New Phone Scam Today

Got a phone call this morning, and my answering machine picked it up before I got to the phone. Instead of letting it record, I picked it up to answer, so I don't have a recording of the call.

What I heard was an automated message telling me to call this number, 1-669-235-4469, immediately or I would be called before a Federal Magistrate to answer for violations that I'd ignored. This is your second and last call, it said.

Puzzled, I called the number. A voice, sounding somewhat middle eastern to me, answered and identified itself as Officer unintelligible name of the IRS. I asked again who was speaking and got the same garbled result. I asked again who this was and what it was all about.

The voice asked for my name and telephone number. I said if you're the IRS, you should know that. To which the voice replied giving me the number I had called in on, but no further information. I asked again for identification of the person and the reason for the call.

Again some barely intelligible voice saying I was in violation of Federal laws and would be arrested if I didn't comply. I asked what laws and what I had done, again asking

for clarification. Got no answer, so I asked to speak to a supervisor.

Then I was asked if I was John England. When I said no and didn't give my name, the call ended with a click.

Beginnings of a scam? That's my thoughts. A search for the number revealed the information that backs up my thoughts on this.

Still kind of freaked me getting a call like that. Thought my past might have been calling. 

Edited by hipower
  • Like 3

Of course it's a scam.  What they were really after is the only question.

I don't even answer the phone anymore unless it's a number in my contact list, or I'm expecting a call from that area code.  If someone has something important to tell me, they can leave a voicemail.  Once in a blue moon I get a voicemail, but it's always a recording asking for a callback and I'll only follow-up with a real person.

• Like 6
5 minutes ago, Steelharp said:

Actually, I think if you look up your number online, it says John England. Seriously.

Really? I tried both numbers and got a reference to a church with the number and an old listing that said it was for a Trinity Lane gas station.

It's a scam, unless the IRS is staffing call centers with middle East accent required...

Wife got a call 3ish weeks ago, When she called back, answered, "hello," then "transferred" it sounded like a residence with a bunch of folks in a basement.

212 area code if i recall

Heck!  This scam has been going on for months now. They've called everyone that sets around me at work, multiple times over the last 3 months or so.  One guy has been called at least 10 times!  I don't understand why they aren't all in jail, if they are in the States. If they are overseas, then I don't understand why we haven't turned a drone loose on their ass yet! :D

12 minutes ago, Moped said:

Heck!  This scam has been going on for months now. They've called everyone that sets around me at work, multiple times over the last 3 months or so.  One guy has been called at least 10 times!  I don't understand why they aren't all in jail, if they are in the States. If they are overseas, then I don't understand why we haven't turned a drone loose on their ass yet! :D

Jails are full to the brim, immigration courts are probably back logged for years.

They're not dealing drugs or committing acts of violence with guns or bombs, so they are looooow priority.

Apparently there is no concern about what these  criminals actually do with the money collected after expenses.

To end the automated calls do this. Find a recording, like on Youtube, of the first few seconds of the disconnected line tone. Record that as your greeting followed by your message. To a person it is some sort of glitch and they won't think anything of it but an automated dialer will hear it and list your number as disconnected. I used to get horrible telemarketer calls on my cell phone. I actually got a call while I was telling another to quit calling. After recording the disconnected tone and letting all calls go to my voice message all the calls pretty much stopped. I still have to let my phone go to my voice message a few days a year but it is way better than before.

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, Shug said:

The government wants you they won't be giving you a courtesy call. They will arrive in a couple dark SUV

Well yeah... That or, you know,

3 hours ago, VERO1 said:

The IRS doesn't call people, they send certified letters.

Interesting I got the exact same call this afternoon around 2-3pm.  Mine was a "live" middle eastern sounding male stating the same as the OP describes.  I just hung up on him if any federal entity wants me they would send me a letter first...then come find me.  Hate Spammers

4 hours ago, Moped said:

I don't understand why they aren't all in jail, if they are in the States. If they are overseas, then I don't understand why we haven't turned a drone loose on their ass yet! :D

The admin would never do that to it's voters. 

• Like 2

If they call back just tell them a looooooong story HP. Make up some stuff about your nieces nephew being down on his luck so you loaned him your tax money. Include as many humorous antidotes about made up relations as you possibly can. I have a sneaking suspicion he will get tired of listening before you get tired of BSing. :D 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, TrickyNicky said:

If they call back just tell them a looooooong story HP. Make up some stuff about your nieces nephew being down on his luck so you loaned him your tax money. Include as many humorous antidotes about made up relations as you possibly can. I have a sneaking suspicion he will get tired of listening before you get tired of BSing. :D 

LOL....I used to do this back when we had a home phone and got telemarketer calls all the time. I had a fun time with some of them. I'd scold an imaginary child and tell them I was sorry, they'd have to start over and do this a couple of times in about 3 minutes. Sometimes I'd interrupt them several times to "go over that again....I didn't understand that part".....If it was a female I'd start asking them personal questions about anatomy....that always cut the call real short. LOL

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 2:10 PM, hipower said:

Still kind of freaked me getting a call like that. Thought my past might have been calling. 

The statute of limitations has probably run out on all that stuff.

Old scam pay fine or go to jail or tax problems pay now or go to jail. When these idiots call just say Salam alechem and allah achbar over and over and they'll go away. If you have time they're fun to mess with but be warned if you start talking about camels they'll hang up right away and keep calling back.
U can
Always play along and give em a bogus credit card number and tell them you'll pay cash if they get someone to meet you. I used to get mad at em, now I just play w them if I have time

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Dustbuster said:

Old scam pay fine or go to jail or tax problems pay now or go to jail. When these idiots call just say Salam alechem and allah achbar over and over and they'll go away. If you have time they're fun to mess with but be warned if you start talking about camels they'll hang up right away and keep calling back.
U can
Always play along and give em a bogus credit card number and tell them you'll pay cash if they get someone to meet you. I used to get mad at em, now I just play w them if I have time

Dusty really messed with one guy once. I heard a recording and damn near spit out my soup. And I wasn't even eating soup! :rofl:

• Like 1