If you could only have one gun, what would it be?

On June 25, 2016 at 10:47 PM, glowdotGlock said:

I only carry 9mm but if I could only have one gun it would have to be a 10mm G20.

Yes, and if you want to really get technical it is the most versatile Glock because it can shoot more calibers with barrel changes than any of the others. You could do more with a 21 but it would take a lot more than just barrels to do it. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, BillOReitz_II said:

Not enough info on current realities of the scenario.

Yeah, that's life though brother and that's what 'I' felt the OP meant by the question.  Only one gun...who knows what tomorrow holds.  

Tough call, I've narrowed it down to one of these 2:

Marlin 1894C .357mag/38spl

Smith & Wesson 5906 9mm

Both of these have proven themselves to be very reliable and accurate. Ammo is common for both and I am set up to reload for either one.

No question - my Ruger GP100 (or a similar, four inch barreled .357 revolver.)  Four inch barrel is enough to get pretty good 'oomph' out of stout .357 loads while still being concealable.  Being an overbuilt Ruger revolver, I wouldn't worry about shooting those stout loads out of it (I don't mean 'overdriven' loads, just good, stout loads.)  I also believe that such a revolver would be capable of taking any wild game in the continental United States.  In fact, unless I am mistaken, as part of the publicity for the roll out of the then new .357 Magnum cartridge and handgun, D.B. Wesson harvested every large game animal in the country with a .357 handgun - someone correct me if I am wrong.

The .357 cartridge is also plenty capable of stopping two-legged predators.  The revolver can also fire .38 Special and .38 +P ammo - which, honestly, would probably be plenty for the aforementioned two-legged predators.  My decision is also influenced by the fact that .38 Special is the only ammo I have reloaded (and it is pretty easy to do.)

Now, would I expect to survive a conflict with five or six armed, determined attackers armed 'only' with the GP100 and a few speed strips?  Well, I guess that depends on what kind of cover I can find but honestly, no.  However, Rambo fantasies aside, folks should ask themselves if they really think they would walk away from the same conflict - with the same amount of cover - with a semiauto pistol or even a shotgun or rifle.  If so, those folks are certainly more of an 'operator' than I will ever be.  Reality is that, generally speaking, numbers are going to win and five or six folks shooting at me are probably going to shut me down before even my 'low capacity' six shooter runs dry so I personally believe that the whole 'semiautos have greater ammo capacity' thing is a non-issue in such a situation.  But, hey, that is just my choice.

1 hour ago, Johnny Rotten said:

Are you serious, where's your ammo? A 1 minute burst out of a 30 cal ammo can...lol 

The OP asked if I could only have one gun what would it be.  There was no mention or implication to justify practicality or portability.

• Like 1

Pete, keep your M1,  I want to go with my "rebuilt-by-me" M1 Carbine.

My concern is zombies will disrupt the delivery of .30cal...the Achilles heel of retired military caliber firearms.

6ish lbs, handy from <10' - 150', 25 round mag = 16.1oz. Easy to reload (so I hear) easy to maintain in the field and swap out parts and right now, easy enough to buy replacement parts and put them up.

Bayonet lug If needed for up close and personal zombie work.

What's not to like?

Oh well, if you're talking zombies.....

First choice would be my Osage long bow. Basically indestructible, replaceable in under 6 hours (as long as I have a knife to whittle with). Unlimited ammunition (there are sticks & rocks EVERYWHERE!) can be used like a spear, staff, walking stick or pike. It's absolutely silent, quick to reload & super light to carry (5oz)

Second choice.... Fully silenced (what class 3?) .22 lever gun.

Edited by robtattoo
  • Like 1

For zombies and my budget is unlimited I'm taking a Rifle Dynamics/Silencerco SBR in 300 Blackout with an Omega silencer. I'd throw an Aimpoint T2, a Surefire Scout, and a SOE two point sling on there and be good to go. If you're interested here's the links https://silencerco.com/summit/rifle-dynamics/ and http://soldiersystems.net/2015/01/18/get-this-300-blk-krink-collab-between-rifle-dynamics-and-silencerco/

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

ok, so a lot of folks are going with the AR platform.  How will you address the need to have to pummel them sometimes?  I definitely give up some modern advantages with the M1 Garand, though you cold beat the crap out of a zombie if needed.  Mine would have to be re-fitted with a better steel butt plate.  Probably use the K98 as a model.  

Why chance knocking off your scope/sights by hitting something with your rifle.  It's a precision instrument.  Treat it as such.

This thread says we are only allowed one gun.  We were never told we weren't allowed an accompanying ball bat or machete.  

Edited by Caster
1 hour ago, Pete123 said:

ok, so a lot of folks are going with the AR platform.  How will you address the need to have to pummel them sometimes?  I definitely give up some modern advantages with the M1 Garand, though you cold beat the crap out of a zombie if needed.  Mine would have to be re-fitted with a better steel butt plate.  Probably use the K98 as a model.  

That is what the machete is for!  I can't even see using a bayonet off of any weapons platform, too easy to get it stuck and no matter how hardened a butstock is, eventually you will damage it. 

Ok, talking zombies again brings up more questions, are we talking Walking Dead zombies or World War Z zombies, WD zombies I'll stick with my original 300Blk with a can, WWZ zombies I may have to upgrade to at least an M134 minigun.

Okay then for the practical answer to a hypothetical Sci-Fi situation.  It would be something light weight, semi-compact, quiet and have the ability to carry large amounts of ammunition.  I'm thinking an integrally suppressed Ruger 10-22.  I would add a folding stock, a couple of BX-50's and pair with a substantial machete type blade on my side.

DIvyK.jpg