Employment Advice

I'm considering leaving my current job. I went through a 2 year apprenticeship with a 3 year commitment afterwards. I'm currently right around the 2nd year. I signed a paper that stated that I would stay in a maintenance position for 3 years after my apprenticeship. 

No mention of what would happen if I left. The guy I was in the apprenticeship with got fired right at the end of the 2 year apprenticeship. He didn't have to pay anything. They just parted ways. He was actually stealing time. I just wondering what they really could do to me.>

Any advice would be appreciated. I've posted what I signed before I started the apprenticeship.url]

http://20160718_215320.jpgimage sharing sites

url]

The way I understand what you signed is, you agreed to work for them in the maintenance position for 3 years in return for training you and giving you a valuable skill set. It doesn't look legally binding, but may be and probably is. But even moreso IMO, the right thing is to fulfill your side of the agreement, then go looking for employment elsewhere. Them terminating employment is one thing, but you terminating it is another.

Just my personal opinion.

• Like 7

Be a man...keep your word, fulfill your contract then look elsewhere for a better job with the benefit of a clean conscience.....being fired is another story but as far as you are concerned (in my opinion) do what you agreed to do.

• Like 4

I disagree with most here on the surface that say "you signed it, you have to live with it".  I need to know, why do you want to leave? Are working conditions not favorable? People sign stuff all the time that realize were mistakes later.  This should have been laid out in the document; "if you leave before the three years then you will pay X dollars or whatever".  If its a bad situation for you and your family and the document doesn't bind you, then you should do what's best for you.  If you are leaving for petty reasons or spite, then I agree that you should stay and fulfill your commitment.  We need more info

• Like 5

I don't know, it seems it's pretty cut and dry to me.  If you decide to leave without fulfilling your obligation, I'd be prepared to reimburse them for the time and training that went into the apprenticeship program.  While they may let you go without a hassle, you may not want to use them as a reference, which will be difficult since you seem to need to include the apprenticeship program on your resume.  And if they decide to collect on the debt, I'm sure they can afford the legal bills more than you can, even if they don't win. 

• Like 2
  • Moderators

At my employer they will pay for some college per year. If you leave within a certain timeframe of accepting such reimbursement, you have e to pay half of it back. Now, I don't think it would put you in bad light or anything, you just have to pay half of it back.

Honestly, if you have a friend in HR just be upfront with them and ask them what would need to be done on your end to find another job. See if you can come to an agreement that will leave both you and them satisfied.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As far as a reason for leaving, I know most modern professionals will disagree with me, but if it's poor working conditions, suck it up and be a man and honor your word. If it's poor pay/compensation to the point it is causing your family hardship if you are supporting one, then just be straight with your employer and state your intentions. Regardless of anything, do not leave without giving them a 2 week notice, it's a common (not so much anymore) courtesy. They may not let you work it out, but it will look infinitely better to your next employer.

Im all for bettering yourself but you can't do that if your word means nothing.

That contract may not be legal.  Were you paid as an apprentice?  Have you added value to their organization during that time?  Laws have changed, concerning apprenticeships.  I think you should consult with the Department of Commerce and Insurance and or an attorney.

• Like 1

Looks to me like you have to stay in a maintenance position instead of being able to transfer to a different job title within the company. You do what's best for you, the company does what's best for them. The CEO isn't going to cry himself to sleep when he lays off 1000 people to make sure he gets his bonus.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, JeffL said:

Looks to me like you have to stay in a maintenance position instead of being able to transfer to a different job title within the company. You do what's best for you, the company does what's best for them. The CEO isn't going to cry himself to sleep when he lays off 1000 people to make sure he gets his bonus.

This is my take as well. You've agreed to stay in a maintenance position with this company for at least 3 years, before transitioning to another department - if you stay on. You haven't agreed to work for them for 3 years

Edited by cj0e

Big boy rules and all...if you stay, you can have the time and experience to fill your resume, hopefully getting a good reference when the time comes.  If you go, you may have to pay them back, you can probably forget the reference, and you'll need to be ready for the question of why you left that position in your next job interview.

Like most things in life, this is a cost benefit analysis where only you can determine the variables.

• Like 2

After reading the document again, thoroughly this time without the preconceived idea I had the first time,  I agree with those that say this is not an agreement that you will stay employed for the time described. It states that you will stay in the maintenance dept for 3 years before being eligible for another position.  You were hired as an employee, you can certainly quit at any time.  This is not the same as a contract for paid education to be repaid through work.  You were paid the whole time.  They just didn't want to waste time training you for a maintenance position just to have you transfer to shipping, or something similar.  

That paper you signed makes no mention of any penalties for leaving before the 3 years is up. I'm no expert on employment contract law, but I'd guess that technically and legally you're off the hook.

However, I agree with the others...be prepared to explain where you've been for the last 2 years to your next employer and don't expect a reference. If I were the hiring manager at your next job, I'd have to be fairly desperate for help to hire someone who bailed on an obligation at their last job...no offense.

If the work conditions and pay at your current position aren't to your liking, I'd argue that paid training in the form of an apprenticeship was meant to offset those shortcomings and you should stick it out another year.