If you could only have one gun, what would it be?

http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-hammer-coach-12-20-fixed-cyl-bore/

With  rifled sub caliber insert for .22 WMR and a black powder adapter insert.

http://www.gunadapters.com/

That takes are of foraging and basic firearms defense as well as affording you the opportunity to obtain a more effective long gun someone else doesn't need any longer should things have degenerated into that level of savagery.

Probably a Glock 17 or 19.  I originally thought some variant of an AR, but as was mentioned, can't conceal a rifle.  Unless we're talking about a massive shift in society, a good pistol that will last a while is the best all around weapon if I'm limited to one, IMO.

Lever action .30-30.

Winchester or Marlin (Probably Marlin for the scope options)

Can & will take anything I'd ever come across, regardless of leg-count. Happy to be loaded super light with round balls for tiny game or heavy for big game. Totally happy with black powder, in case that ever became important.....

Short, light, ever so handy. It's almost like an AR, but for grown ups :bowrofl:

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, robtattoo said:

Lever action .30-30.

Winchester or Marlin (Probably Marlin for the scope options)

Can & will take anything I'd ever come across, regardless of leg-count. Happy to be loaded super light with round balls for tiny game or heavy for big game. Totally happy with black powder, in case that ever became important.....

Short, light, ever so handy. It's almost like an AR, but for grown ups :bowrofl:

What he said...

30-30 also for me.

I'd keep my pre-64 model '94 30wcf. I could cast and load it for a while.  I'd walk with a limp,  but I could conceal it down a pant leg if I had to, lol. I can hunt and defend with it plus it worked well in the days when peeps really did only have one. I'm accurate and fast enough with it too.

Too many unanswered variables to make an informed decision so I'll do this:

Long gun ATM I'll pick my 10.5" .300 Blackout, good close-in SD weapon in suppressed or supper.  In a pinch can  be used at longer ranges.

Pistol, I'll stick with my Glock 23, has not failed me yet.  While arguably the .40 is not better than the 9mm or the .45, but equal IMO, it makes holes where I want them and the 180 grain Speer Gold Dots will drop any threat as long as I do my job.  It's easily concealed, runs like a well oiled machine and you would be hard pressed to find a more dependable gun.

Really interesting responses. When thinking about the question, it didn't occur to me that people would use pistols as their choice.  It makes me realize that we all had to make some assumptions.

My assumption was more toward thinking about society breaking down, possible civil war or the US changing from a democracy to a dictatorship.  I don't view our society as stable to the point that those can't happen.  Also, I thought about being able to hunt.

A lot of folks made different assumptions and opted for concealed carry.  

I'll also have to say that a lever action rifle covers a wider set of variables that I thought about.

2 minutes ago, Pete123 said:

A rifle and a pistol are two guns.  As they famous line from a movie, which I can't remember, says, "There can only be one"

Only if you defer to the ATF's definition,  my 10.5" AR is considered a pistol by them, but throw a stock on it and bam, it's a rifle.

6 minutes ago, Pete123 said:

A rifle and a pistol are two guns.  As they famous line from a movie, which I can't remember, says, "There can only be one"

It’s a trick question then; no one can get by with one gun.

• Like 2