8 minutes ago, bud said:

I appreciate the offer, Dave.

She's got a g19 and 34 and pm9, so looking to stay in 9mm with the MK9. If we pickup a new caliber, I think it'll be the .32 s&w long.

You might want to keep in mind a revolver chambered in the new .327 Federal can also shoot .32 S&W, .32 S&W Long, and .32 H&R Magnum.

• Like 2

A re-read of your post and follow-ups I think your mom has a good Defensive pistol, especially if she shoots it well.  Sounds like she needs a good range gun to 'play'.  Lots of choices whether revolvers or larger autos.  A full size 9mm will be significantly different than her carry Kahr.

59 minutes ago, bud said:

I appreciate the offer, Dave.

She's got a g19 and 34 and pm9, so looking to stay in 9mm with the MK9. If we pickup a new caliber, I think it'll be the .32 s&w long.

Well if you want to stay with the 9mm you could always get a 9mm revolver. Ruger has the LCR, Taurus has the 905, and Charter Arms has the Pitbull and that's just off the top of my head.

• Like 1

My SCSW says a model 30 with a 4” barrel weighs 18 oz. A Ruger LCR in .327 with a 1.87” barrel weighs 17 oz., so I think they are about the same size.

Like a .357 giving you more ammo choices over a .38; the .327 gives you more ammo choices over a .32.

The Ruger is $500 new.

The SP101 is available in .327, but right now they only list the 4”. It weighs 29.5oz, so when/if they offer the 2.25 it should be around 26oz. It should be around $600 new.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, bud said:

I am thankful. I just got into handguns and rifles 6 or 7 years ago after owning shotguns my whole life. Tried to get mom and dad into handguns too, but so far only mom has taken the bait haha

That’s pretty cool; you are lucky.

My cousin carries an LCR in .38 special and does pretty well with it. She has arthritis and can't rack the slide on just about anything but her SR 22. Recoil is only a problem after firing several shots. The LCR in .327 should be less recoil especially with low recoil ammo and carries 6 shots instead of 5.

• Like 1

Most revolvers will recoil more than a similarly size and weight semi auto in a comparable caliber. I have found only a few women that are ok with the snap of the 2" j frames. I have owned, or still do, just about every S&W revolver configuration. The all steel 36, 60, 640, 39, or similar are probably the best compromise for carry and shoot ability. Someone mentioned the 940 9mm and it is a heavy recoiling revolver and was discontinued partially because of malfunctions. They are also very pricey. The 32 family of S&W j frames can be pricey unless you find an older S&W 30 or 31, but then you give up a lot of energy. A rimfire revolver is a great option, but by nature they have a very stiff trigger. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Patton said:

Most revolvers will recoil more than a similarly size and weight semi auto in a comparable caliber. I have found only a few women that are ok with the snap of the 2" j frames. I have owned, or still do, just about every S&W revolver configuration. The all steel 36, 60, 640, 39, or similar are probably the best compromise for carry and shoot ability. Someone mentioned the 940 9mm and it is a heavy recoiling revolver and was discontinued partially because of malfunctions. They are also very pricey. The 32 family of S&W j frames can be pricey unless you find an older S&W 30 or 31, but then you give up a lot of energy. A rimfire revolver is a great option, but by nature they have a very stiff trigger. 

You have a typo. The 39 was a single stack 9mm

To ME, my 642 with the aftermarket Pachmayr grips I put on it isn't bad for recoil, at all, even with +P loads and I can shoot it pretty accurately at likely SD distances.  With the factory grips it was terrible - it hurt my hand and I couldn't hit worth a hoot.  The caveat here, however, is that I like revolvers more than semis, anyhow, and seem to shoot them better.  I also don't tend to be bothered as much by recoil as some, other folks (the factory grips on the 642 didn't just cause higher felt recoil but actually caused the backstrap to painfully beat up my hand with each shot no matter how I adjusted my grip or how tightly I held it.)

If your mom really wants a carry revolver and recoil is an issue then you might look into something like a Ruger SP101 in .357 and load it with .38 Special self defense loads.  The weight and mass of the SP101 really helps to mitigate recoil (I don't have one but have shot one a good bit with both .38 and .357 rounds.)  Of course, the trade off is that the weight and mass make it figuratively akin to carrying around a boat anchor but that is pretty much going to be the trade off with any handgun whether revolver or semiauto.

