glock 19

hey everyone was wondering if maybe someone else will be able to understand what i am talking about and can give me some advice, so before i got my glock 19 i went to gander mountain and handled a few different pistols and settled on the glock 19 for the weight and how it felt in my hand etc, fast forward to earlier this year,

i buy one and take it to the range and shoot about 70 rounds through it and i dont really know how to explain it but shooting it, it didnt really feel as good in my hand, i dont know if it is because thats the only time i have taken it to the range and i am just not used to it yet or something, but it just didnt feel right, i did have a bit of trouble finding a comfortable grip

i am thinking of trading it in for a full size glock 17 and see if i like that better, but has anyone here ever had that and switched or did you get used to it after a while?

The 17 is the same dimension around as the 19. The only difference is the length. If you have a full 3 finger grip on the 19, the 17 won't be any "better."

The Glock angle does take some getting used to. I will tell you, for me, Glocks are adequate shooters. They don't group for me nearly as well as a CZ, or Ruger SR series pistol, or a 1911.... or anything, lol. But, at a practical defensive distance, it is certainly good enough. I wouldn't want to aim for the fences with them, though.

• Like 1

Not sure what you mean by not feeling good in your hand. I have fired my son's Glock 19 several times but I do not shoot it as well as my Sig P320. The G19 grip is narrower than the Sig and I think that is why I get better groupings with my Sig. For me, it's all about the girth of the grips.

You may or may not find that the Glock 17 feels better. The finger grooves do fit me better with the fullsize but it isn't an astronomical difference. Many people sand down their finger grooves or instal grip sleeves. Sometimes Talon grips or skateboard tape helps people.

Glock pistols are different because of the silly backstrap hump.  They feel different in the hand than pretty much anything else out there.

They're also a touch wider in grip circumference than they need to be because of GLOCK's steadfast insistence on plastic magazines.

8 minutes ago, dcloudy777 said:

Glock pistols are different because of the silly backstrap hump.  They feel different in the hand than pretty much anything else out there.

They're also a touch wider in grip circumference than they need to be because of GLOCK's steadfast insistence on plastic magazines.

The "hump" is why I nixed a Glock while looking at 9mm. I like my 23 but wanted a different manufacturer for my next compact. FN's FNS-9 fit the bill nicely and it's the same size as the G19.

There's a reason why some people call a Glock a Block because in a lot of ways that's exactly how it feels. The G-19 feels a lot better in hand and while shooting to me then the G-17 does. I'm pretty much in agreement with Steelharp on the grip angle making the Ruger SR9 work better for me as well. One of the things you have to understand about Glock pistols is if you've spent a lot of time behind the trigger of another type of pistol then you have to learn how to shoot the Glock In other words you've got to adapt to the pistol which means practice. I've seen new shooters take to a Glock like a duck to water and others struggle with it. Just keep shooting it, 70 rounds isn't enough to decide on anything, you should be thinking at least 500 or more. I recommend you sign up for a defensive pistol class and use the G-19 you've just purchased.

Try a grip force adapter. They are cheep and worth a try. With that said I carried a 1911 for many years. About 3 years ago I switched to a G19 as my EDC. It takes getting use to but is totally worth it. 1911's are all about '"feel" glocks are all about function nothing else. 

Edited by jmevis
Try a grip force adapter. They are cheep and worth a try. With that said I carried a 1911 for many years. About 3 years ago I switched to a G19 as my EDC. It takes getting use to but is totally worth it. 1911's are all about '"feel" glocks are all about function nothing else. 

After shooting my friends 1911 it's on my list

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go to a rental range and spend a few bucks on trying a variety of guns. Glock has a slightly shallower grip angle that works for some better than others.

If you are looking at striker guns. the Sig P320 is a good option because of its convertibility between compact & full size etc. I have 2 P320 compacts and like them a lot. My wife's has a small grip module on it and that made a big difference for her. The FN pistols have a good rep and the new Ruger has gotten some pretty good reviews.

There are so many options that if you are new to pistols the best option is a rental range where you get to shoot them not just hold them.

Good Luck!

So we are deciding between a Glock 19 and a 1911?

smilielol5.gif

Seriously, you just need experience shooting other guns. I wouldn’t walk across the street to get a Glock for free if I had to keep it. But obviously some people like them.

