Philando Castille shooting

3 hours ago, Dolomite_supafly said:

I don't see how that looks like a "gangsta". I dress nearly identical everyday with t-shirt, shorts and shoes. And dare I say the vast majority of the members here have also dressed in a t-shirt, shorts and shoes. How he is acting proves he is a thug but how he was dressed just proves he can get dressed in the morning.

Just because someone sags their pants or dressed differently than you doesn't mean they are a thug, gangsta or miscreant. It is what is being worn by those they want to emulate or because everyone within their peer group is wearing the same. That is no different that any one of us wearing "tactical" clothing because it is what is in style within our group of peers or because someone we respect also wears the same.

Everyone would flip their lid if wearing a holstered gun was suddenly treated the same as wearing sagging pants. I mean there are places in this country where the wearing of sagging pants means you are going to get randomly patted down or searced by LE. Imagine if LE started doing the same to ANYONE with a holstered gun, we all would be shouting from the rooftops about how our rights are being violated but it is perfectly fine to limit someone else's right as long they look or dress differently. And make no mistake, being able to wear what you want is a first amendment issue.

The officer lied to dispatch when he said he thought they were involved in a robbery. The officer didn't even believe his own words and you can see this by how he nonchalantly walked up to the car. Perhaps this is the MO for that officer or the officers in that department, link a person to a suspected "violent" crime so that the actions of the officer are justified. If I were on the jury I would have NEVER voted to acquit him based solely on the fact he started the interaction with a lie.

Perhaps the OP was referring to the laying on of hands, instead of the manner of dress.

6 hours ago, bubbiesdad said:

Perhaps the OP was referring to the laying on of hands, instead of the manner of dress.

Yup, exactly that.  Punks come in all manner of dress, it's the actions that make them punks.

5 hours ago, bud said:

Sorry to stray off topic, but it has been said that the store owner screwed MB over in a personal business deal. Makes no difference if the deal was for Twinkies or marijuana. If the store owner and Michael had a business deal, mutually agreed upon by 2 consenting adults, and the store owner tried to screw him, then he deserved the rough treatment, because that's how things are handled between drug dealers. Physical violence is the only recourse available, and that's what all parties involved understand prior to entering into the transaction.

Of course, this story cant be 100% verified, but it does create reasonable doubt that MB was roughing the little guy up unjustly. It would also explain his MB's temperament, and the cop confronting him at the exact wrong time. If that store owner did help create this mess, may he rot in hell.

Sorry, but Michael Brown caused this by attacking the officer, no more no less.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, bud said:

I agree that Michael Brown's death was a consequence of his own actions.

All I was saying was that just because that picture you posted as evidence that MB was a thug, doesn't mean that he was a thug or that he was roughing the guy up unnecessarily, and that maybe the store clerk deserved it. 

Michael Brown charging the police would make him a thug. Which, according to one of the initial videos, he did.

Ok someone is going to have to explain this to me. Michael Brown attacks a police officer. After scuffle with the 2 over the officers gun the officer is found that he was justified in shooting Brown. Officer was never charged with any wrong doing by the officer yet they give the Brown family 1.5 million dollars in lawsuit. What part of this am I missing?.....................:confused:

41 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

Ok someone is going to have to explain this to me. Michael Brown attacks a police officer. After scuffle with the 2 over the officers gun the officer is found that he was justified in shooting Brown. Officer was never charged with any wrong doing by the officer yet they give the Brown family 1.5 million dollars in lawsuit. What part of this am I missing?.....................:confused:

Simple explanation. You have some layer 3 idiots in charge in a LOT of places these days. Some folks blame it on the left.

3 hours ago, bersaguy said:

Pretty sure it's bribe money to make it go away and possibly put a clamp on public statements.  You can see the words " The settlement amount was paid by the city's insurance company" so it's within the acceptable range of loss for the city (though this insurer should be re-looking at Ferguson's policing tactics hard).  Also, the parents would have probably had to sign something to the effect that they aren't holding the city in blame for to take the money, and even possibly a clause that prevents them from speaking publicly on the issues the lawsuit settlement puts to rest.  I'd tie the funds to a payment plan to ensure that one, however.

