Active Shooter Training

Wouldn’t “active shooter training” be more philosophy than hands on training? I mean every situation is going to be different. It’s basically accessing your situation and neutralizing the threat. It might make a good discussion here.

FEMA has a class on “Active Shooter: What you can do”. But it’s only an hour long, so I’m guessing by the time they introduce themselves, tell you why you are there, and tell you to run or hide; the class is over.

• Like 1

It is something of both. I am looking at this from fire/ems/police side not civilian aspect. There are some training going around the country and was wondering if anyone on the forum might have had some training. The FEMA class is for something that happens at workplace, mall, etc. 

7 hours ago, shotgunshooter said:

Cruel Hand Luke or prag would be the ones I ask.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I could only address this from the civilian hospital worker side my friend.

But we had an excellent (albeit no gun class) put on by Oak Ridge PD back in May. Brandon Sharp is the DT instructor for the Department and a dialed in gentleman. iirc Brandon said their program stemmed from one put in place by Knox County.

I don't have direct contact info, but if you reach out to ORPD they should be able to help. Jeremy (Sgt. but I can't recall his last name at the moment) or Brandon...both good guys.

Hopefully Randy will have some additional info or suggestions for you.

Good on you for doing this Craftypoppa! 

I think you will find it depends on the department. Many years ago when I was a cop it was wait on backup, secure the scene, wait on a team (SWAT, etc.) to enter. I think many departments now simply have the first Officers on the scene enter and engage the shooter.

My role as a citizen today would be much different than that of a Police Officer. My role would be to take out the shooter without another citizen or the responding Police thinking I’m the shooter. But again, everything would depend on where I was, how many shooters, etc. My plan/actions would be much different if I was at work than if I was at the mall.

The role of those that are unarmed or unwilling to engage the shooter is pretty simple. Put as much distance between you and the shooter as possible. If you can’t run; hide as best you can. Grab your phone and get help on the way.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DaveTN said:

I think you will find it depends on the department. Many years ago when I was a cop it was wait on backup, secure the scene, wait on a team (SWAT, etc.) to enter. I think many departments now simply have the first Officers on the scene enter and engage the shooter.

I'm not a LEO, never was a LEO, never played one on TV, and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.... but I'm pretty sure that mentality changed with Virginia Tech....  First to arrive, get a small fire team (I'm sure civvies have a better term for it) and engage the shooter ASAP to disrupt their free access to the victims... That's why I think many of us were wondering (at first) why the LEOs waited so long in Orlando....

As a civilians, aren't we tasked with protecting ourselves and our loved ones....and thus probably not engage the shooter unless it's necessary to engage while we still have an offensive capacity?

i don't know.... That's why I think these dialogues and training are beneficial.... something always to be learned through constructive dialogue  

Last week I attended "Civilian Response Active Shooter Event (CRASE) presentation by Knoxville Division FBI".  It is the concept of Avoid, Deny, and Defend.  Lasted about 2 hours and had several presentations to include Columbine, Virginia Tech, and the nightclub fire which I believe was in Ohio.  It is what law enforcement is moving to in general and from what they have learned from previous events.  If interested simply call the Knoxville office and see where they can help you out.

This site might help you.

http://www.avoiddenydefend.org/community.html

Be "That Guy" In Your Community

Most of us strive to not be  "That Guy." Normally the term has a negative connotation associated with it and is to be avoided at all cost. And trust me, none of us wants to see you as the traditional "That Guy."  However, we encourage you to be  That Guy when it comes to understanding  civilian response to active shooter events - what to do until - and when law enforcement arrives. 

We want you to be That Guy when people need someone to turn to for information about how to respond to active shooter events.  We encourage you to read through this Avoid | Deny | Defend ™ information and share it with your friends, family, neighbors and community.   

We want you to be That Guy who shares this lifesaving, rational plan for Avoiding, Denying and Defending themselves when faced with an active shooter event. Remember that "hiding and wishing for it to be over" are never the most effective responses for survival. 

What you do matters. Spread the word.

Edited by DaveTN

I appreciate all the responses but what I am looking for is more information from the ems/fire/police side. I am working on trying to set up some standards fore  fire response. There is some good information from the civilian aspect but have not found as much from the other side of the spectrum.

6 minutes ago, Craftypoppa said:

I appreciate all the responses but what I am looking for is more information from the ems/fire/police side. I am working on trying to set up some standards fore  fire response. There is some good information from the civilian aspect but have not found as much from the other side of the spectrum.

Here is one coming up in Kingsport, TN.

http://www.alicetraining.com/events-tracking/kingsport-tennessee/october-11-2016/?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=ALICE_Sponsored_Kingsport_TN&gclid=CjwKEAjww_a8BRDB-O-OqZb_vRASJAA9yrc5jLfl2MxWyNcGy6HAuh0Vky84va67YOGtXJIeHZiIpxoCIzfw_wcB

And here is some info for Firemen

http://www.fireengineering.com/articles/2013/09/active-shooter-response-the-rapid-treatment-model.html