SCHOOL ME ON 9MM CARBINES

ballz71

Looking to build or possibly buy a 9mm carbine. My question are should i build a 9mm AR? (Do i go with dedicated receiver or receiver block? Do i go with Glock or Colt mags?) Or should i look else where like a MechTech conversion for Glock or a Kaltec s2000? Is there any other options out there that i might be over looking?

23 minutes ago, Mindless-Focus said:

There's also the Scorpion carbine or pistol out there. It's really good. 

I toyed with the idea of building an AR in 9mm or buying one. Seemed like the builds are hit and miss on reliability and the buys are expensive to get something that runs good.

So I saved up and got the Scorpion Carbine last weekend. I've only had it out to the range once, but that one time was pure bliss. I tried a Hi-Point carbine before that and while it's really fun and easy to operate, I just wanted something better.

To muddy your waters, both Ruger and Marlin made 9mm carbines, they occasionally pop up.

Taurus had / has one, based on their LE model. The review I read said this 600-800 gun took 10 round proprietary mags...

I've  got the flawless bottom rung,  a HP995, other than the 10 round mag, it runs and is fun

• Like 1

I also have the HP995TS and enjoy shooting it.  It's a great improvement over the original "Planet of the Apes" gun.  It does not like hollow points or Promag 15 round magazines though.  Been toying with the idea of buying some Redball mags, which have a 20rd capacity, to see how they do.

• Like 2

If you can find a Marlin Camp-9 that hasn't been beat and butchered, then upgrade the recoil spring [wolff makes them] and buy a few spare recoil buffers you will be quite happy.  They are surprisingly accurate and reliable.  You will aslo have a good excuse to buy a 59 series Smith; They share magazines.  I lament selling my 5906 for this very reason.

My Camp-9 has been all that and a bag of chips.  I went with a heavier spring, new buffer and did take the pain in the butt time to remove the magazine disconnect.  Well worth the effort as the magazines go in and out MUCH smoother now.  

I have a KelTek sub2000 gen 2 that I like very much. Accurate and light weight. Mine is the Glock version and will use a 33rnd mag. It has top and bottom rails standard and I added Magpul side rails. Also added a Magpul forward hand grip (slanted type) and a sling. It looks mean and still folds. Kinda hard to not to send a bookoo of lead downrange with it.    

I built mine.  It is a Spikes lower with a mag block and a YHM dedicated upper (16" but planning to SBR at some point).  Of all the different caliber AR style rifles I have it is by far my favorite to shoot. Smooth, fairly quiet, dead on accurate.  Suppressed it turns heads at the range...I am constantly approached by people asking questions and wanting to try it. 

I saw build it.

I think you have to ask yourself what you really want. I shoot AR pattern rifles for the most part and I carry Glock pistols so a AR that accepts Glock magazines made sense. It has ran like crazy for around 700 rounds so far without a hiccup. On the opposite end of the spectrum, I have a Hipoint 995TS like the poster above. I may have $300 in it all together. It, just like my 9mm AR, has never stumbled. I've fed it every 9mm weight and bullet type I've had and it has digested it. Both can be a lot of fun. Like I said, I think it comes down to what you want and what you want to spend. Pic of my two 653cba0432deb31e5acbe4cac7f88a75.jpg

• Like 4

I have a Bushmaster Carbon-15 9mm that has never missed a beat.  I gave about $800 for it with 8 mags.  Not sure what it is good for, but I still like it.  May be worthwhile if they are still made. 

Edited by deerslayer

If you already have a bunch of Glock 33 rounders, the Glock mag lowers make sense.

If not, I like the Colt pattern mags better... ASC makes them for Colt and IWI, and they sell them themselves cheaper than any Glock mag.  They're also double-feed, which can make loading faster.

I built mine on a CMMG dedicated 9mm lower and it runs like a raped ape.   A mag block gives you more flexibility, but is never going to be as reliable as a dedicated lower.  

There are a lot of cool 9mm carbine options out now, but IMHO the AR pattern is the best of the bunch, if for no other reason than the gazillion options for triggers and furniture.

• Like 1

Back in 2012 I also wanted a 9mm carbine and saw some potential in the MPA 971. Stock, its an unwieldy tank. just terrible. So I re-machined it taking off nearly 3 lbs of dead weight. Added a heat shield and AKM wood up front, AR hammer and centered the FAL lower under the Cobray upper. It uses stock Cobray M11 "semi" bolts. Great shooter with the HD mil spec sumoi 72 round drums.

P1050811.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks, I like QD every thing so aside from the upper receiver stripping like a FAL, I made the front end a one detent button take down. Push in this detent, spin off the flash surpressor and bingo everything just slips off the barrel! I love farting around with this stuff when I have time.

P1050810.jpg

P1050807.jpg

P1050806.jpg

• Like 2