3G4V Run N Gun, Presented by Rockcastle: March 18, 2017

I realize this isn't "technically" in TN, so I understand if the moderators want to axe it from the Tennessee Forum - but I am in Tennessee, so surely that gets some consideration???

The Rockcastle Run-N-Gun is a centerfire biathlon – competitors will complete a 5K run combined with a shooting competition. The event is a test of man and equipment alike. It is intended to give participants an idea of how being hot, cold, exhausted, and challenged by the environment affects their shooting, and to test the effectiveness of their gear under field conditions. This event is not intended for inexperienced shooters – all participants are expected to be familiar with the operation of their firearms, and to observe basic principles of firearm safety at all times. With the exception of emergencies, Range Officers (ROs) are not allowed to help participants in any way. Good attitudes are a must. If you are the type of person who gets upset when minor changes are made to a plan or when you don’t always get your way, this is not the event for you. 

More details can be found here:  Rockcastle Run N Gun 5k:  March 18, 2017

Edited by Matt in TN
19 minutes ago, KKing said:

Man, I wish I had the feet for this. Unfortunately it's just not possible for me. Good luck with it all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Running on your hands is perfectly acceptable, but you'd better have good retention on your mag pouches and holster!  ;/)

Running on your hands is perfectly acceptable, but you'd better have good retention on your mag pouches and holster!  ;/)

Haha if I could bike it we'd be in business. Unfortunately my running days are over
  • Like 1

I'm interested!  A couple questions--any recommendations for how to train if you live in the city?  Running the streets of Bartlett with an AR probably won't end well.  Also, any idea of round count yet?  Roughly what is the average distance between COFs?

I'm glad something like this is this close to home and is not over 300 yards.  My 1-3 scope does not inspire confidence at 500 yards lol. 

• Like 1

I run with a weighted vest for most of my training.  I live in the country and used to run in full LBE with no issues, but it put a lot of extra wear on my LBE.  The vest is simpler and they're pretty cheap.

I'll release a full course of fire and round count as we get closer to match day, but to give you an idea my standard load out is 40lbs of guns, ammo, and gear.  I shoot a .308 and a .45 though - .223 and 9mm guys can get away with less (but will get appropriately mocked by us idiots who carry more!).

We'll have 5 shooting stages over 3.5 miles.  They won't be exactly evenly spread along the course, but they're not too far from it.

Edited by Matt in TN
2 hours ago, Lumber_Jack said:

Just to pile on and add more questions.  What size targets are we shooting at for long distances? And is your score enhanced by accuracy or is it "hit/no hit" Basically my sbr upper lacks precision at distance, so that factors in rifle choice.  

Rifle targets will be no smaller than 4 MOA, and will be "hit/no hit".  There will be some pistol targets that will be IDPA type targets, with 1 or 3 seconds added to your shoot time if you don't hit the A-zone.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MacGyver said:

This looks like a lot of fun - and is a great way to get people outside over the winter when it's easier to sit on the couch.

I'm interested.

Getting people off the couch is the exact reason for putting on this match!

On July 28, 2016 at 4:45 PM, Lumber_Jack said:

what are the rifle distances "generally" speaking?  Would an SBR or pistol AR be a disadvantage? 

I missed the other half of this earlier - pistol AR (PCC) would not be allowed, or give you any advantage.  Pistols must shoot pistol calibers, and rifles must shoot rifle calibers.  It doesn't sound like you were leaning that way anyway, but I figured I'd better post this in case anyone else wonders about PCC.

• Like 1
On August 7, 2016 at 7:14 PM, 10Kilr said:

Any chance you could post some details on your LBE?

Very interested in this.

Sure - I went with the cheap Condor stuff, and it has done surprisingly well for me. I use a battle belt and h-harness as I hate trying to shoot prone with a vest (and prefer to distribute the weight around my hips instead of all on my front).  The single stack mag carriers are much better to run with than the double stack (I've run both), as they flop around a lot less while running, but that means it takes more belt space to carry the same number of mags.  Everything's a trade off!

Here's some pics of the setup from my first 10k.  Since then I've swapped out the double-stack rifle mag pouches for single-stack.  For a 5k I probably won't carry any water, but I'm doing a 20k in January that I'll probably lose the water bottle and replace it with a 3L Camelback.

LeftSide_zps1c667db8.jpg