heavy metal

So i got home on fri. and had a package waiting for me from Underwood ammo. On the left is a 700gr. hard cast lead, the right one is a 350 gr. extreme penetrator s&w500, the middle is a 45 jhp for size reference. i will say the 700gr. is a handful in a 4" but it is so much fun to shoot.

500 bigun.JPG

• Like 3

Can someone edumacate me?  One of those rounds has a wadcutter bullet. 

I was under the impression that wad cutters were usually lower powered and meant for a perfect hole in targets.

It's hard to imagine anything being low powered in this round.  Are there other good applications for them as well?

Why would lead be a problem for a magnum load?

Also, that's not a wadcutter.  It just has a massive meplat.  I would rather have a heavy cast bullet with a large meplat than most any of the whizzbang BS gimmick jacketed bullets out there.  Debate ballistics all you like but HOLES KILL STUFF.  Slow and heavy will out penetrate light and fast every single time.  That cast load will put a hole through a deer you can almost see daylight through.  Consequently, he will spew blood like a hot can of beer.  

If that cast load proves accurate, Get in touch with Tom at Accurate Molds and he will cut you a mold identical to it. Then you can load it for a fraction of what you paid for those.  

*groan*

Where DOES this crap come from?  

Obviously I've been preaching to a synagogue full of empty pews for years now.

Leading is a result of poor fit and RARELY a result of velocity.  A properly fitted plain base bullet of the appropriate alloy for the target velocity will have NO issues getting up to 1600-1700 FPS.  Gas checked, Well over 2K.

The myth and lie of leading is perpetuated by people who either don't or can't understand that you can't just slap stuff together and expect it to work.  OR, people who buy purchased cast loads/bullets that are NOT of the appropriate diameter.  Why the industry insists on selling all these undersized bullet and junk sht lube that is nothing more than melted crayons is beyond me.  

The OP's particular load is running 1200 fps.  This velocity can be easily achieved and honestly, wouldn't require the "hard cast" alloy they claim to use.  Obviously dead soft ain't gonna cut it, but air cooled wheel weights would work perfectly.  BUT it's impossible to make a cast load for EVERY bore out there so running a little harder alloy with a gas check as Underwood is doing is a good stop gap measure to ensure a fair quality product for all guns it'll be used in.  Not what I would do BUT I would only be doing it for the ONE gun.  They are selling to masses. 

There are folks that have pushed cast lead past 2500 fps with success but that takes a LOT of work.  Still doable though.  

Hey Jewell, sorry buddy.  Don't take my rant personally.  It's just mind numbing where all the gun myths and half truths come from and how they manage to not only perpetuate but even propagate.  

*uuuggghhh!!!*

Edited by Caster
2 minutes ago, Caster said:

*groan*

Where DOES this crap come from?  

Obviously I've been preaching to a synagogue full of empty pews for years now.

Leading is a result of poor fit and RARELY a result of velocity.  A properly fitted plain base bullet of the appropriate alloy for the target velocity will have NO issues getting up to 1600-1700 FPS.  Gas checked, Well over 2K.

The myth and lie of leading is perpetuated by people who either don't or can't understand that you can't just slap stuff together and expect it to work.  OR, people who buy purchased cast loads/bullets that are NOT of the appropriate diameter.  Why the industry insists on selling all these undersized bullet and junk sht lube that is nothing more than melted crayons is beyond me.  

The OP's particular load is running 1200 fps.  This velocity can be easily achieved and honestly, wouldn't require the "hard cast" alloy they claim to use.  Obviously dead soft ain't gonna cut it, but air cooled wheel weights would work perfectly.  

There are folks that have pushed cast lead past 2500 fps with success but that takes a LOT of work.  Still doable though.  

Hey Jewell, sorry buddy.  Don't take my rant personally.  It's just mind numbing where all the gun myths and half truths come from and how they manage to not only perpetuate but even propagate.  

*uuuggghhh!!!*

I don't take it personally. I haven't studied it out myself: just physics making sense in that greater velocity creates greater friction creates flash melting depositing lead in the grooves and cone. I personally don't shoot lead, so it doesn't matter to me. :shrug: 

BigTruuck, what gun are you running them through?  I'm guessing a wheel gun.  You oughta pick up a H&R Handi rifle in .500 S&W too.  Ain't no H&R anymore but a used one is still common if you look.  That 700g beastie would be a badazz thumper in the brush from a little carbine rifle.  

But plain and simple truth is, you could shoot hundreds upon hundreds of them with no leading IF the bullet is properly fitted, proper alloy and with a decent lube.

I shoot a 230g cast bullet in my .358 winchester and it chronographs at 1880 fps.  It is boringly accurate.  I have not cleaned that rifle in nigh 2 years now.  The bore is as clean when I leave the range as it is when I arrive.  Why monkey with it?

Anyway, sorry for the highjack.  

1 minute ago, Caster said:

But plain and simple truth is, you could shoot hundreds upon hundreds of them with no leading IF the bullet is properly fitted, proper alloy and with a decent lube.

I shoot a 230g cast bullet in my .358 winchester and it chronographs at 1880 fps.  It is boringly accurate.  I have not cleaned that rifle in nigh 2 years now.  The bore is as clean when I leave the range as it is when I arrive.  Why monkey with it?

Anyway, sorry for the highjack.  

Could the difference be that you cast your own? I don't. I have used manufactured bullets before and had to scrape the lead off the forcing cone and cylinder face, and use a steel brush on the bore.

Did you slug the 6 throats first?  Then mic random samples of the purchased bullets to see what the manufacturer was sizing them to?  

OR, did you buy them and load them?  

I once bought 500 9mm bullets at a gunshow for REALLY cheap.  They were sealed in a box and I just loaded them with a starting charge and ran with it.  There was crap smeared down the barrel, looked like a elephant defecated in there. It was BAD.  They were sized .355  For a plated, PC'ed or jacketed bullet, that's fine.  Cast...uhh no.  

Edited by Caster
1 hour ago, Caster said:

Did you slug the 6 throats first?  Then mic random samples of the purchased bullets to see what the manufacturer was sizing them to?  

OR, did you buy them and load them?  

I once bought 500 9mm bullets at a gunshow for REALLY cheap.  They were sealed in a box and I just loaded them with a starting charge and ran with it.  There was crap smeared down the barrel, looked like a elephant defecated in there. It was BAD.  They were sized .355  For a plated, PC'ed or jacketed bullet, that's fine.  Cast...uhh no.  

Some were loaded already; some were loaded and shot. Moved to jacketed or plated and never looked back.

Edited by SWJewellTN
spelling
1 hour ago, Caster said:

BigTruuck, what gun are you running them through?  I'm guessing a wheel gun.  You oughta pick up a H&R Handi rifle in .500 S&W too.  Ain't no H&R anymore but a used one is still common if you look.  That 700g beastie would be a badazz thumper in the brush from a little carbine rifle.  

I am runnning them in my 4" but I'm gonna try them out in my handirifle. Probalbly gonna chronograph them over the 4th. As well. 

• Like 1