If you could only have one gun, what would it be?

While that seems masochistic on the surface, that is actually a decent enough choice.  

The cartridge's true potential is no mystery.  

The case has a long neck to properly support a cast bullet and can be dialed back to cream puff territory with ease. A round ball could be loaded and easily take small game without destroying it.

The exact same could be said for the .458, only with a wider selection of bullet molds to work with.  

Edited by Caster
18 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

Ruger #1 Tropical in 375 H&H. 

If you going for zombie dinosaurs ditch the whimpy 375 H&H and go the the .358-.378RG or the .416.  Of course the realm of ridiculousness can go on to dang near artillery shells.

217924717875326.jpg

Left to Right:7mm Remington Magnum, .358-378 RG, .375 H&H Magnum, .416 Weatherby Magnum

so we switched from zombies to the return of the dinosaur...

For dinos, I'll go with an Alexander Arms semi auto 338 Lapua and a good brake. That's not too much gun to carry around, yet it should crack a T-rex skull.

On second thought, might as well just go with a 50BMG and defend my hilltop :)

Edited by Wingshooter

If we're talking normal life and for some crazy reason I have to keep just one, Glock 19.

For slow TWD zombies or a non-zombie EOTWAWKI, an SBR AR along with a .22 conversion bolt/mag. I was thinking AK, but I think 5.56/.223 ammo would be more plentiful to scavenge. Suppressed would be nice too.

For fast WWZ / 28 Days Later zombies, I'm with Caster. Whatever has a short barrel that will fit in my mouth.

Wow...we are changing adversaries pretty quickly here. :)

I'd still go with a G 19 because I could have it with me...all the time...wherever I am.

But I'd also toss in a Kukri or a good Tomahawk... with dinosaurs and zombies running all over the place I could probably pick up an AR or AK...or two... when the dust settled. :rolleyes: 

5 hours ago, Wingshooter said:

so we switched from zombies to the return of the dinosaur...

For dinos, I'll go with an Alexander Arms semi auto 338 Lapua and a good brake. That's not too much gun to carry around, yet it should crack a T-rex skull.

On second thought, might as well just go with a 50BMG and defend my hilltop :)

Got you covered

2012-05-02_17-10-55_963_zpsd9a56705.jpg

I'm retracting my post from a couple days ago and I'm going with this now

CLGHw7DUsAQ-tLM_zpsdpqu2xk1.jpg

• Like 1

Well, now, a 'zombie apocalypse' scenario changes things as we are now talking about hordes of assailants who would not be shooting back.  I don't own a Beretta Neos but for that kind of situation I just might have to opt for a Neos with the carbine conversion kit.  That is still only one gun - it just (easily?) converts from a pistol to a carbine and back, again.  If we are talking about Walking Dead zombies then apparently a good bump on the head will take them out so .22LR should be enough and it would be fairly quiet.  The biggest drawback would possibly be ammo reliability.  As for ammo availability, if we are suspending disbelief enough to be fighting zombies then we can take it a little further and suspend disbelief enough to buy that .22LR ammo is still easy to find.

Of course, being that the rule of law probably isn't going to apply in a zombie apocalypse maybe I would still go with the GP100 and simply make some kind of home-made 'buntline' type setup for it.  Or maybe even do a self-build along the lines of a Serbu super-shorty.  Heck, for that matter I'd probably try to locate a National Guard walker or two and pick up something with select fire.

For dinosaurs are we talking Jurassic Park where there are just a few that have escaped or are we talking a full-on, global return to life?  For the first scenario it might be interesting to see what my Mosin-Nagant would do.  Of course, just because it might penetrate the skull of a T-Rex doesn't mean it would be effective.  If you have ever seen a T Rex skull or full-sized model up close, they were quite large.  Big enough that they could probably fit a 5 year old child in their mouth without having to chomp them into bites, first.  It is possible/probable that T-Rex had some empty channels/chambers/air spaces in their skulls so it wouldn't be like you were trying to shoot through thick, solid bone.  Their brain, however, was pretty small.  In other words, hitting their head would be easy, penetrating the bone would be possible but hitting the brain would probably be quite difficult unless you knew exactly where to aim and got them to stand still while you did.  So for the first scenario where there are just a few, isolated dinosaurs running loose I guess my Mosin-Nagant would work as long as I know exactly where to target.  For the second scenario - worldwide return of dinosaurs - I'd say, "Take off and nuke 'em from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure."

6 hours ago, Omega said:

That is what the machete is for!  I can't even see using a bayonet off of any weapons platform, too easy to get it stuck and no matter how hardened a butstock is, eventually you will damage it. 