Maybe you can get a group in your area to shoot somewhere together. Then you could try different guns. I have several samples of different handguns if someone in the Murfreesboro area that has land wanted to do this.

Edited by DaveTN
  • Like 2
18 hours ago, DaveTN said:

So we are deciding between a Glock 19 and a 1911?

smilielol5.gif

maybe but first i got to start a thread in the ammo forum and debate with everyone here on which is better 9mm or 45acp cause we all know 45acp is sooooo much better /sarcasm :P

My one and only Glock was a 19. I liked the gun, I liked how it looked and the size, but I just could not shoot it well. I tried for over a year and was just not a consistent shot with the gun.

I'm not a Glock hater either. I actually just recently shot some long slide Glock a buddy of mine had and I was on the money with it. I just don't think the grip angle and sight radius combo on the 19 work for some folks.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Hozzie said:

I would also say hold a S&W M&P.   Don't try a CZ 75 or you won't try anything else.  It is heavy because it is metal, but there is no better "feeling" gun than a CZ for me.

What he said.

Back to the Glock thing... for me personally, other manufacturers do 9mm better. Glock was awesome in 1986, but since then, with modern innovations, I believe they have been surpassed. Now, in .45... I really do like a Glock. The 21 and the 36 just seem ideal .45 platforms to me. One for capacity, one for concealment.

On 7/6/2016 at 10:45 AM, luke9511 said:

hey everyone was wondering if maybe someone else will be able to understand what i am talking about and can give me some advice, so before i got my glock 19 i went to gander mountain and handled a few different pistols and settled on the glock 19 for the weight and how it felt in my hand etc, fast forward to earlier this year,

i buy one and take it to the range and shoot about 70 rounds through it and i dont really know how to explain it but shooting it, it didnt really feel as good in my hand, i dont know if it is because thats the only time i have taken it to the range and i am just not used to it yet or something, but it just didnt feel right, i did have a bit of trouble finding a comfortable grip

i am thinking of trading it in for a full size glock 17 and see if i like that better, but has anyone here ever had that and switched or did you get used to it after a while?

Can you put rounds on target with it? Do you have a gen 4 with the different grip thickness add ons? 

A g17 is a 1/2" longer on the barrel and grip end.  Like others have said it wont make a difference in your hand unless your having issues getting you pinkie comfortable on the grip. The longer sight radius of the g17 might increase your accuracy when shooting static at paper thats about it.

As above, my first handgun was a gen 3 17, I thought I shot it ok. Then I picked up a 1911, I was 2x as accurate and was in love(still am). Then gen 4 came out and I tried a buddy's. Complete change in dynamics. 

13 hours ago, MuscleHead said:

Can you put rounds on target with it? Do you have a gen 4 with the different grip thickness add ons? 

A g17 is a 1/2" longer on the barrel and grip end.  Like others have said it wont make a difference in your hand unless your having issues getting you pinkie comfortable on the grip. The longer sight radius of the g17 might increase your accuracy when shooting static at paper thats about it.

some times,i think its a combo of me not being a good shot (need to practice) and not getting a good grip

1 minute ago, luke9511 said:

some times,i think its a combo of me not being a good shot (need to practice) and not getting a good grip

I think its all in your head. Your a bad shot and want something to blame so your blaming your grip. I think you just need more practice or even take a beginner handgun course. Its possible your handling it totally wrong considering it sounds like your new to handguns.

When I first got my G19, I had a similar experience.  The grip angle was different, it felt weird, and I didn't shoot it very well.  But the more I shot it, the better it felt, and the better it grouped.  Mine is a Gen 4, and for people with somewhat smaller hands like me, the 4's without a backstrap make a difference.  It is one of my favorite carry guns now - though I'll always prefer a 1911 if given a choice.

I say all that to say, don't give up on it until you get a lot more trigger time on it first.  But, as others have mentioned, if you continue to shoot it for a while and it still doesn't feel right to you and shoot as accurately as you'd like, don't hesitate to move on from it and try out some others that fit you better.  There are so many good options out there.

On July 11, 2016 at 8:34 AM, luke9511 said:

Mine is a gen 3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe it's possible you handled a gen4 when you first looked at them in Gander but bought a gen3 and that's why it feels different to you????  :shrug:

Just a thought...

• Like 1