Another AK... Thoughts?

You know sometimes when you go to the gun store knowing you're going to buy something but you just don't know what? I had one of those days yesterday. Usually it's something specific I go for but yesterday I just had an itch to play eenie meenie. After handling a few single action cowboy guns, a M1A socom and a nice Henry Golden Boy .22lr I figured why not get an AK. I've had 2 WASR's in the past few years and kick myself in the ass for ever trading them off. So an AK was the only thing missing from my collection. I wasn't crazy about a folder. Especially an under folder but this one ended up following me home. I usually don't buy on a whim but sometimes it's just fun. Once I got home and did a little research on the gun it seems to be an ok rifle. I bought a couple Pmags and ran about 240 rounds through it. The sights were dead on (no canted sights horror stories). It's an N PAP DF. To my understanding it's Serbian made by Zastava Arms and imported by Century. Even though I've owned a couple I'm not known as an "AK guy" but I am very impressed with this gun so far. Does anyone here have any experience with this brand? Let me know, good or bad. 251d15b38d1eeba2e49a5adb835650d6.jpga56ce3bddc1e2568266cead3c4ddfa66.jpg

a8146f2a0273add625ea9cff878a21e6.jpg

• Like 3

No experience with the brand, but some with the stock vs. folder debate.  Once you get used to it, the under folder isn't bad at all, and the benefit of low-vis transportation options and/or easier storage is a nice offset.  If you're going to use it for anything where you might need to deploy the stock fast, get used to storing it without a mag inserted to save those few seconds.  Also, you might want to feel around, and file down any sharp edges you can find on the stock.  It's annoying if you cut yourself or find holes in your clothes where it rubbed while slung.

Edited by btq96r
  • Like 1
No experience with the brand, but some with the stock vs. folder debate.  Once you get used to it, the under folder isn't bad at all, and the benefit of low-vis transportation options and/or easier storage is a nice offset.  If you're going to use it for anything where you might need to deploy the stock fast, get used to storing it without a mag inserted to save those few seconds.  Also, you might want to feel around, and file down any sharp edges you can find on the stock.  It's annoying if you cut yourself or find holes in your clothes where it rubbed while slung.

I have noticed a few sharp points on the stock that I will probably smooth out. The stock was really stiff but now that I've folded it several times it's getting easier.

Welcome back to the dark side. We have cheap ammo, mags, and a huge surplus market. Congrats on the purchase. Imports are looking like they are going to get more expensive and less available do to all the crap going on these days. Let me know how the under folder works out for you. I've always been interested in one but couldn't bring myself to get one.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 2
The Serbians make an excellent AK.  The only thing it lacks that many others have is a chrome-lined bore.  Not really a big deal, IMO.

But the chrome lined bore (or lack thereof) is offset by being cold hammer forged and excellent quality.

The Zastava's are high quality excellently built guns. "Drawbacks" are the previously mentioned bore, propriety gas tube/HG/buttstock/top cover/piston. That being said, all those parts are easy to come by. It's just not a true AK/AKM.

• Like 2

Nice looking underfolder. I bought a Romanian underfolder from an individual a few months back and like it. Like you, I wasn't crazy about any folding stock, but like this one a lot. My stock is a little different from yours, but I can open and close my stock with a mag in the gun. I bought a sling at the gun show... a generic, so I'm still looking for the correct sling. A friend of mine, who is a better shot than I am, shot mine when I was checking it out, and hit a bowling pin at 100 yards, the first shot. So I think my sights are good too. I have another Romy "G" parts kit that I've had for years, that uses a regular stock. All I need to do is drive the rivets in the front and back trunnion to the receiver, and I'll have one with a regular stock. These things seem to eat any ammo you throw at them. Makes me wish I had more of them!