This one is kind of small for the events that transpired.  You should see some of the payments the Chicago comptroller has to cut checks for.

On 6/23/2017 at 10:27 PM, Chucktshoes said:

I did. I brought up rights. The post of yours that I quoted, quoted a post of mine. That post and the link contained therein were almost entirely centered around the subject of 2A rights and whether or not we as a nation really believe they apply to everyone, and specifically black folks. I made the assumption you were addressing the contents of that post when you quoted it. 

As as far as your explanation of style origination, I've heard at least a dozen different explanations for the genesis of that particular portion of urban styling (which is actually fading in popularity pretty quickly). All are irrelevant as it doesn't really matter where it originated, what is pertinent is that it is/was a widely popular style throughout the population. The position you are putting forth is that anyone who dresses in the popular styles of black youth culture is assumed to be of a criminal element. You are actually making the exact case that I am here, and those who are at the forefront of the BLM movement are attempting to make to society at large. Black folks, and black men especially, are viewed as inherently dangerous and criminal by white society. Because of that fact, they are killed at a disproportionate rate by law enforcement. That fact cannot be allowed to stand. It must be changed. Thank you for your assistance, even if it was inadvertent as I suspect it was. 

Perhaps you missed the point where I stated that I hold WHITE people to the same standards?

Dress like a thug and be treated like a thug.

On 6/24/2017 at 7:46 AM, Dolomite_supafly said:

I don't see how that looks like a "gangsta". I dress nearly identical everyday with t-shirt, shorts and shoes. And dare I say the vast majority of the members here have also dressed in a t-shirt, shorts and shoes. How he is acting proves he is a thug but how he was dressed just proves he can get dressed in the morning.

Just because someone sags their pants or dressed differently than you doesn't mean they are a thug, gangsta or miscreant. It is what is being worn by those they want to emulate or because everyone within their peer group is wearing the same. That is no different that any one of us wearing "tactical" clothing because it is what is in style within our group of peers or because someone we respect also wears the same.

Everyone would flip their lid if wearing a holstered gun was suddenly treated the same as wearing sagging pants. I mean there are places in this country where the wearing of sagging pants means you are going to get randomly patted down or searced by LE. Imagine if LE started doing the same to ANYONE with a holstered gun, we all would be shouting from the rooftops about how our rights are being violated but it is perfectly fine to limit someone else's right as long they look or dress differently. And make no mistake, being able to wear what you want is a first amendment issue.

The officer lied to dispatch when he said he thought they were involved in a robbery. The officer didn't even believe his own words and you can see this by how he nonchalantly walked up to the car. Perhaps this is the MO for that officer or the officers in that department, link a person to a suspected "violent" crime so that the actions of the officer are justified. If I were on the jury I would have NEVER voted to acquit him based solely on the fact he started the interaction with a lie.

Horse :poop: !

Well I was taught all the time I was growing up that is was not the appearence that makes the person but their actions so that is how I have always based my opinions on anyone. I grew up in far west Chicago as a kid and went to school with about every race on earth and when recess came we all played baseball, basket ball or foot ball. It was never decided who played by race. We all played ball. Before we played ball together we shot marbles together when younger and again it was never based on race. Many times I would share marbles with kids of other races that were less fortunate than I was just so they could join in. Some kids wore nice clothes and some kids wore what they had. I remember many times my mother would pick out some clothes none of us could wear any longer do to growth and she would pass them down to another family that she knew needed them and again she didn't pick a race but a family. That is the way I was raised and even moving south I did not change my views on my up bringing even though I learned quickly that things were much different n the South. My mother was raised in the South but she never did follow southern traditions when raising us 5 boys up north and she married my father which was from Michigan.

I still to this day do not judge a person by their style of dress, race, Sexual preference, or anything else that many do these days but their actions tell me everything I need to know about a person. I am to damn old to change my ways now so I just take everything with a grain of salt and face value today and just try to make each day a good one....................JMHO   

Edited by bersaguy
spelling errors

I grew up in an area that was not very diverse but I still found out that that bad and good comes in all forms. 

