Looking for another backup gun -

AmPaTerry

I have no opinion on the Charter Arms Pitbull, but I have a strong opinion on ankle carry. If possible in a threatening situation, I am going run away. That's hard to do wearing an ankle holster. 

The one time I have needed a firearm in my life, I could have extracted myself from the situation had I not been wearing heavy boots because I could have easily outrun the two fat guys threatening me.  As a result of that incident, I seldom wear flip flops or boots in public. I wear old running shoes. Granted, many of my peers don't have this option because they can't run. 

Running isn't my first option, but I'd like to have it as an option before having to shoot someone. 

Edited by jgradyc
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, jgradyc said:

I have no opinion on the Charter Arms Pitbull, but I have a strong opinion on ankle carry. If possible in a threatening situation, I am going run away. That's hard to do wearing an ankle holster. 

The one time I have needed a firearm in my life, I could have extracted myself from the situation had I not been wearing heavy boots because I could have easily outrun the two fat guys threatening me.  As a result of that incident, I seldom wear flip flops or boots in public. I wear old running shoes. Granted, many of my peers don't have this option because they can't run. 

Running isn't my first option, but I'd like to have it as an option before having to shoot someone. 

I don't choose to run away.  I choose not to escape a dangerous situation.  I choose to stand my ground.  I have been in a situation where a BG was running straight toward me, and I was armed with a Winchester 12 gauge pump.  I raised the barrel and fired a round over his head.  He kept coming.  I pumped in a fresh round and lowered the barrel to his midsection, prayed to God to NOT make me kill this young man, and started squeezing the trigger.  God answered me, in that this guy turned away from me, and ran off into the woods.  Perhaps it is NOT the right attitude for a preacher, but I will shoot a man before I run from danger.

I sincerely hope that such a situation never arises again, but IF it does, I will stand my ground.  I have been there, and I KNOW what I will do.

6 hours ago, AmPaTerry said:

Hmm.
I placed this order from Buds Guns on Wednesday.  They shipped both holsters on Thursday.  As of today, they have not shipped the gun - -

The last time I ordered from Buds I got my shipping notice the day after my FFL had the gun. biggrin.gif

I have ordered from them several times. 3-4 days is all mine have been. Although I have heard of others taking longer. I assumed mine was so fast because we are so close.

• Like 1

I got an e-mail from them explaining that nothing was wrong with the order, they are just swamped.  It looks like an automatically generated piece - probably sends on any order that has not been filled within three days.

I think the threat of the Hildebeast is selling even more guns than Obozo has done!

On 8/10/2016 at 11:50 AM, AmPaTerry said:

Dave, I had checked every arms dealer within 50 miles, and one of them could even get this gun in for me.  I sure appreciate the heads up about Buds; I ordered it this morning, along with an ankle holster and a belt holster for it.  Shipping, tax, insurance and both holsters brought the price up to the MSRP listed on the Charter Arms site.  LGS will charge me transfer fee and background check fee.  I PREFER to purchase from my LGS, but with the effort I have put out for over a year to get this gun, I figure it is time to do something different.

Glad to help. I too try to buy local, but they just haven’t seemed to have the stuff I have wanted the last few years. I just scored a hard to find shotgun at Buds on Saturday; just got an email that it will be at my FFL’s tomorrow. They have been a good option for me lately.

• Like 1

I have never had much luck with ankle carry.  I have tried to make it work and really WANTED to make it work, but in the end decided it is not right for ME.  I have also come to the realization that I end up trying/buying several holsters for each weapon before I find one that I like.  And sometimes one configuration for one weapon does not work for me for another weapon.  SOMETIMES I decide that a configuration will NOT work before I wear the holster very much but usually I end up unable to return and toss it in a drawer.  Good luck with your desired weapon/holster configuration--but for ME, it never works that way.

• Like 1

I got it last Saturday, and have gone over it.  I have NOT done any formal sighting in with it yet, but have cleaned it and tried it in both holsters I bought for it, and put a few rounds through it just to see how it feels.

First, I do not like the waistband holster.  The spring clip is so ridiculously tight that I can not get the holster on at all without taking my belt off, then clipping the holster to my jeans waistband, then dragging the belt back through it.  And it is not that comfortable, no matter where I place it.  It is a Bianchi, the workmanship is great, the leather is beautiful - I just don't like the feel of it.
Second, I love the ankle holster.  It is a Blackhawk and has a band that goes high on my calf, then a strap down to the holster to hold it in place vertically, while a separate strap on the holster holds it stationary.  It is very comfortable, and I find that I walk normally with no interference with my other ankle - which is what I expected would cause a problem.
Third, I love the little wheel gun.  The finish looks to be bead blasted, and is very well done.  The reviews that ranted about how difficult it was to load were WAY over-exaggerated.  I found that by the third cartridge I had found the exact angle and tilt that allowed it to slip perfectly into place very quickly. 
Firing it was very pleasant - the molded cushion grip absorbed the recoil very well, making it much more pleasant to fire than either the Bodyguard or the LCP, which are my previous backups.  Granted, they are MUCH smaller, but this one on my ankle is LESS trouble than either of those in a pocket holster.
As I said, I did not set up a target and rest and go through formal sighting in at a distance, but there was a piece of poplar bark about 6" by 4" in the lawn about ten feet from the porch where I was shooting, and I danced it with each of five rounds, ending up about 15 feet away.
One little issue - extraction was a bit of a problem.  I had to tap the ejector rod just a bit to get the casings to budge - but once they started moving, the extraction was complete and without issue.

So, I am ready for winter carry - I wear shorts spring, summer and fall -
But I need another holster for carry with shorts. 
Of course, that has to wait until my better half forgets I already bought one for that - -

Glad to hear you like your new piece and found a comfortable way to wear it, at the end of the day it is what makes YOU happy, and comfortable. 

I am from the school of thought that you should carry what you feel will work best, and if you train with it and take care of it, it will be the best for you. No one is a soothsayer, and there isn't enough virgin blood to drink or rain dances to do to predict any situation.

Let us know how it continues to do for you - and any experiences. It seems online people just make up all sorts of things or complain about issues that are hardly issues at all for gun reviews.

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...

Any small gun would be ok as an ankle carry gun.  The most popular is a S&W Airweight .38 or the Ruger LCP.   For me a back up gun is just not going to happen.  I don't go into any areas that would require a back up and I am not a LEO.  I like to travel light.  To each their own I guess.