Ok, talking zombies again brings up more questions, are we talking Walking Dead zombies or World War Z zombies, WD zombies I'll stick with my original 300Blk with a can, WWZ zombies I may have to upgrade to at least an M134 minigun.

I'm with you - and you did put the machete on there. 

I'm not a zombie expert, and don't know the different types, so let's say that you can kill them, though with a little more effort than it would be to take out a person.

Good point on damaging the rifle when used as a weapon. Besides, doing anything to damage an M1 would be sacrilege, even in a zombie apocalypse.  Given the scenario, I can't see a reason that you couldn't carry a baseball bat, hammer, machete or similar object.

Edited by Pete123

Can I get a do over?

I want this back for WD zombies.....

410002.jpg

Silenced Air Arms S410 It's a 10 shot, magazine fed .22 air rifle I had on my fire arms license back in the UK. When I say "silenced" I'm not kidding. When you pulled the trigger, all you heard was the 'tic' of valve opening. At 50yds, I'd be happy taking a headshot with it.

Also, in a dinosaur/zombie crossover situation (why don't we toss in zombie dinosaurs, just to be sporty ;) ) Imma want something that the phrase 'cyclic rate' applies to.

3 hours ago, Pete123 said:

I'm with you - and you did put the machete on there. 

I'm not a zombie expert, and don't know the different types, so let's say that you can kill them, though with a little more effort than it would be to take out a person.

Good point on damaging the rifle when used as a weapon. Besides, doing anything to damage an M1 would be sacrilege, even in a zombie apocalypse.  Given the scenario, I can't see a reason that you couldn't carry a baseball bat, hammer, machete or similar object.

Just watch Walking dead then watch World War Z or 28days later.

WWZ/28 days later zombies are like a human with the speed of a cheetah on cocaine. I don't care who you are, no human can shoot a semi auto fast enough to combat even a few of those. I prefer the slow walkers of Walking dead. Quite honestly WWZ type zombies scare the shiite out of me, and a virus epidemic could very well cause it.

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, nightrunner said:

WWZ/28 days later zombies are like a human with the speed of a cheetah on cocaine. I don't care who you are, no human can shoot a semi auto fast enough to combat even a few of those. I prefer the slow walkers of Walking dead. Quite honestly WWZ type zombies scare the shiite out of me, and a virus epidemic could very well cause it.

YES!  The Walking Dead is a great show but full on BS. Nothing will ever animate emaciated necrotic flesh.  

....Now, I Am Legend????   Yes, that crap is within the realm of possibility and scary as hell.  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, nightrunner said:

They aren't zombies in 28 Days/Weeks Later. Don't have to shoot 'em in the head to kill 'em, though that's certainly most effective, just like with normal people. They also eventually starve to death.

- OS

1 hour ago, Caster said:

YES!  The Walking Dead is a great show but full on BS. Nothing will ever animate emaciated necrotic flesh.  

....Now, I Am Legend????   Yes, that crap is within the realm of possibility and scary as hell.  

I Am Legend and Book of Eli both got me thinking and started preparing for a "what if..." after I watched them. Very different scenarios, both very real possibilities. Book of Eli probably more so, I don't want to have to think about what may or may not be left after a nuclear war here in the US of that magnitude. If it were an I Am Legend type scenario it would seem to be a little easier to rely on your stock pile of goods until the initial hysteria, etc died off and then you could further fortify and forage. 

I suppose my firearm of choice for just having one gun would be either my Franken-AR or the Remington 870 12 gauge. Probably lean toward the AR for more capacity. Both rounds should be easy to scavenge in a SHTF scenario, and both rounds are very practical and capable of doing what you need them to. 

The idea of a pistol crossed my mind but if you're using your pistol, aren't you using it to get to your long gun? 

4 hours ago, Wingshooter said:

Why haven't I ever seen "I Am Legend"?? Sounds like I need to fix that.

Also, check out its two predecessors, The Last Man on Earth (Vincent Price) and The Omega Man (Charlton Heston). All three based on the Matheson story.

- OS

• Like 3
  • Moderators
Also, check out its two predecessors, The Last Man on Earth (Vincent Price) and The Omega Man (Charlton Heston). All three based on the Matheson story.

- OS

And read the book. It is better than all of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2
23 hours ago, Pete123 said:

JAB, I hadn't realized that zombies can shoot back, again, not a zombie expert.  

Must have been some confusion.  I said that zombies change things because we would be dealing with hordes of attackers who would not be shooting back.  What I meant by that was in that scenario I would value higher capacity over brute force plus one would be able to take their time a little more and go for head shots as one would not be worried about incoming fire (just incoming - hopefully Walking Dead style, fairly slow moving - corpses.)

Edited by JAB