H&K VP9

Smith55

I own both. I love the VP9.  Head to head, I greatly prefer the HK.  Better ergonomics  (for me at least, ymmv).  I also shoot it more accurately.  However, I  already have a bunch of spare mags, holster, and spare parts for the Glock.  And all of the above are more expensive and harder to find for the HK.

My every day carry is a glock 19. If they came out with a 15 round VP9 that concealed like a 19, I would switch.  But the grip is just a tad too long to conceal well on me.

I was able to pick one up not long after they came out. It shot like a laser... however I started to feel like it was having a negative effect with the lem I carry every day. I should've kept it.

Edited by hlb14
my spelling stinks

I've got a VP9 and a G19 & G17.

The ergonomics of the HK can not be beat IMHO. But it shouldn't be compared to the 19.. because it's dimensions are almost exactly that of the 17. It's not what I would consider concealable.

The HK feels like shaking hands with an old friend, and in my hand is extremely accurate, I have about 1000 down the pipe and has been 100% reliable. Probably oneed of the best poly guns ever produced... with the one caveat that it only holds 15 rounds...

I should say though, by my bed is a loaded Gen 3 17. I have 2 G17s and I won't get rid of either one.

Edited by 1fast4by
  • Like 1
10 hours ago, XxthejuicexX said:

I just picked up a VP9 tonight. It feels great in your hands. I did not like the mag release but it has grown on me. 

The HK mag releases are different, but it shouldn't take long to adjust.  

1 hour ago, XxthejuicexX said:

I hope so. That was my only hesitation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You'll wonder why more guns don't do it before long.  After carrying a Walther P99, and now the VP9, I find standard mag releases cumbersome. 

12 hours ago, 1fast4by said:

The ergonomics of the HK can not be beat IMHO. But it shouldn't be compared to the 19.. because it's dimensions are almost exactly that of the 17. It's not what I would consider concealable.

I conceal my VP9 nearly everyday.  Maybe it's because I'm a bigger guy than average, but I have no issues with it.

There are similarities between the Walther PPQ and P99 vs. the VP9 style when it comes to the mag release.  They are both good, but H&K's is looser, and if you've seen that torture test video, weaker overall.  The Walther one is tighter, and closer in line with the trigger guard, and when I got new magazines for my P99, harder to work, but that may just be a break them in thing.

@XxthejuicexX when you're practicing with the mag release, try it with the middle finger of your firing hand, that works best for me.  Do it in a place where you can let the magazine drop without worrying (carpeted floor or couch/chair) and watch how fast you can get with your mag changes.

22 hours ago, hlb14 said:

I was able to pick one up not long after they came out. It shot like a laser... however I started to feel like it was having a negative effect with the lem I carry every day. I should've keep it.

That's the problem I had with the LEM in my USP compared to all my striker fire guns. I'd want to short stroke the HK because the reset was just a hair longer when I got to shooting faster.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, XxthejuicexX said:

BTQ I'm told I will love it once I get used to it.

The paddle has become very instinctive, I have a hard time using American mag releases now. My trigger finger works best for me, I don't have to adjust my grip at all to drop the mag. 

I have a G19 that is one of my primary carry guns.  I rented a VP9 at a range a couple of weeks ago.  Ergonomically, the VP feels great.  But I actually found that I prefer the Glock overall.  I think it's primarily the trigger for me - the reset on the VP9 was a tad too long.  I shoot the Glock better as well.

13 hours ago, mhl6493 said:

I have a G19 that is one of my primary carry guns.  I rented a VP9 at a range a couple of weeks ago.  Ergonomically, the VP feels great.  But I actually found that I prefer the Glock overall.  I think it's primarily the trigger for me - the reset on the VP9 was a tad too long.  I shoot the Glock better as well.

I wonder how many of us do this same thing; we find something that really fits us, and seems so right... yet we choose to carry something else. I'm guilty, for sure.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 7:59 AM, Steelharp said:

I wonder how many of us do this same thing; we find something that really fits us, and seems so right... yet we choose to carry something else. I'm guilty, for sure.

I concur. I love my PPQ M2. But it's just not a carry piece for me. But neither is the G19.

I seem to always walk out the door with my Shield. It just fits me better.

1 hour ago, hipower said:

I concur. I love my PPQ M2. But it's just not a carry piece for me. But neither is the G19.

I seem to always walk out the door with my Shield. It just fits me better.

Well... a certain PPQ will be getting carried soon... ;)

The paddle mag release is one of those things that I wish everybody did.   But like the HK P7, which is an excellent gun but just weird enough to demand a dedicated user, I don't really want the confusion of going back and forth, at least on guns I may want to carry.