Which ones would you not trust?

For pistols you have owned or shot at least 100 rounds thru would you not trust for self defense?

For me only one that was not reliable enough to carry. A Taurus 1911 pistol, had so many different problems and not a cure for all problems. Finally traded it off with knowledge of the problems.

Don't want someone to get a problem pistol from me without knowing what I know about it.

Edited by DWARREN123

Hmmm, I never had a bad pistol except a .22 Jennings which only likes CCI or the like "hot" rounds, but I would never carry it.  All my others, while they may not be suited to my carry style, work as intended.

Walter P22, like nightrunner's experience, only hot  rounds would properly cycle.

Wife's training pistol, so not really pertinent .

I will typically run 200 round of sd ammo and an equivalent or more of fmj before I carry a new piece.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Gotthegoods said:

Walter P22, like nightrunner's experience, only hot  rounds would properly cycle.

I will typically run 200 round of sd ammo and an equivalent or more of fmj before I carry a new piece.

Yeah the early P-22's were not reliable. 

2 hours ago, Raoul said:

Yeah the early P-22's were not reliable. 

Well I guess I am the odd ball. MY Walther P22 has never been an issue and I have fired over 400 rounds. I only use CCI Mini-Mags 40gr. ammo and it seems to burn clean with no failures. The gun I finally sold, after 703 rounds was the Kimber Micro 380. I wanted to really like that gun but way too many failure to feed and/or fully return to battery problems. Even after Kimber techs replaced all of the springs and did some custom polishing to the feed ramp and barrel. I just couldn't trust it.

9 minutes ago, TNman207 said:

Well I guess I am the odd ball. MY Walther P22 has never been an issue and I have fired over 400 rounds. I only use CCI Mini-Mags 40gr. ammo and it seems to burn clean with no failures. The gun I finally sold, after 703 rounds was the Kimber Micro 380. I wanted to really like that gun but way too many failure to feed and/or fully return to battery problems. Even after Kimber techs replaced all of the springs and did some custom polishing to the feed ramp and barrel. I just couldn't trust it.

When did you buy your P22?

I had a Kahr CW45 that I really wanted to like. I never could get any of my reloads to be 100% reliable and just couldn't find a hollow point that was either. Besides, it kicked horribly. I would rather shoot my scandium j frame with magnums that the cw45 or even my Double tap derringer in 9mm.

Edited by Patton
4 hours ago, Gotthegoods said:

Don't get me wrong, it would cycle everything else, even some foreign bulk stuff is never heard of before and Remington Golden Bullet, which is bad. Stingers just stuck in the chamber. Somewhat common problem, not a big deal as stingers aren't that great for anything anyways.

1 hour ago, Raoul said:

When did you buy your P22?

No the poster that you were referring to, but I bought one about 3 months after they were released and my experience is similar.  It runs fine with Mini-Mags, but I have had a few issues with bulk ammo.  

• Like 1

Ruger SR22 I have seen many of them jam/fail. 

Any 1911 that is not a 5 inch, (at least with out testing it my self). If it is an off-brand 5 inch Id have to test it still.

Hi-points(all of them), Tarus (automatics), Remington R51

Edited by jmevis

The only pistol I've ever owned that was a complete lemon was a Taurus TCP .380.

Most UNDER-rated handgun I've ever owned was a Hi-Point C9. I couldn't make that thing fail ... or miss.

The only one I can think of is an old star model B. Can't get through more than a magazine without having a double feed/stovepipng issue due to the mags allowing not just the ammo, but the follower itself too much travel room front to rear. I was finally able to correctly diagnose the issue with Dolomites help, but haven't even attempted the fix yet. I'd like to get some more mags and mess with those but they are not common.

It's a cool gun, but essentially a roll of the dice past that first shot.

I had a Taurus PT-92 9mm I purchased back around 1990. The locking lug sheared off twice...Taurus replaced the barrel both times. I sold it and purchased a Beretta...which I should have purchased the first go around...Live & Learn.

Edited by prag

I purchased a Kimber Solo from a member on here. It was supposedly unfired(or almost new), but had already changed hands before I got it.   I couldn't see any indications of use other than the normal wear from slide action. 

First time i shot it, it didn't feed the second round. I put it up and decided the ammo I had was the issue. The next time I tried more rounds of different varieties. Same problem, but worse. It wouldn't feed anything more than once or twice. 

Called Kimber and quickly realized the slide stop had not engaged a tiny spring that needs to be caught upon installation. 

Now there doesn't seem to be an issue and it feeds anything I've put in it. I still wonder who and when the slide was installed incorrectly. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that both previous owners had the issue. I'm glad that I picked up a cheap Solo, but even more glad that I tested before carrying.  

• Like 2

H&R 940 .22LR revolver. Had the main spring and rod replaced. Worked fine for about 100 rounds, and now it's back to sometimes it fires....sometimes it doesn't.

Rohm RG-10.

Anything from Taurus. I've shot the PT-92 side by side with my Beretta and there's no comparison. For a couple hundred bucks difference, get the real thing. That goes for every Taurus, not just the PT-92. As a range gun, I have no problem with them, but I wouldn't bet my life on the bull.

• Like 2

About any Taurus semi auto.  709 failed for no good reason.  Light primer strikes, finally Taurus, to their credit, replaced it.  Sold it unfired.  Have seen several different models choke and such during carry classes.  Also a lot of Kimbers.  Not saying never use a Kimber, but make sure you ring it out first.  If a gun reliably works with a specific ammo, that does not black-list it for me, but can be a PIA.  Especially in rimfires.

The 1911 design is just fine, I have several that are great and as near 100% as anything else I have. The real issue with the 1911 these days is that companies like kimber have tried too hard to make them into something that were never intended to be.

Match accuracy guns for defense.

To me those two are mutually exclusive. If you want to spend $1500+ on a 1911 go ahead but don't expect 100% reliability and match accuracy from a factory gun. The small gain in accuracy costs too much in reliability for a defensive gun. Serial production doesn't allow for the hand work it takes to make one run and be that tight. Plenty of gunsmiths have made a good living doing that for those that will pay the cost...

I used to carry a commander and would still be using it daily if 9mm ammo hadn't improved so much. Now I choose a P320 in 9mm same size more capacity and I don't care if it gets a bit uglier from daily carry. I didn't change because of reliability. 

• Like 4