Suggestions for my son's first handgun please

Yes go to a rental range. Knowing your budget would help as well as is this for plinking, competition, defense, etc.?

For me it's important that the first gun is also as reliable as possible.  Nothing good frustrates new shooters more than poor reliability. It takes the fun out of shooting to the point of quitting for some...

• Like 2

All of the suggestion's of taking him to the range are great but at his age I'd be more inclined to recommend a Ruger Single Six convertible .22LR/.22WMRor a Ruger .22/45 .22LR. Either of those will get a lot of use and he'll enjoy them a lot.

• Like 4

I agree with many other comments regarding renting different pistols. Especially if he has no experience with shooting. I bought my first handgun in November 2015 without firing one. That was a Springfield XD Mod 2 9mm and I really lucked out. Great gun but bulky to carry. I then bought a Sig P938. For me, it was a terrible pistol. My hands are not small and I couldn't get a firm grip on the gun so each range experience was very unpleasant so I sold it.

If he does have experience then my favorite handgun is  the Sig P320 Compact 9mm. I have fired over 1,100 rounds with no issues and is very accurate. Just check it out and Good luck with your decision.

• Like 2

Nothing wrong with Glocks, except the lack of a soul....

for a 1st, make it something nice. Honestly, a quality Ruger or S&W .357 would be a gun for a young man to own his entire life and never outgrow its usefulness. 4" stainless or blued. Simple manual of arms, lots of ammo options/availability , good for field, plinking or HD use. 

• Like 5

I gotta imagine any son of Greg's (a member with over 9k posts here on TGO) has probably shot a gun before. Maybe even twice, lol!

Obviously, he won't be carrying for at least 3 years, so carry guns are out.  He's turning 18, not 8, so I really doubt a .22 is all he can handle.

This sounds like an heirloom to me.  Heirlooms are rarely plastic. ;)  I'm thinking a nice, American made 1911 or a 357 or 44 mag.  K or L frame or equivalent.  No Taurus, Citadel, Bersa, etc.  

Maybe a nice Springfield Range Officer, Colt Gold Cup, (I'm not personally a Colt fan, but the name still has some prestige to many) Smith model 19, 27, or 29, maybe a Ruger GP100, or if you have thousands a sweet Python or Anaconda.

Let us know what you choose!

• Like 7

At 18 my son's first personal handgun that I gave him was a .38 special revolver.  That has been quite a few years ago now and he still has it and still loves it.  He has several of semi-auto handguns now and likes those as well.  The revolver also worked well for training his bride and it's her favorite now as well. 

• Like 6

What does HE like?  Really, what will he appreciate the most?  Is he an experienced shooter?  Then go with something in a useful caliber.  Will he appreciate an heirloom?  You might look at a really nice Colt Trooper III or S&W M66.  But your first gun is something you will always remember.

Mine was a No. 5 Lee Enfield .303 I bought in a Canadian hardware store for $40 when I was 16.  I sold it when I moved back to the US as importing it wasn't worth it.  But I soon bought another when I turned legal age in the US.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, musicman said:

I gotta imagine any son of Greg's (a member with over 9k posts here on TGO) has probably shot a gun before. Maybe even twice, lol!

Obviously, he won't be carrying for at least 3 years, so carry guns are out.  He's turning 18, not 8, so I really doubt a .22 is all he can handle.

This sounds like an heirloom to me.  Heirlooms are rarely plastic. ;)  I'm thinking a nice, American made 1911 or a 357 or 44 mag.  K or L frame or equivalent.  No Taurus, Citadel, Bersa, etc.  

Maybe a nice Springfield Range Officer, Colt Gold Cup, (I'm not personally a Colt fan, but the name still has some prestige to many) Smith model 19, 27, or 29, maybe a Ruger GP100, or if you have thousands a sweet Python or Anaconda.

Let us know what you choose!

Right. He's grown up shooting the classics. I'm not into newer firearms, so he's not had much experience with them. I just wanted to surprise him.

It'll be a multipurpose gun, and will probably spend a lot of it's time under a truck seat. I'm looking for a working gun. He'll get the family heirlooms later.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, xsubsailor said:

Might help to know what kind of experience he has shooting. What kind of weapons......

I think I would just take him to a range that rents weapons and let him find one he likes.

He's been shooting a model 29 Smith and Wesson longer than he's been in school.:devil:

He's my kid. He's had a LOT of experience shooting guns. He's never shown much of an affinity for anything in particular, but has always enjoyed shooting whatever I drug out at the time.

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, 1gewehr said:

What does HE like?  Really, what will he appreciate the most?  Is he an experienced shooter?  Then go with something in a useful caliber.  Will he appreciate an heirloom?  You might look at a really nice Colt Trooper III or S&W M66.  But your first gun is something you will always remember.

Mine was a No. 5 Lee Enfield .303 I bought in a Canadian hardware store for $40 when I was 16.  I sold it when I moved back to the US as importing it wasn't worth it.  But I soon bought another when I turned legal age in the US.

His first gun is a beautiful custom Mauser action rifle in 257 Roberts his grandfather built for him. I'm just looking for a knock around gun.

I have a few ideas. I figure you guys will come up with some interesting things I hadn't considered.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, TNWNGR said:

All of the suggestion's of taking him to the range are great but at his age I'd be more inclined to recommend a Ruger Single Six convertible .22LR/.22WMRor a Ruger .22/45 .22LR. Either of those will get a lot of use and he'll enjoy them a lot.

A single six convertible was my first handgun. Still got it!

Perfect truck gun is a Canik. Not too expensive, and works great...

If it was me I'd give him a god quality stainless 4in 357. It will last forever with little care and can be used for almost any reasonable task a handgun could be asked to do.

• Like 3

A Smith and Wesson 686 will both for the bill for usefulness and be an heirloom. I've had mine fo 25+ years and it is still my most impressive pistol. 

Of course if you can't find one with out that silly lock, I would pass. 

Lucky young man either way! Good on you!

• Like 4