New Rules and Efiling a Form 1

So my buddy waited until the very last hour yesterday to efile his form 1 with his trust. Imagine that, the site was down. Through his phone call full of angst and poorly connected swear words it got me wondering:

What's the deal with Efiling now? Do we have to pdf our prints or can we just do a digital copy once and upload them every time? And if so who does digital fingerprints you can put on a jump drive? And is that the same with the picture?

I'm sure one of you has already cracked the code so I am all ears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My understanding is, all form 1's and form 4's require paper filing.

That said, the background check is valid for 12 month, and you don't need to submit prints/pics within 12 months of your last filing with the paper form. That begs the question, if I paper-file a form 1 in April, with prints and pics, can I e-file a form 1 in August? I don't think that question has been addressed yet. I'm sure the ATF has their hands full with the current changes are the moment, but I hope they will adjust procedures and their e-filing system to improve filing efficiency again.

5 hours ago, Obiwan said:

My understanding is, all form 1's and form 4's require paper filing.

That said, the background check is valid for 12 month, and you don't need to submit prints/pics within 12 months of your last filing with the paper form. That begs the question, if I paper-file a form 1 in April, with prints and pics, can I e-file a form 1 in August? I don't think that question has been addressed yet. I'm sure the ATF has their hands full with the current changes are the moment, but I hope they will adjust procedures and their e-filing system to improve filing efficiency again.

UNLESS you change your Trust if filling trust. Also, didn't they say there will no longer be Efile Form 1s?

Here's the guidelines:

Edited by Mindless-Focus
10 minutes ago, Mindless-Focus said:

UNLESS you change your Trust if filling trust. Also, didn't they say there will no longer be Efile Form 1s?

That is my understanding and why I said " all form 1's and form 4's require paper filing". Even their web site said so yesterday. (can't see it today since it's down for maintenance like every Wednesday.)

While not expressly stated or permitted, if no fingerprint cards and pictures need to be submitted, e-filing should technically be possible. The generated PDF of the application can be printed and mailed to CLEO. The certification form can be scanned and attached.

My hope is that they get tired of lugging large boxes of paper around and will eventually allow limited (as the discussed example) e-filing. It is my hope, nothing else.

Edited by Obiwan
Speelchucked
1 minute ago, Obiwan said:

That is my understanding and why I said " all form 1's and form 4's require paper filing". Even their web site said so yesterday. (can't see it today since it's down for maintenance as every Wednesday..)

While note expressly stated or permitted, if no fingerprint cards and pictures need to be submitted, e-filing should technically be possible. The generated PDF of the applicatio can be printed and mailed to CLEO. The certification form can be scanned and attached.

My hope is that they get tired of lugging large boxes of paper around and will eventually allow limited (as the discussed example) e-filing. It is my hope, nothing else.

Yeah, wasn't taking a stab at you or anything. I phrased it poorly. It was more an open question in general. 

Here the statement from the ATF e-File logon page:

Important Notices for eForms Users

Due to the provisions of 41F the ATF Forms 1 and 5 are temporarily unavailable for submission through the eForms system. The forms were removed to allow ATF the opportunity to revise the forms and the workflows associated with the forms to incorporate the new requirements of 41F. While we do not have a specific date as to when the forms will be available again, we are working diligently to bring these forms back at a future point in time.

To view or use updated fillable copies of the ATF Forms 1, 4, 5, and the new 5320.23 (that can be mailed to ATF) along with additional information on 41F, please visit https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regulations/final-rule-41f-background-checks-responsible-persons-effective-july-13

The ATF Form 3 was returned to the eForms system on 7/7/2016.

• 5 weeks later...