Baton Rouge LA Officers shot

That’s terrible.

A Cleveland Police Officer is on FOX saying that anyone open carrying around the convention will be treated as a hostile. I think that’s going to be going on all over the country.

They are asking for an emergency ban by the Governor for open carry in the county.

Edited by DaveTN
2 hours ago, DaveTN said:

That’s terrible.

A Cleveland Police Officer is on FOX saying that anyone open carrying around the convention will be treated as a hostile. I think that’s going to be going on all over the country.

They are asking for an emergency ban by the Governor for open carry in the county.

Yeah....that'll work out well.:confused:

I hate that police officers are getting shot, but many of them have sort of made this bed they find themselves in now. You often get about as much respect out of folks as you give.

A lot of people are currently pulling their heads out of their backsides and deciding they're tired of being pushed around by an ever growing government.

I'm afraid this is going to get a lot worse before it lets up.

• Like 1

They shouldn't have to ban open carry near the conventions gun owners with "common sense" should understand that it's a tinderbox and not inflame the situation. 

As responsible gun owners we ought to act responsibly. What we do, how we do it, what we say, etc. Reflects on us all. I think that this is a time where our behaviour as a class of people can make a difference. There has been more than a bit of talk about being insensitive to one group or another. What we need to be is more sensitive about our own group... That doesn't mean we should hide, or even hold our tongues. We should speak out but in a way that puts us all in a positive light.

I had a conversation with someone recently that mentioned how horrible it was that gun in the hands of civilians caused so much grief & pain. I politely stood my ground as a truly responsible gun owner and informed them that neither me, or anyone I knew that owned guns was committing crimes against anyone! The truly responsible gun owners are invisible because they don't attract the attention of the law or the public. The focus should be criminal BEHAVIOR with guns. 

What are we as a group doing to improve our image in these trying times?

RANT OFF

I do hope that cooler heads prevail in the days to come. Our prayers go out to all those hurt by these events in any way.

• Like 4
56 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Yeah....that'll work out well.:confused:

I hate that police officers are getting shot, but many of them have sort of made this bed they find themselves in now. You often get about as much respect out of folks as you give.

A lot of people are currently pulling their heads out of their backsides and deciding they're tired of being pushed around by an ever growing government.

I'm afraid this is going to get a lot worse before it lets up.

48 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

It is indeed a sad time for this once great country.

Fill us in on exactly what you know about the 6 Officers in Baton Rouge or the 12 Officers in Dallas that justified them being shot.

I truly don’t understand why you or a few others on here hate cops so much. But as a patriot that truly cares about my country, believes it is great and wants to keep it that way; I support our Police Officers as most Americans do. I think it is imperative we understand this isn’t about race; it’s about crime and violence. A line has been drawn in the sand and blacks and whites alike are getting on one side or the other; most of them on the same side.

Edited by DaveTN
  • Like 6
  • Authorized Vendor

Three dead officers now. I how they shoot the person responsible for this lawlessness and everyone else who does this unspeakable act.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2016/07/17/baton-rouge-murders-if-killing-cops-becomes-new-normal-america-is-doomed.html

What we are experiencing right now no longer feels isolated. It no longer feels extraordinary. Sadly, this extreme violence against our men and women in blue is beginning to feel routine.

And that is particularly frightening.

Our society cannot operate — cannot function — when we normalize this type of violence against the very people dedicated and tasked with upholding the rule of law.

Read more.

This IS a sad time for our country. Violence has become too acceptable gains anyone, and not enough people take the time to think about the situation as a whole. It's too easy for everyone on all sides to cherry pick the information they want and feed it to those that want to hear it...

LEO'so have an incredibly hard job I respect that. There are some statistics that show that people matching g certain descriptions have a higher interaction rate with LEO's. Rather than react with only violence we ALL should ask why? Are there bad actors in our society? Yes. What are we as a community doing about it? 

2 hours ago, DaveTN said:

Fill us in on exactly what you know about the 6 Officers in Baton Rouge or the 12 Officers in Dallas that justified them being shot.

I truly don’t understand why you or a few others on here hate cops so much. But as a patriot that truly cares about my country, believes it is great and wants to keep it that way; I support our Police Officers as most Americans do. I think it is imperative we understand this isn’t about race; it’s about crime and violence. A line has been drawn in the sand and blacks and whites alike are getting on one side or the other; most of them on the same side.

You know full well I was talking about the police community in general, and do not know a single thing about the individuals shot.

Because a man wears a badge doesn't mean he should be a bully. This is something I see far too often. Others see it as well. I'm sorry you don't like it, but that's the way it is no matter how much you try to defend it.

My kid was stopped a while back for not wearing a seatbelt. That's a bullchit law, but it IS a law, and he broke it. No one was upset about the ticket, but the troopers smart mouth and bully attitude left an impression with my son he'll not forget. There's no reason for all that.

