traveling to Chicago

18 minutes ago, chances R said:

The carry law in Illinois is essentially the same, for Tennesseeans, as our permitless vehicle carry.  Handguns only.

And not permitless. ;)

And in Cook county that handgun can't be an "assault weapon", like AR and AK handguns.  Mag limit there too?

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

I stay in St. Joe MI and take the South Shore train in when I have to go to Chicago.  I have been known to leave some stuff there (LOL), but I don't spend one penny in that cesspool.  It only encourages and feeds the stupid.

11 hours ago, Volphin said:

I stay in St. Joe MI and take the South Shore train in when I have to go to Chicago.  I have been known to leave some stuff there (LOL), but I don't spend one penny in that cesspool.  It only encourages and feeds the stupid.

That's like going to Knoxville but staying in Chattanooga. I agree St. Joe is much safer then Chicago, as long as you stay out of the courthouse.:shhh: Hell, what city isn't safer then the south side of Chicago?

Edited by crossfire

He didn't say South Side, he said south shore train unless you were just pointing out the worst area.  I would bet that staying in downtown Chicago (loop/River North) is no more dangerous than staying in Downtown Nashville.  How many here would stay in Bordeaux.  Just sayin.

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, Hozzie said:

He didn't say South Side, he said south shore train unless you were just pointing out the worst area.  I would bet that staying in downtown Chicago (loop/River North) is no more dangerous than staying in Downtown Nashville.  How many here would stay in Bordeaux.  Just sayin.

The Loop is pretty much surrounded by the "south side" now a days. There are still some great places to eat and see but you better know where your going and how to get there. It's much worse now then when I was growing up there 50 years ago or even 20 years ago when I moved out of Illinois.

I don't like big cities, but I don't mind going to Chicago.  I am usually up there a few times a year for work, and always have a good time.  I alway stay in the Loop, or just outside.  I am a bit of an architecture nut, and no place I have been compares.  I haven't spent any time outside of the downtown, Loop, Navy Pier, Michigan Ave areas.  

For me, it is an easy trip.  Direct 45 minute flight from Nashville to Midway, hop on the train downtown, and you can walk almost anywhere you want to go.  

I keep saying that I want to do the Frank Lloyd Wright Oak Park tour, but haven't done it yet.  However, the Art Institute has a great collection of his glass and furniture works.  

5 hours ago, quietguy said:

II keep saying that I want to do the Frank Lloyd Wright Oak Park tour, but haven't done it yet.  However, the Art Institute has a great collection of his glass and furniture works.  

I'd recommend it. While I haven't done the Oak Park tour, I've been to a few of his houses, and they are simply inspiring.

- K

5 hours ago, ReeferMac said:

I'd recommend it. While I haven't done the Oak Park tour, I've been to a few of his houses, and they are simply inspiring.

- K

I have been to Falling Water, and the one outside of Huntsville.  Falling Water is amazing.  

We moved back from IL a few years ago.  We used to drive up and spend the day in Chicago a many of weekends.   Oh how do we miss that.   As everyone else says.  Stay inside of the loop and you will be fine.   Enjoy the city while you are there.  If you do get a chance check out the museum of science and industry!  

It is just like Memphis....you are safe  in Memphis as long as you stay out of certain areas!  I know a lot of people here will never believe that!

34 minutes ago, ou812 said:

We moved back from IL a few years ago.  We used to drive up and spend the day in Chicago a many of weekends.   Oh how do we miss that.   As everyone else says.  Stay inside of the loop and you will be fine.   Enjoy the city while you are there.  If you do get a chance check out the museum of science and industry!  

It is just like Memphis....you are safe  in Memphis as long as you stay out of certain areas!  I know a lot of people here will never believe that!

I know at least one who doesn't believe it.

I drove up about 20 times last year, and lived there for ~ 6 mo during the time. Carry plenty of change for the ****ing toll-booths.  And - figure out the I-Pass website because even if you don't blow one... they will invariably have the booth closed.  Just grab one of the paper info-slips that has the booth # (next to the "change catcher").

Carry a pistol safe / lock-box in order to move the (unloaded) gun from the car to the hotel.

For the record...there is no decent way to travel by car from TN to Chicago.  Every single route sucks, and they vary by the day in suckability.  First time in, I would suggest I-65 to I-80, then slip in behind a big truck and stay there.  Least traffic - 3am - 4am.   If you can use I-355, it is worth the $.

For the record, I cannot remember losing a thing in IL that I need to go retrieve.