Grand American 2016

If you haven't heard of the Grand it means you probably haven't shot a lot of trap. The Grand American is held from August 3-13, 2016. The AIM is held the week before and it lasts from July 28- August 2. I'll be up there for the whole Grand. On the off chance anyone from TGO is gonna be up there PM me and we'll get together. If not I'll be posting some pictures and videos of my adventures. Oh and I'll be doing a little shooting up there. 676e2b155fcfaf319da0c01964496329.jpg

That's 4750 shells if you're wondering.
  • Like 3
Shoot well!  Have a couple of friends from up here at Kettlefoot who are making the trip for the prelims on Wed, Thurs and Fri. Hope y'all get a break from the heat...

Me too. It's always been brutal for me up there because there's no shade.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

So I've got some videos of the complex and some shooting. I'm gonna have to upload everything once I get decent WiFi or my data recycles. Today it rained until about 0800 and it is a mess. The grass where people drive their carts has been torn up and if it continues to rain it'll look like a pigsty.

My boy and I will be there Friday in time for the fish fry.   The plan is for one of our crew to win or make the shoot offs in the Krieghoff 100 handicaps Saturday.  If that doesn't happen I still want my rib eye steak rare.  See you soon and wish you good shooting!

For those that are not aware of the size and history of the Grand American here are some more information and pictures for you.  I will start with an aerial view to to show the length that shotgunshooter drove while taking the rotated 90 degree video.

With%20Camp%20sites_zpsmj9vqpvv.png

SI28-05-4L.jpg

Debuting in 1900 at the Interstate Park in Queens, New York, the Grand American was 10.jpgoriginally a four-day tournament contested in June. For the next 20 plus years the Grand American was staged in cities such as Chicago, St. Louis and Columbus until it made its home in Vandalia, Ohio from 1923 until 2005.

In 2006, the Grand American moved to its new home at the World Shooting and Recreational Complex in Sparta, IL. This state of the art facility features 120 trap fields extending for 3.5 miles making it the worlds largest trap line. To find out more about the WSRC please visit their website.

Since its inception, the Grand American has grown from a mere 20 competitors in 1900 to more than 5,800 participants in 2006. Over the years, the likes of Annie Oakley, Roy Rogers and John Philip Sousa have participated in the Grand American.

In its current format, the Grand American consists of 24 events spanning over an 11 day period. The first 5 days of the tournament are referred to as "Preliminary Days" in which competitors may fine-tune their skills prior to competing in the championship events of "Grand Week."

Not only is the Grand American the largest shooting tournament in the world, but it also offers competitors the opportunity to explore the most advanced products and services in the shooting industry. The WSRC is a spectacular site in itself. With more than 1,000 camping sites, 100+ exhibitors, and thousands of competitors, the Grand is more than a championship. It's a celebration of the sport.

The hub for all this activity is located in the Events Center. This location provides competitors with a sophisticated entry system, which incorporates computerized classification, handicapping, entry processing/cashiering and score reporting. A closed-circuit television network conveys event leaders, event results, squads on deck and messages to better inform individuals during their stay on the grounds.

Camp sites offering hook-ups and onsite shower facilities offer the thrill of camping on-site during the 11 day event. Many competitors end the day by joining friends at various campsites to share the day's shooting stories or to enjoy a cookout.

More than 100 exhibitors are on-site to provide products and services ranging from gun sales and services, to shooting accessories and apparel. Conveniently located near the trap line, these exhibitors offer a shopping-mall type atmosphere to shop for that special item.

• Like 3
For those that are not aware of the size and history of the Grand American here are some more information and pictures for you.  I will start with an aerial view to to show the length that shotgunshooter drove while taking the rotated 90 degree video.

With%20Camp%20sites_zpsmj9vqpvv.png

SI28-05-4L.jpg

Debuting in 1900 at the Interstate Park in Queens, New York, the Grand American was 10.jpgoriginally a four-day tournament contested in June. For the next 20 plus years the Grand American was staged in cities such as Chicago, St. Louis and Columbus until it made its home in Vandalia, Ohio from 1923 until 2005.

In 2006, the Grand American moved to its new home at the World Shooting and Recreational Complex in Sparta, IL. This state of the art facility features 120 trap fields extending for 3.5 miles making it the worlds largest trap line. To find out more about the WSRC please visit their website.

Since its inception, the Grand American has grown from a mere 20 competitors in 1900 to more than 5,800 participants in 2006. Over the years, the likes of Annie Oakley, Roy Rogers and John Philip Sousa have participated in the Grand American.

In its current format, the Grand American consists of 24 events spanning over an 11 day period. The first 5 days of the tournament are referred to as "Preliminary Days" in which competitors may fine-tune their skills prior to competing in the championship events of "Grand Week."

Not only is the Grand American the largest shooting tournament in the world, but it also offers competitors the opportunity to explore the most advanced products and services in the shooting industry. The WSRC is a spectacular site in itself. With more than 1,000 camping sites, 100+ exhibitors, and thousands of competitors, the Grand is more than a championship. It's a celebration of the sport.

The hub for all this activity is located in the Events Center. This location provides competitors with a sophisticated entry system, which incorporates computerized classification, handicapping, entry processing/cashiering and score reporting. A closed-circuit television network conveys event leaders, event results, squads on deck and messages to better inform individuals during their stay on the grounds.

Camp sites offering hook-ups and onsite shower facilities offer the thrill of camping on-site during the 11 day event. Many competitors end the day by joining friends at various campsites to share the day's shooting stories or to enjoy a cookout.

More than 100 exhibitors are on-site to provide products and services ranging from gun sales and services, to shooting accessories and apparel. Conveniently located near the trap line, these exhibitors offer a shopping-mall type atmosphere to shop for that special item.

Thanks. I've been looking for a map but the internet blows here. You still heading up this way today?

Wow. Looks like a great layout and would love to attend someday. Never shot much Trap/skeet. Only a few times many years ago.

Perhaps a new hobby? lol

It's worth the drive up here just to fondle guns and meet new people. You can demo just about anything you can think of shotgun wise and see guns that are worth as much if not more than your house.

9 hours ago, shotgunshooter said:

It's worth the drive up here just to fondle guns and meet new people. You can demo just about anything you can think of shotgun wise and see guns that are worth as much if not more than your house.

If I could work the time and the cost into my budget, I'd love to. But not possible this year.

I have always dreamed of designing and building one of the largest ranges ever built and keeping the price low enough that most families could afford to shoot on a regular basis. I would have never guessed there was a range 3.5 miles long; very impressive!

• Like 1