My fashion choices used to cause people to look at me strange and they were usually floored to find out that I was not some thug with a record. Instead I was a hard working student paying my own way through college. I have been followed around in stores, stopped on the street, pulled over, and generally harassed because I chose to dress how I wanted. I guess I got lucky that all those guards and officers were cool headed. I was never anything but polite and generally ended the encounter with a handshake and a "Have a good day".

As an officer, these guys and gals must stay alert, but remember that aside from blatant criminal activity, the person they are interacting with is a citizen that they swore to protect. It should never be a "Us and Them" or race versus race issue. One day that officer might just need an armed citizen's help when things go to H3ll. I am sure then they will not care what race that person is or how they dress.

2 hours ago, SWJewellTN said:

Horse :poop: !

Which part and why?

2 hours ago, SWJewellTN said:

I think there are more than a few hypocrites here - those who profess situational awareness yet don't base it on how someone dresses. Yeah, right!

I can promise you that how someone dresses does not affect how I interact with someone. Matter of fact the color of their skin as well as what might be tattooed on their skin doesn't even factor in to how I view people, it did at one point but not since becoming a mature adult. The reason I say mature is because just because someone is old enough to vote or drink doesn't mean they are mature. I will say that the people who have consistently offered to help me have been those that most of us would avoid. I have no problem sitting down and having lunch with a complete stranger who has a different skin color or dresses differently, I do it regularly. Anytime I stop in a fast food restaurant I look for someone who is sitting alone to sit, eat and talk with. Am I aware of my surroundings? You bet, but what someone is DOING is more of a concern than what they are wearing. I can promise you that you have stood next to some hard core criminals plenty of times and you never had a clue because not all bad guys dress, or even look, like thugs. Most criminals any one of us will encounter will dress, look and act like us because those that commit crimes against us generally come from within our peer group. Which for me (and most others here) is a white, middle aged men who looks, dresses and acts like me. And so far that has proven to be 100% true. Every single person who has EVER screwed me over has been someone who looks and dresses like me.

I would like to hear everyone else chime in with how the last person who ripped them off was dressed. I am even willing to put my money where my mouth is if anyone wants to bet. I will wager that the majority of us who have been robbed or ripped off have been by those within their peer group who dress and look similar to what we see in the mirror every morning.

BTW, when was the last time someone dressed like a "gang'sta", white or black, did anything negative to you?

21 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

Well I was taught all the time I was growing up that is was not the appearence that makes the person but their actions so that is how I have always based my opinions on anyone. I grew up in far west Chicago as a kid and went to school with about every race on earth and when recess came we all played baseball, basket ball or foot ball. It was never decided who played by race. We all played ball. Before we played ball together we shot marbles together when younger and again it was never based on race. Many times I would share marbles with kids of other races that were less fortunate than I was just so they could join in. Some kids wore nice clothes and some kids wore what they had. I remember many times my mother would pick out some clothes none of us could wear any longer do to growth and she would pass them down to another family that she knew needed them and again she didn't pick a race but a family. That is the way I was raised and even moving south I did not change my views on my up bringing even though I learned quickly that things were much different n the South. My mother was raised in the South but she never did follow southern traditions when raising us 5 boys up north and she married my father which was from Michigan.

I still to this day do not judge a person by their style of dress, race, Sexual preference, or anything else that many do these days but their actions tell me everything I need to know about a person. I am to damn old to change my ways now so I just take everything with a grain of salt and face value today and just try to make each day a good one....................JMHO   

I grew up with one of the most racist people I have ever met, my father. So when I was growing up I heard the usual racist BS. My father made a career in the military and he continued to have the same racist views throughout his career. Even when he was in charge of large groups of men he would say stuff like "Private" Smith when referring to white soldiers and "N****r" Jones when referring to black soldiers. When I was growing up, in the 70's, we had one black person in my school. She would be ridiculed relentlessly by other students while teachers would do nothing or just laugh saying kids will be kids. When I decided to interact with her I was given the same treatment, being called a "N" lover before being beat up by those who acted like my friends 5 minutes earlier. Worst part is when I got home I told my father what had happened and my father beat me for "talking to a N****r". I was told that I would be beat every time he found out I talked to a black person, and he did. I have been at friends houses when their parents, along with the neighborhood, would stand on their porches with shotguns and scream "Go home N****r" to a black man walking down their street. And that was not too uncommon back then in the area of East Tennessee I grew up in. So I know all too well what racists say and how they act and there are a lot of similarities between what is being said in this thread and what I heard growing up.

