Suppressor Build Question

Hi guys. I have already filed the form 1 for a suppressor build and I'm looking for some input, if anyone has experience, on what diameter I could go with on the titanium tube.

My uncles first one he had made is a 1.5" diameter by 9" long can. Here recently, he says that he is more interested in a 1.625" diameter can because apparently it has a deeper tone to it and seems to quiet down 7.62 better than the 1.5".

My question is: since I am only using this can on a 5.56 ar, could I get away with a much shorter can than 9" by using the 1.625" diameter can? I want it to be hearing safe but at the same time I want it as short as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The honest answer, .223 isn't ever really hearing safe. Assuming AR platform, the bolt noise(just release, not firing)alone is above noise levels suggested. Also, the gas bleed off from the bolt is loud. 

A 9" can isn't necessary. You could easily do 7-8" 1.5" can and get great results. The 1.625" option is nice, I have 2 that use this size, 7" and one 8.5".  

• Like 1
The honest answer, .223 isn't ever really hearing safe. Assuming AR platform, the bolt noise(just release, not firing)alone is above noise levels suggested. Also, the gas bleed off from the bolt is loud. 

A 9" can isn't necessary. You could easily do 7-8" 1.5" can and get great results. The 1.625" option is nice, I have 2 that use this size, 7" and one 8.5".  

Thanks for the input! And I do realize the other noises produced do create issues, but I just want to make sure that I go as short as I can get away with and get the most muffling of the blast as I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look at the production cans. I don't know what kind of baffle design is used but the military issue Surfire SOCOM 556 suppressor is around 6" and 1.5 diameter. They have a version even shorter than that. I think 6-7" on a 556 should be sufficient with a 1.5" can.

• Like 1