Of course, he'll not resort to violence over the issue, but the trooper could have refrained from being an ass and made a positive impression on a young man, yet he chose not to.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 3
7 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

You know full well I was talking about the police community in general, and do not know a single thing about the individuals shot.

Because a man wears a badge doesn't mean he should be a bully. This is something I see far too often. Others see it as well. I'm sorry you don't like it, but that's the way it is no matter how much you try to defend it.

Police officers as a whole, do not respect the populace. Me personally, I will give a police officer the same respect I give any other man. Until he gives me a reason not to. He gets no preferential treatment from me because of a badge.

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, nightrunner said:

Police officers as a whole, do not respect the populace. Me personally, I will give a police officer the same respect I give any other man. Until he gives me a reason not to. He gets no preferential treatment from me because of a badge.

Same here. If you get your jollies tying to scare teenage kids, I don't care what happens to ya.

• Like 3

I don't know, myself, I know what side of this fight I'm on.  Are there bad cops out there, sure, just like bad soldiers, bad firefighters etc., but as a whole they do a necessary job that others don't want to do.  I support them when it's necessary and call for disciplinary action or prosecution when deemed appropriate. 

The indiscriminate shooting of law enforcement is just low, and  nothing anyone can  say will make me think otherwise. Those shooters should be put down in the street like the rabid dogs that they are.

• Like 4

Prayers for the families of the Police Officers that lost their lives in Baton Rouge this morning and also to the families of the wounded.

I don't think this is going to end soon or well. I will stand on the side of the police every time and I have had my share of discussions over my 68 years with them. Yea, there was a few that I felt could have been more professional.  I also realize they are not delivering PIzza's or working at Mickey D's. They are putting their lives on the line every time a 911 call comes in or every time they see a crime being committed. If it ever came down to whose back I would have you can bet it will be the Police Officers every time.........jmho

• Like 4

I find it disturbing that bring up the fact that police officers were killed today generated essentially hateful comments that its the police communities fault. Then all the government overreach crap comes out again. Some of you are so filled with twisted hatred for police that you disappoint me as members of this community. Most of you promoting this hate base your knowledge on media garbage and having had a negative contact with a police officer. I did a full police career and encountered a lot of cop haters. Some of them just hated cops, some of them were stark raving mad...and hated cops. Some of you guys need to find something or someone else to hate on. 

• Like 5

Daily Caller reports

"Baton Rouge Shooter Gavin Eugene Long Was Nation Of Islam Member, Railed Against ‘Crackers’ On YouTube Channel"

Screen-Shot-2016-07-17-at-5.05.01-PM-e14

Yet at least one of the shot cops was apparently black. Shooter was marine with honorable discharge.

http://dailycaller.com/2016/07/17/baton-rouge-shooter-gavin-eugene-long-was-nation-of-islam-member-railed-against-crackers-on-youtube-channel-video/#ixzz4Ei8VlO54

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

I'm kinda surprised at some of the responses in this thread. These officers were targeted, simply because they were officers.
Like Omega said above, are there bad cops? Certainly. Just like there's bad nurses, lawyers, soldiers, whatever. But for some of you to basically imply that this crap is justified because of some encounter you had with a policeman with little man syndrome, or because of the questionable actions of a few officers blasted all over the media is beyond absurd.

Damn shame

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

With the terrorism and civil unrest, anyone with a little foresight can see where this is heading. Best case scenario is things will get worse before they get better. During such times what does a tyrannical government do?

Our police are our first line of defense and provide an extremely valuable service. They put themselves in harms way on our behalf. God bless our police officers and their families.

I'm not looking forward to the break down of society and escalating foreign and domestic terrorism. 

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, Dennis1209 said:

With the terrorism and civil unrest, anyone with a little foresight can see where this is heading. Best case scenario is things will get worse before they get better. During such times what does a tyrannical government do?

Our police are our first line of defense and provide an extremely valuable service. They put themselves in harms way on our behalf. God bless our police officers and their families.

I'm not looking forward to the break down of society and escalating foreign and domestic terrorism. 

I don’t think things need to get worse before they get better. I also don’t think there will be a break down in society. An attack on our Police Officers is an attack on us; I think it will take a minute for most folks to realize that, but then things will change.

I don’t know that there is much the Federal government can do other than get Obama to quit giving these criminals some legitimacy.

Local governments need simply give their Police Officer the tools to kill the people that are attacking them and stand by their Officers when they are attacked by criminals.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Chucktshoes said:

I said Dallas was only the beginning. Baton Rouge won't be the end. This is liable to get very bad before it gets better and it all lies in the hands of the rank and file officer on the street. 

I'm curious what encounters you have experienced in your life that has made you feel this way.  From the age of 16 until 20 I was pulled over 13 times. I would say only one stop was somewhat questionable but even then the cop was fair. In fact, only once did I encounter a cop that was a prick. I think the vast majority of cops are good people that are doing a very difficult job. As someone else said, we need to appreciate the good ones and hold the bad ones accountable.

Blaming all "rank and file officers on the street" doesn't seem like the solution to me.

• Like 2