Ever since joining the military I have realized it is better to judge a man on the content of his character. When we start making preconceived judgments we start compiling evidence to support it, even if it isn't entirely true. It is human nature to come to a conclusion first then find the "facts" to support that conclusion instead of letting the facts determine the conclusion.

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, Dolomite_supafly said:

Which part and why?

I can promise you that how someone dresses does not affect how I interact with someone. Matter of fact the color of their skin as well as what might be tattooed on their skin doesn't even factor in to how I view people, it did at one point but not since becoming a mature adult. The reason I say mature is because just because someone is old enough to vote or drink doesn't mean they are mature. I will say that the people who have consistently offered to help me have been those that most of us would avoid. I have no problem sitting down and having lunch with a complete stranger who has a different skin color or dresses differently, I do it regularly. Anytime I stop in a fast food restaurant I look for someone who is sitting alone to sit, eat and talk with. Am I aware of my surroundings? You bet, but what someone is DOING is more of a concern than what they are wearing. I can promise you that you have stood next to some hard core criminals plenty of times and you never had a clue because not all bad guys dress, or even look, like thugs. Most criminals any one of us will encounter will dress, look and act like us because those that commit crimes against us generally come from within our peer group. Which for me (and most others here) is a white, middle aged men who looks, dresses and acts like me. And so far that has proven to be 100% true. Every single person who has EVER screwed me over has been someone who looks and dresses like me.

I would like to hear everyone else chime in with how the last person who ripped them off was dressed. I am even willing to put my money where my mouth is if anyone wants to bet. I will wager that the majority of us who have been robbed or ripped off have been by those within their peer group who dress and look similar to what we see in the mirror every morning.

BTW, when was the last time someone dressed like a "gang'sta", white or black, did anything negative to you?

I grew up with one of the most racist people I have ever met, my father. So when I was growing up I heard the usual racist BS. My father made a career in the military and he continued to have the same racist views throughout his career. Even when he was in charge of large groups of men he would say stuff like "Private" Smith when referring to white soldiers and "N****r" Jones when referring to black soldiers. When I was growing up, in the 70's, we had one black person in my school. She would be ridiculed relentlessly by other students while teachers would do nothing or just laugh saying kids will be kids. When I decided to interact with her I was given the same treatment, being called a "N" lover before being beat up by those who acted like my friends 5 minutes earlier. Worst part is when I got home I told my father what had happened and my father beat me for "talking to a N****r". I was told that I would be beat every time he found out I talked to a black person, and he did. I have been at friends houses when their parents, along with the neighborhood, would stand on their porches with shotguns and scream "Go home N****r" to a black man walking down their street. And that was not too uncommon back then in the area of East Tennessee I grew up in. So I know all too well what racists say and how they act and there are a lot of similarities between what is being said in this thread and what I heard growing up.

Ever since joining the military I have realized it is better to judge a man on the content of his character. When we start making preconceived judgments we start compiling evidence to support it, even if it isn't entirely true. It is human nature to come to a conclusion first then find the "facts" to support that conclusion instead of letting the facts determine the conclusion.

I did like this but not for how you were treated while growing up being willing to speak out about it now. I also served with African American men and many times they made me proud to be their friends. I don't have a lot of black friends today but the few I do have are welcome at my home anytime they stop by with or without their family and we have grilled out a few times,  I at their house or them at mine. I know there will be a few people here that don't agree with my views but that is their business and mine is mine and I hope it can stay that way...............JMHO 

26 minutes ago, Dolomite_supafly said:

Which part and why?

