Inexpensive Shot Guns?

kieefer

Looking at low-end tactical shotguns, H&R, Turkish Emperor ect..

I'm not real familiar with what's available or if their worth their shot (pun intended) and the use will be limited and mainly just an easy to get to home protector in 12ga.

Anyone have experience or advice will be well received. :usa:

I've got a 870 and thought about getting a 18" barrel but this is a nice gun I've had since a kid so I rather not mess with it.

The thought process is a $200 shotgun to throw under the bed or leave in the garage and not worry too much about. I'm cool with used gun and may hit a few dealers and pawn shops, looking for opinions as usual.

Edited by kieefer
  • Authorized Vendor
10 minutes ago, kieefer said:

I've got a 870 and thought about getting a 18" barrel but this is a nice gun I've had since a kid so I rather not mess with it.

The thought process is a $200 shotgun to throw under the bed or leave in the garage and not worry too much about. I'm cool with used gun and may hit a few dealers and pawn shops, looking for opinions as usual.

A friend of mine bought a used Mossburg at a pawn shop in Lawrenceburg a few months ago for $200 and it wasn't in bad shape at all. He has his in a soft bag in his shop just to keep the dust off of it. It works like it's supposed to.

My son has an 870 and it's been nothing but a headache for him...just sayin'.

• Like 2

A couple of years back, I caught an 870 pump on sale at Dicks. There was an additional 20% off the sale price, and a $50 mail in rebate, so I took it home for under $200. You won't always stumble across a deal like that, but it does happen from time to time. You can't beat an 870 for simplicity and reliability.

They had 12s and 20s for the same price. My only regret is that I didn't get one of each.

• Like 1
The H&R is a 870 clone, including the steel receiver. The maverick and 500 are not steel. Academy has the H&R for 179.99 this week. 

I've had several of the H&R's. They're arguably a better gun than the 870 (higher quality steel) and parts interchange. Barrels swap as well, with a little mod. I prefer them to the Remington's.

• Like 2

I bought a H&R about 2 years ago from Buds when they were $92 shipped. I've beat on that thing and it's never let me down.

We have several 870's (10 or so), and I prefer my H&R to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
11 hours ago, nightrunner said:

The H&R Pardner is pretty dang close to an 870 clone. Most all accessories fit.

The Maverick 88 is a cheaper version of the Mossberg 500.

Either one of these or a used 870 or 500 at a pawnshop should serve you well.

Yep on the Maverick.  I have a Maverick Security 88.  They are available in an 18.5 inch barrel but I chose the 20 inch barrel because it holds one more round in the tube mag  Basically, it is a Mossberg 500 'clone' that is actually made by Mossberg.  In fact, they often have a 'Mossberg' sticker on the stock when purchased new.  Functionally, the biggest difference, to my understanding, is the position of the safety (some folks actually prefer the Maverick on that aspect.)  There used to be a difference in the forearm setup, too (so that Mossberg forearms wouldn't fit the Maverick unless you changed some things out) but I am not sure if that is still the case.  To my understanding, Mossberg is able to sell the Maverick shotguns for a little less because some of the work on them is done in Mexico (I think some of the parts are made there and the shotguns are actually assembled in the U.S.but can't recall, for sure.)  The buttstocks and (to my understanding) barrels made for a Mossberg 500 will fit the Maverick.  Be aware that there are also Maverick 88 models that have 'full-length' barrels.  There are a couple of the 'full length' versions that are available in 20 gauge but the Security models are only available in 12 gauge.

http://www.mossberg.com/category/series/maverick-88/

• Like 1

I went down to my local gun shop today and was just holster shopping. I swear.

Ended up with an H&R Pardner for under $200 which I thought was a decent enough deal. 

So far I really like it, operates like an 870 which is something I'm familiar enough with to be comfortable with right out of the gate. I think the trigger may be a hair heavier, but I don't have an 870 to compare to ATM and it has been to long since I shot one to definitively say. 

All in all I guess just go out and see whats available and something will jump out at ya. :up:

• Like 4

Looking on Buds I see a few others that are in the $200 range, some I never heard of.

Maverick Arms model 88, Rossi, ASi, Interstate Arms and Stevens, (I have one in bolt action that's 12ga.) couple of others. Sounds like the H&R is a pretty good bet, I knew Mossberg should be a popular one. 

Looking on Buds I see a few others that are in the $200 range, some I never heard of.

Maverick Arms model 88, Rossi, ASi, Interstate Arms and Stevens, (I have one in bolt action that's 12ga.) couple of others. Sounds like the H&R is a pretty good bet, I knew Mossberg should be a popular one. 

FYI - Interstate Arms (IAC)/H&R are virtually the same thing. IAC has better furniture and sight options. Here's what i did with my current IAC Hawk 982. Hogue 12" LOP stock, side saddle, Choate 870 +1 mag extension and 870 Choate HG. Altogether, ran me under $300.

3065e2818ebcd8fdc95095db6213bafd.jpgb52a79f6145f37874d92d63b86a88f9e.jpg

• Like 4

FYI - Interstate Arms (IAC)/H&R are virtually the same thing. IAC has better furniture and sight options. Here's what i did with my current IAC Hawk 982. Hogue 12" LOP stock, side saddle, Choate 870 +2 mag extension and 870 Choate HG. Altogether, ran me under $200.
3065e2818ebcd8fdc95095db6213bafd.jpgb52a79f6145f37874d92d63b86a88f9e.jpg

What finish is that? I really wish mine had peep sights, even though I know conventional wisdom is that a bead is good enough for anything but slugs

What finish is that? I really wish mine had peep sights, even though I know conventional wisdom is that a bead is good enough for anything but slugs

It's Dupli-color "cast iron" hi temp engine enamel. Rattle canned it over the park and then cooked it in the oven.
4 hours ago, Smith said:

It's Dupli-color "cast iron" hi temp engine enamel. Rattle canned it over the park and then cooked it in the oven.

I don't want to hijack the thread but I'm really curious about this. Do you think it's ok to apply this over a little rust? I have a 870 police magnum with a pretty rough finish. I was going to send it off for cerakote but this looks like a cheaper alternative.