Steyr Handguns?

Guest Rooster

Guest Rooster

Just wondering if any of you guys have one and what you thought about them, or if anyone has anything to say about them. I was looking at them online and they look like a really nice, well made piece.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always thought they were cool. I don't know how good they run but as far as I know Steyr still has a great reputation. They fit my hand well.

The one thing that gets me on their handguns are the sights. I don't know if you can change them out or not but they're just too wierd for me.

Guest Rooster
I always thought they were cool. I don't know how good they run but as far as I know Steyr still has a great reputation. They fit my hand well.

The one thing that gets me on their handguns are the sights. I don't know if you can change them out or not but they're just too wierd for me.

I did notice the sights and they did look strange, but I dont think its something i couldnt get used to. Im looking for a second carry gun and no matter what it is I have always liked getting something that not everyone has. Ive never seen anyone with a Steyr, and like I said they look like a nice, well built gun.

I had the pleasure of shooting a Steyr (about 10 rounds ) at the last IDPA match, a guy had one that he shot the match with and done good with it, expert on the classifier, and he let me shoot it. I was about 10 yards away and I put a nice group in the 0 ring. The gentleman said he had about 23,000 rounds though it, at about 10-12 thousand rounds the safety on the side would work its way down and go on safe ( least I think that is what he said about it ) and he got that fixed and it has started doing it again 10k rounds later, but it worked fine for him during the match. He also said that the newer Steyr is made a little different and do not have that part on the new ones.

Another gentleman bought a newer Steyr and he said it went full auto a couple of times and sold or traded it.

I have small hands and it seems like the older one fit my hand better than the newer one did, just my $.02 worth.

Guest Loaded247

I have a Steyr M40-A1 that I carry. The A1 variant is their latest model, without the safety. I had an S40, which is there compact model, and which also had a more pronounced grip angle...that gun felt BEAUTIFUL in the hand, but I would have failure to eject issues 3 rounds out of 100.

I sent the pistol in, and they sent me (gave me the choice) the M40-A1 as a replacement. I have put over 500 rounds of my carry ammo through the pistol, with NO problems. The sights ARE weird, but they work. I like the gun a lot.

DeeZee is right, the USA portion of their operations went belly up, and their remaining inventory was sold to CDNN. My understanding is that they will be selling the A1s at very good prices....$349, last I heard, and the price could in fact go down.

If you purchase one, make sure you try to get the A1 version.....the earlier models had some of the issues I spoke about. Also, in the earlier versions, they had more issues with the 9mm than they did with the .40....

Hope this helps.

Guest Rooster
That they do, but they dont list their firearms on it......just in their catalouge.

CDDN

Crap, My company blocks all the cool websites. I'll just have to wait til I get home to look.

But you can download the catalog as a PDF from their website. ;)

You sure can!!:devil:........But I

don't

think the 07' catalog is out yet :(.

I'm

waiting with bated breath :up:

Guest MidTNShooter

I shoot the Steyr M40 A-1 at matches and is more reliable than the Glocks on many points. The sghts are trapazoid and allow a quick focus on the front sight. Steyr did not go belly up, but SteyrUSA, the Cummings,GA importing company, DID sell their surplus to CDNN. Oliver Bauer in Austria has told me that they are okay. My main issue wasn't them as much going belly up, but the extra parts (springs, extractor pins,etc). They did a now show at Shot Show and has really made the Steyr community a little, no A LOT upset. SAI stated that they were held up with imports. Jack Riddle with Steyr USA should have shown. Jack is a real nice guy and has his hands tied by the Austrians. If you have any questions, please feel to email at MidTNShooter@yahoo.com.

As for buying the pistol, you'd be crazy if you didn't. CDNN has the pistol far below dealer rates. All of us in the Steyr community believe that SAI has pushed the product on to promote their pistols instead of spending money on advertising. Oliver said that they don't advertise in Austria, why should they here in the US. I almost agree with owners like me that promote it.

Thanks to All !

MidTNShooter.

The Steyrs are great guns. I have three of the original M series in 9mm. One has aprox. 23,000 rounds through it. Nothing else out there fits my hand better. They are more prone to the occassional breakage than a Glock. The drop safety on the one with 23,000 rounds has broken twice. It broke at aprox. 10,000 rounds and was replaced. The replacement part broke at aprox. 23,000 rounds. The gun continued to function in both instances. Information on steyrforum.com has confirmed my opinion that the drop safety is prone to breakage between 10,000 and 13,000 rounds. Other than the drop safety breaking they have preformed flawlessly.

Guest MidTNShooter

My only problem is extra parts for emergencies. Jack would have a problem with me drop kicking my pistol in the woods when I don't have emergency replacement parts. I even thought about buying another one from CDNN, if for nothing more than spare parts. :D)

Take Care,

MidTNShooter

Guest MidTNShooter

If you need parts for your Steyr, let me know and I will see that you can get them. CDNN seems to be unable to get them at this point. Hopefully, they will be the new STEYRUSA. I just received my extractor and firing pin setup.

Email me (quicker) @ midtnshooter@yahoo.com

Take Care,

MTS

• 2 weeks later...

State Dept. Sanctions 9 Foreign Companies

By BARRY SCHWEID

The Associated Press

Wednesday, December 28, 2005; 1:55 AM

WASHINGTON -- The Bush administration is punishing nine foreign companies, six of them in China, for selling missile goods and chemical arms material to Iran.

In making the announcement Tuesday, State Department spokesman Adam Ereli said the sanctions were based on "credible evidence," which he did not disclose.

Two of the companies are Indian and the other is Austrian.

As a result, Ereli said, the United States will not provide export licenses to the companies for doing business here and will ban U.S. government purchases from the companies.

The action was taken under the Iran Nonproliferation Act, which Congress passed in 2000 to deter international support for Iran's nuclear, chemical and biological weapons programs and for missile-delivery systems.

"It's an important and effective tool in constraining Iran's efforts to develop missile and weapons of mass destruction capabilities," Ereli said.

"It does have an impact, particularly in alerting governments to activity taking place in their countries," he said.

Preventing proliferation of dangerous technology is difficult "and there are always going to be those who put narrow commercial self-interest above greater social good or public welfare," the spokesman said.

China, in the past, has denied its government or any of its companies have supplied missile or weapons-related material to Iran.

In an unclassified report to Congress last year, the Central Intelligence Agency said Iran was pursuing nuclear and chemical-biological weapons programs and was trying to procure material from commercial entities in Russia, China, North Korea and Europe.

The Washington Times reported the U.S. action in Tuesday's editions.

The Chinese companies named by Ereli are China Aerotechnology Import Export Corp., the missile exporter China North Industries Corp., Zibo Chemet Equipment Co., the Hongdu Aviation Industry Group, Ounion International Economic and Technical Cooperative Ltd., and the Limmt Metallurgy and Minerals Co.

The two sanctioned Indian companies are Sabero Organics Chemical and Sandhya Organics Chemical.

The Austrian firm is Steyr-Mannlicher, which makes assault weapons.

© 2005 The Associated Press

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/20...005122700698_pf.html