When she was ready to 'move up' from shooting .22 pistols I taught my ex-wife to shoot using a snubnosed Rossi .357 (one of the 'newer' ones made by Taurus) that had belonged to her late father.  I had her load it with .38 Special rounds.  Due to hand strength issues she had trouble finding a semi on which she could rack the slide.  At first she had trouble with the trigger but after I got her to adjust her hold and the way her finger was positioned on the trigger she had no trouble with it.  Again, however, it is a fairly heavy, bulky gun for what it is.  It is also larger than a j-frame.  I carried it, some and I had trouble finding holsters that would specifically fit it - in fact, that was the reason I made the first leather holster I ever made.  She finally ended up getting a Kel Tec P32 because she found that not only could she easily rack the slide but it also has very mild recoil which didn't bother her hands even though the pistol is very light and small - mild enough that I can do a 'mag dump' shooting one handed with my off (left) hand and stay on a paper target at about 12 yards or so just doing point shooting.  Or at least I could the last time I tried it.  I can't really control my P3AT shooting that way very well, at all.  No, a .32 isn't a 9mm, a .45 or whatever but I would hardly say that someone carrying a .32 is 'unarmed', either.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 1

If anyone has concerns on slide manipulations......simply go with a Beretta Tomcat.  Small, a little heavy, but just flip the barrel to load and unload.  Safety easy to manipulate.  In about 5 minutes anyone can learn to safely manipulate/operate this gun.  IMO one of the safest guns on the market because of its ease of use.

22 hours ago, monkeylizard said:

Don't forget about the (usually) much heavier trigger on a revolver than a semi. My wife can't pull the factory trigger on a 642 and keep it on target. She can barely pull the trigger on it at all. An LCR is about the same in her opinion.

Don't take this as me saying you are 'wrong' as that is not what I am saying.  Just offering a different, general perspective.

When I first started her with that Rossi .357 my ex had difficulty pulling the trigger making it almost impossible for her to use the gun.  I looked at what she was doing and realized that the problem wasn't the trigger pull.  The problem was her trigger finger.  She was used to shooting semiauto .22 pistols and her finger was positioned on the trigger the way it would be positioned on a semiauto trigger.  Revolver triggers are actually easier to pull if you put less finger on the trigger - basically using the center of the pad at the end of the trigger finger rather than first knuckle/end of the second joint as you might with some/most semiautos.  Once I had her re-position her trigger finger she had no problems, whatsoever, pulling the trigger and staying on target.  It was a leverage issue rather than a hand/finger strength issue.  Not saying that is the case with everyone who has trouble pulling a revolver trigger but it is something to think about.  FWIW she dry fired an LCR a couple of times and said that she was amazed at how easy the trigger was to pull (this was after I had gotten her to adjust her trigger finger position for revolvers.)

Another thing to consider is that many small semiautos are DAO and have a trigger pull that is just about as heavy as a revolver.  My P3AT has a fairly long, stiff trigger pull and the trigger pull on the P11 I used to have felt stiffer/heavier than most of my revolvers (not counting the Nagant revolver in DA mode.)  That is another thing that makes me wonder if - again, only in some cases - it isn't that the trigger on a small, DAO semi is easier to pull so much as the shooter just doesn't realize that a revolver generally requires a different trigger finger position.

As for the 642, in addition to making the recoil much more manageable the Pachmayr grips I put on mine also make pulling the trigger much easier just because of the slight difference in hand position.  Honestly, I knew I didn't like the factory grips mine came with but I didn't realize that I absolutely hated and downright despised them until I changed them out for the Pachys.

I am not saying that 'everyone should carry a revolver' or anything like that.  I am also not saying that there aren't folks who, due to certain physical issues, may not be able to reliably shoot a revolver.  I am simply suggesting that sometimes the difficulties that people have with revolvers are not actually due to the trigger pull, recoil, etc. so much as they are due to hand/trigger finger positioning and the grips the revolver is wearing, both of which are easily remedied if someone really wants to carry a revolver but has difficulties with these things.

Edited by JAB