:

Yeah. It's funny to watch the reaction of women customers particularly, when I explain that carrying a weapon is going to require wardrobe adjustments if they plan to carry on body. Whenever I explain that IWB is going to require them to buy the next size pant to make room for the gun, they sure get huffy. "I am not ABOUT to buy bigger clothes! Forget it!" lol

You could always suggest they lose a couple inches, see where that gets you.:hiding:

• Like 8

I was approached in the Walmart in Dayton last week by a fellow OC a high point 45 in a belt slide. I was looking at ammo as I waited for others to complete their shopping. He tried to start a conversation about poor customer service and also asked what I carry. While he was nice enough, the way he approached me wasn't confidence inspiring. I politely excused myself and moved on. I think others would have been less accepting. 

I did notice others giving him a wide berth. Open carry in that situation needs the most competen, positive face put on it..

Just my 0.02$

• Like 1

In fact that was his complaint... too heavy. He had a belt around his sweat pants. It was tight enough to cut off circulation. 

Wish I had a pic, but no opportunity to do it with out asking him permission and I didn't really want more conversation....

1 hour ago, Sidecarist said:

In fact that was his complaint... too heavy. He had a belt around his sweat pants. It was tight enough to cut off circulation. 

Wish I had a pic, but no opportunity to do it with out asking him permission and I didn't really want more conversation....

I'm sure he made quite a pro gun statement. WTF is wrong with some people?

While I think he is harmless, I wouldn't want to hang out with him. I seriously considered trying to talk to him about poor judgment and the poor image he presented, but I don't think he would have cared, and likely would have been insulted. No sense in creating a scene in the walmart gun dept...

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 1:25 PM, Wingshooter said:
On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 1:25 PM, Wingshooter said:

I dunno... wearing a tightly cinched belt around sweat pants... in Walmart... sounds like he might fit right in :rofl:

1006.jpg

I believe the sweatpants thing's been done before....

1 hour ago, Sidecarist said:

His wife?

With Cuff cases!?

LOL...I haven't figured out if that was an actual LEO or armed security guard headed home from training or what but it was a good picture. You didn't even mention the house shoes. But then w/o knowing the pic's actual history who knows.