I'll give you an example:

A few years back my wife and I were coming back from Ashville, NC when I pulled into a gas station on the Cumberland Plateau because I was about to fumes. I pulled in and immediately noticed a bunch of WHITE bikers at the pump ahead of me. No big deal until one of them turned their back to me exposing their "Hell's Angels" patch. I went on full alert and told my wife - who had to pee badly - to stay in the car and I'd stop at the next exit once I got some fuel to get us there.

But I suppose you and others on here wouldn't judge these fellows as criminals/thugs based on their clothing, huh? You'd wait to see the content of their hearts?

• Authorized Vendor
3 hours ago, Dolomite_supafly said:

Which part and why?

Well since you asked......about 10 years ago or so while I was at work the missus hears some noises coming from the back porch about 8AM. She grabs her 9mm and cautiously eases her way to the back of the house to get a better view. Though the french doors she sees this black dude complete with baggy pants and a hoodie rummaging around the porch carrying a knife. Well never bring a knife to a gunfight. The wife is retired military and an ex cop so after she's sure this dipstick is alone she eases back to the door and pulls the sheers back a bit and taps on the glass . This egghead turns around...sees the gun and his eyes get as big as saucers. To add insult to injury he does a 180 and center punches one of the 6x6 porch posts with his noggin and knocked his idiot self out cold. The wife calls 911 and the rest is history.

I've never had any problems with anyone that even remotely fits the bill to the ugly mug I see in the mirror. Only Blacks (twice) and Mexicans once in Arizona that broke into my car so I'm not sure what point you were trying to make.

Well, I can't say that the one time someone tried to rip me off was wearing anything except kinda normal clothes. It was summer time and about 2 AM when all hell broke loose in my carport. This is back when Kasey was still a young dog and very aggressive around strangers and had to be on a run cable when out doors. She was out side the night that two illegal immigrants decided to help them selves to some of my high end rods and reels off the deck of my bass boat. There was 2 of them and Kasey didn't bark but just reacted by grabbing one of them in the calf of his leg removing a chunk of his leg and when he tried to hit her she got hold of his hand and about took off 3 fingers and he jumped up in my boat to get away from her and as I was clearing the door heading that way his buddy broke and ran as Kasey turned and tried to get him before her cable stopped her. This guy in my boat was screaming at her in spanish and I yell to shut up because she does not know spanish.

I had the police on the phone and was trying to explain what was going on and  he was screaming and kasey was barking and I tried to tell her he needed an ambulance and finally she told me it would be about 20 minutes before she could have a car to the scene. I told her fine, I will just shoot this SOB a few times and when ya'll get here he will be laying in my boat and I will leave the carport lights on for them and she said NO NO don't do that and I said I better hear sirens really quick and it was about 1 minute and I heard several coming. when they arrived they began tending to his dog bites and I noticed Kasey still had her cable stretched to the max looking down towards the neighbors back yard at an out building.

I told the police that he had a partner that took off when I came out. They said they would get a K-9 to come and see if they could find him. I told the officer that if he wanted the bad guy I can get him to come in and he said how and I said watch and I unhooked Kasey and she broke into a dead run. About 10 seconds later there was a bunch of screaming in the dark and the guy came running out of the dark as fast as he could right into the arms of the police and I grabbed Kasey and put her in the house.

The officer said they needed her on the K-9 squad.  I found out later that they worked for a lawn care service that cut the lawn of the house next door and they kept seeing all those rods and reels on the boat when they would cut the back yard next door.  Come to find out the lawn service only had illegal imigrants employed and they arrested the company owner and all of his employees and confiscated all of his lawn care business equipment and trucks. As the last LEO was getting ready to leave he said would you really have shot him and I smiled and said glad we didn't have to find out huh??? Now with that said, they were dressed in cut off blue jeans and tank top shirts and jogging shoes. Nothing abnormal that most people wears in summer. 

I will say I forgot about one attempted robbery by someone who was a minority but the rest have been people who look and dress similarly to me.

Just trying to say we should not judge someone by how they dress or the color of their skin because not everyone who is different is a bad person. We have plenty in our community that do not confirm to what our community has deemed "normal". When we start alienating everyone who is different we will end up alone because we are all a little different.

