Pandora (music app)

Sam1

What's great about Spotify is that you can create your own playlists and you can download them so you don't have to have Internet access to listen and use data while in the car. I pay something like $10/month for premium access, but I think it is worth it.

Spotify is much better anyway. I've got the premium account ($10/month). You can create unlimited playlists and save songs to your device for when you can't stream them. And also you can choose a any album to listen to just as you would off the CD. I listen to a lot of stand up comedy.

Ahem. If I may interject a little music biz perspective? All of these services are basically criminal. They pay zilch to the creators of the content you are listening to. Where a standard BMI/ASCAP agreement would have them pay, say, $2,000,000 to be distributed to songwriters, these services pay about $20,000. They are ripping off friends of mine, and making it extremely difficult to continue to make the content you are enjoying.

One particular songwriter I know had his checks fall from $100,000 + annually to $46.00. Yes, you read that correctly; $46.00. Do you want him and others like him to continue to make the music you want to hear? Then pay them, and give them the freedom to write and use their creativity. They can't do it very well when they're having to do a normal 9-5 to try to pay their bills.

Don't use these services, don't file share, and don't use Google, they are in full support of music piracy.

Rant done.

• Like 4

Seems to me if this is the case, then the labels shouldn't allow them to use their music. They have a choice I am guessing. I am sure it is complex, but I don't feel like I am stealing anything. This is now the way of the world. The labels will need to adapt like everyone else.

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, Steelharp said:

Ahem. If I may interject a little music biz perspective? All of these services are basically criminal. They pay zilch to the creators of the content you are listening to. Where a standard BMI/ASCAP agreement would have them pay, say, $2,000,000 to be distributed to songwriters, these services pay about $20,000. They are ripping off friends of mine, and making it extremely difficult to continue to make the content you are enjoying.

One particular songwriter I know had his checks fall from $100,000 + annually to $46.00. Yes, you read that correctly; $46.00. Do you want him and others like him to continue to make the music you want to hear? Then pay them, and give them the freedom to write and use their creativity. They can't do it very well when they're having to do a normal 9-5 to try to pay their bills.

Don't use these services, don't file share, and don't use Google, they are in full support of music piracy.

Rant done.

I knew this would come along at some point...

3 hours ago, Steelharp said:

Rant done.

I'm confused. Did your friends not sign contracts?

$2,000,000 is crazy; its a song. And if they get that once can't they afford to hire a good attorney/manager?

That was just a collective figure I pulled out of the air to represent that which is distributed to ALL the songwriters. The actual figure would be much higher because of all the people that are "songwriters." Most songwriters make less than 10K; not many songs sell in the huge numbers that produce million dollar incomes. My buddy is one that falls in the 6 figure bunch.

The licensing agreements that are signed and ignored by services such as Pandora are, well, useless. They agree to pay a figure, but they never do. How they get away with it, I don't know.

10 hours ago, Hershmeister said:

Why do companies feel the need to get involved in politics! Guaranteed to piss off customers

I don't understand it, but I do appreciate it, when companies, actors and 'artists' choose to come out of the closet and cut their income in half.  

If Kmart had told me up-front that they would eventually piss me off so bad that I'd refuse to shop there, it would have saved me a lot of grief.

I never liked Matt Damon anyway.

12 hours ago, Steelharp said:

That was just a collective figure I pulled out of the air to represent that which is distributed to ALL the songwriters. The actual figure would be much higher because of all the people that are "songwriters." Most songwriters make less than 10K; not many songs sell in the huge numbers that produce million dollar incomes. My buddy is one that falls in the 6 figure bunch.

The licensing agreements that are signed and ignored by services such as Pandora are, well, useless. They agree to pay a figure, but they never do. How they get away with it, I don't know.

That's interesting. I'd always assumed Pandora and similar services were under the same "pay per spin" type agreements as traditional radio stations.  What about satellite radio (XM)?