Bikers

I know we have several cats that ride on here.

I just jumped in head first and bought a Harley-Davidson 883 Iron this afternoon. I am kinda excited.

I will go next week to get my permit and start the process of teaching myself to ride. Taking an MSF course is at the top of the list, but I was told this afternoon that the local course is booked for the rest of the year. I will looks elsewhere but in the meantime, anyone have any tips and advice? I have a large abandoned parkinglot just outside of my subdivision. I am good with most low speed maneuvers, figure eights, etc. I just haven't been out on the road at speeds about 35mph. I get the whole counter steering thing and leaning with the bike.

Oh, and of course I bought the obligatory Harley-Davidson branded jacket and a t-shirt for everyone in the family. I didn't however get the branded socks.

• Like 2

I rarely post here, but felt like throwing in my 2 cents. Find a class and take the course. Its worth it. I've ridden for a long time, (42 years lol), and the biggest dangers in my opinion are texting/distracted drivers. Situational awareness! Enjoy the ride but keep your head on a swivel. I've had more close calls in the last five years than all the previous years combined and I chalk it up to cell phones. Congrats on the bike! I've got a sportster 1200s with a few mods.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Congrats! Harley's are a hate love relationship. More to come on that, but these days, you have to ride like everyone doesn't mind running you over or off the road. 

Mot attention to your surroundings. Cars, kids, other riders, deer and the ever popular dogs. Some dogs hate motorcycles like liberals hate freedom. They will startle you when they shoot out in to the street from a bush looking for your ankle. 

Take it slow, be on the defensive and take a course, read up and watch videos. Learn from others mistakes. 

Other than that, it is fun! Enjoy the breeze!

• Like 2

Ugly nailed it. I have been in a saddle for 37 years. People these days are out to run you over and never, ever stay behind anything being towed. In 08 coming back from my yearly Texas ride I had a semi trailer come loose with a earth mover on it almost take me out as I was about to pass it on I-59 in MS. Always keep your eyes and head engage with riding and watch everything and everybody. They really truly are out to kill you.

This is a tough time of year to try to get into a MSF class, but be patient and get in when you can. It's worth it. I got my first bike in 1981 and I just took the class in early May this year. I learned a LOT. In fact, I was surprised how much I didn't know from being self-taught.

In the meantime, ride like everyone is trying to kill you. On a motorcycle it doesn't matter who's at fault in the accident. The guy on the bike ALWAYS loses. And, get some protective gear! A jacket with CE rated armor in the shoulders and elbows, some leather gloves with knuckle/wrist/finger armor, and some leather boots will go a long way toward saving you a lot of pain if you lowside your new ride.

Edited by BigK
  • Like 1

+1 on the armor gear. It ain't always comfortable but kind of like carrying concealed. It's not much use if you aren't wearing it...

I spent a couple weeks changing my wife's bandages because it was too hot for the mesh jacket... she still regrets that day when she wears a short sleeve shirt.

The flip side is I've been run off the road twice in 25yrs and I was bruised but just bought a new jacket! Wear it!

• Like 2

As the others said, be careful.  the most dangerous thing on the roads are other people pulling out in front of you, not paying attention to you.

The other things is a saying "dress for the slide, not the ride".  Guy that wrecked near me when I went over the cliff didn't have sufficient gear, he ran into a ditch at 15mph, I slid over a 60 foot cliff.  I am alive, he is not.  Hope that can express how important proper safety gear is.

• Like 3

One time I heard someone say "Ride like everyone else is drunk, and you are invisible." Every time I get on the bike I think about that.

The one time I had a close call, it was because I wasn't paying attention. You have to be vigilant. Constantly scan the road and look at every car and ask yourself "what will I do if they do X,Y or Z, " Then move to the next car.

Find a buddy that rides, and do some long day trips with them. You'll pick up tips as you ride with someone else.

Most of all enjoy it.

• Like 1

I already have an armored leather jacket. The issue is that I have lost a lot of weight in the last month. I wasn't a big guy to begin with, So yesterday I bought a new one. It is a mesh Harley-Davidson branded jacket with light armor. I have a full face helmet, even though Kentucky doesn't have a helmet law, I will still wear one.

My heavy jacket is too big now, by a fair bit. The one I bought last night fits great. I don't think I have bought something in a medium size since I was about ten years old. So that was new. 

The big thing I run into is, is since we moved up here for work several years ago, with a company I don't work for anymore, we never really made friends. I have my acquaintances from DPSG that I talk to on occasion, and I have more acquaintances from Dauenhauer where I am now. I also have some acquaintances at Domino's where I deliver pizza once a month (and the half price employee discount makes it all worthwhile.) But I don't really have anyone out side of work.

I know how cliche it is, but I bought a Harley for two reasons. I wanted a Sportster Iron because it looks awesome, and I wanted to be part of a 'family.' The local dealership hosts events nearly every Saturday. I bought my bike during a cookout with a live band. There are several local riding clubs as well that get together on a weekly basis and use the local dealership as there starting place. In addition several of my coworkers at both current jobs ride. And most of them ride H-D. So I know there is a lot of hate toward the H-D 'branded lifestyle,' which is the biggest reason I bought the jacket with the name on it. I have a couple of friends on my other board I have been on for almost two decades now that absolutely hate H-D. But it is my bike. Not theirs. 

Edited by Murgatroy
  • Like 3

Harley's are unique and antiquated. I love to ride them but also have a foreign bike. I have found that around here in East Tennessee, nearly all bikers are decent and don't care what you ride. 

With that, bikes are like shoes, different bikes for different terrain.

You've got a nice bike but if it doesn't fit what you want out of it don't limit yourself. 

I'm a fan of multiple bikes! Except for the insurance and registration rates. 

Ride safe and perhaps we are due for a TGO ride. 

• Like 1

On a side note, you can get a basic course free of charge if you are a veteran or active military.  See H-D website.  Slow riding is much more of a "skill" than riding at speed, so you're well on your way.  Congratulations on the new bike.

• Like 1

Riding a motorcycle is little more than riding a very heavy bicycle you don't have to pedal.

I believe that subconsciously, people in cars see a smaller, lighter motorcycle and decide it's not a threat, and drive accordingly. You'll be amazed at just how many people will pull out in front of you, and even swerve into your lane while laughing.

I love riding a bike, but decided I'd end up dead or maimed at some point. Once I have my living made, I may take it up again, but while I still have a family to support, I think I'll abstain.

I am a modifier. I have a conglomeration of parts in the garage I call Chaos. She is a collaboration of about fifteen years worth of twenty different cars. The bike will live next to her.

Being it is a Harley-Davidson, the aftermarket is endless, that that is very appealing to me. I am a slow mover, so I have literally spent the last three years testing the waters and researching this purchase. I spent an equitable amount of time doing the same before my Mustang came to live with me. I already have a pretty solid idea of what I am going to do to the bike and where it will be when I am done. I bought the Denim Charcoal as everyone else gets the Denim Black. I can go matte black if I want to with a couple of cans of Plasti-Dip. And I will. It will match Chaos who is satin black. But I can go back to Denim Charcoal at will, which is the less common color in the common sea of Sporties.

My goal is Sunday rides in the country. I live in the country so this is going to be a short commute for me. I will become more intimate with the county in which I live.  Overall I am thrilled. My daughter is excited about it, she loves to turn wrenches with her father. My wife is not excited, but she has grudgingly admitted that as hard as I work to provide and sustain, this is a due reward. She still doesn't like it.