So the new NFA 41F rule goes into effect July 13. A lot of people are trying to beat the deadline in order to avoid the fingerprints, photos, etc. I'm curious if those who are scrambling to get your NFA goodies filed before the change, will continue to file Form 1s or 4s in the furture, or are you done with NFA trust items after July 13? If I understand it correctly, everyone on the trust will have to photo, fingerprint and notify CLEO anyway the first time an application is made after July 13, right?

In other words, if a person plans to purchase more NFA items in the future, is there really any benefit to beating the 41F deadline?

In my eyes not too much has changed. It says all trustees must do a background but we can add and take away trustees any time we want. Remove all trustees but yourself when you submit and add the trustees back when you get your item approved. They cannot dictate who are trustees or when they became trustees.

It is still easier for your family to deal with items in a trust than dealing with items in your name. With a trust they just come and get the items. As an individual they must submit a Form 5 and go through the exact same background as you did. The time frame is still going to be long and because you have to do a background check either way why not make it easy on your heirs.

• Like 2

I was tempted to rush in an order with Silencer Shop, but having to pay for a vehicle of roughly equal cost has that option nixed.  I'm just going to wait a bit to see how the dust settles and go from there in the future.

6 hours ago, Dolomite_supafly said:

In my eyes not too much has changed. It says all trustees must do a background but we can add and take away trustees any time we want. Remove all trustees but yourself when you submit and add the trustees back when you get your item approved. They cannot dictate who are trustees or when they became trustees.

It is still easier for your family to deal with items in a trust than dealing with items in your name. With a trust they just come and get the items. As an individual they must submit a Form 5 and go through the exact same background as you did. The time frame is still going to be long and because you have to do a background check either way why not make it easy on your heirs.

That's an interesting thought.  So there is no requirement to have newly added trustees do that stuff after 7/13 as long as they are not on the trust when the application is filed? Seems like a major loophole, but I like it :)

1 hour ago, btq96r said:

I was tempted to rush in an order with Silencer Shop, but having to pay for a vehicle of roughly equal cost has that option nixed.  I'm just going to wait a bit to see how the dust settles and go from there in the future.

I understand that. A silencer is pretty low on my lists of needs right now but high on the list of wants. You never know... waiting might pay off if that Safe Hearing Act bill gets any traction.

5 hours ago, Wingshooter said:

That's an interesting thought.  So there is no requirement to have newly added trustees do that stuff after 7/13 as long as they are not on the trust when the application is filed? Seems like a major loophole, but I like it :)

I had thought about that when this mess all started, but then I thought there is no way they are going let something that easy slide. I hope it does and I guess we will see. I am thinking that you add someone to the trust they will have to be fingerprinted and photographed at that time, so it doesn't matter if you take them off or not. I wish there were a little more clarity on 41f

5 hours ago, Wingshooter said:

I understand that. A silencer is pretty low on my lists of needs right now but high on the list of wants. You never know... waiting might pay off if that Safe Hearing Act bill gets any traction.

It won't.  You will never hear from that bill again.  

Just my opinion.  

• Like 4
That's an interesting thought.  So there is no requirement to have newly added trustees do that stuff after 7/13 as long as they are not on the trust when the application is filed? Seems like a major loophole, but I like it [emoji4]

Can you confirm this as fact @Dolomie_supafly ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm done.  I have (well, I will have when my last two get approved) all the suppressors I need and two SBR'd lowers.  I will just swap new uppers onto one of my existing lowers when I want something else to play with.  

I'll keep buying suppressors regardless of the hoops I have to jump through.  They are a game changer.  My lawyer will just have to earn his money and redraft my trust as I see fit.  I'm glad I got a real lawyer to write my trust and not some BS online version with no support.