Anyone who has never seen Murgatroy would probably cross the street to avoid him but you will not meet a nicer person. He has been to my house and is always welcome. Spots is a towering guy, with the eyes of a lunatic, covered in tattoos, rides a bike and is in motorcycle club but he would give you the shirt off his back if you needed it. I can promise you that both of them are some of the best people you will ever meet but if you start off judging them you will never get the chance to find out. 

• Like 2

I've had the occasional run in with sketchy white, brown, and black guys over the years, and not a one of them looked or dressed anything like me or any of the people I associate with. I honestly stereotyped each by their dress and their swagger and the overall ways they presented themselves and ended up being correct in my assumptions. On the flip side of that, I have also had numerous occasions (pretty much daily) where I have stereotyped individuals and kept a more watchful eye on them and nothing has come of it. I really don't see any harm in that as I am not imposing on the person or affecting them in any way. If I'm right I'm ahead of he game tactically, if I'm wrong then nothing lost for anyone.

For an additional perspective on this, I pretty much equally distrust a white guy in an executive suit and a black guy with his pants sagging around his knees. While I might consider myself more likely to be shot by one, I will presume (based on my life experiences) that I'll probably get more screwed over by the other in the long run.

8 hours ago, Danger Rane said:

I've had the occasional run in with sketchy white, brown, and black guys over the years, and not a one of them looked or dressed anything like me or any of the people I associate with. I honestly stereotyped each by their dress and their swagger and the overall ways they presented themselves and ended up being correct in my assumptions. On the flip side of that, I have also had numerous occasions (pretty much daily) where I have stereotyped individuals and kept a more watchful eye on them and nothing has come of it. I really don't see any harm in that as I am not imposing on the person or affecting them in any way. If I'm right I'm ahead of he game tactically, if I'm wrong then nothing lost for anyone.

For an additional perspective on this, I pretty much equally distrust a white guy in an executive suit and a black guy with his pants sagging around his knees. While I might consider myself more likely to be shot by one, I will presume (based on my life experiences) that I'll probably get more screwed over by the other in the long run.

Exactly my point. To put a biblical point on it: "Prove all things; hold fast that which is good."

I view every stranger with suspicion, but more so on their visual statement that they present to the world. I'm a towering guy with tattoos and used to ride motorcycles like Spots as Dolomite Supafly mentions above, and if someone is intimidated or judges me for it then I couldn't care less.

11 hours ago, Dolomite_supafly said:

I will say I forgot about one attempted robbery by someone who was a minority but the rest have been people who look and dress similarly to me.

Just trying to say we should not judge someone by how they dress or the color of their skin because not everyone who is different is a bad person. We have plenty in our community that do not confirm to what our community has deemed "normal". When we start alienating everyone who is different we will end up alone because we are all a little different.

Anyone who has never seen Murgatroy would probably cross the street to avoid him but you will not meet a nicer person. He has been to my house and is always welcome. Spots is a towering guy, with the eyes of a lunatic, covered in tattoos, rides a bike and is in motorcycle club but he would give you the shirt off his back if you needed it. I can promise you that both of them are some of the best people you will ever meet but if you start off judging them you will never get the chance to find out. 

You didn't answer my questions.

On 6/26/2017 at 2:13 PM, SWJewellTN said:

But I suppose you and others on here wouldn't judge these fellows as criminals/thugs based on their clothing, huh? You'd wait to see the content of their hearts?

I assume these are the questions you are asking about. 

I will not speak for anyone else but I can promise you if I seen a group of bikers sitting at the pumps I would not give them any more scrutiny or act any differently than I would any other group and I sure wouldn't tell my wife to wait because my wife is more of a threat to my life than some bikers if I told her she had to hold it. 

Now if they, or any other group, were acting like they might be trouble then I might move on but I will not go somewhere else just because of someone's dress.

I would not see the contents of their hearts because we won't get into long philosophical discussions standing at the pumps but I would have zero problem nodding or even talking to them. You can get a better idea of someone's demeanor by engaging them than by staring at them from afar.

• Like 1