Reloads at auction

23 minutes ago, hardknox00001 said:

So I'm perusing an auction site that has a bunch of reloaded .45 and .223 among other sizes, and I got to wondering just how safe one considers buying reloads in this fashion.  What say you?

What type of reloads?  If they are from a reputable company (remanufactured), then no issues.  But if they are from Joe Bob,  then I would either pass or if cheap enough, I would pull the bullets and reload with a known powder and charge.

Edited by Omega
Speeling
  • Like 1
7 minutes ago, Omega said:

What type of reloads?  If they are from a reputable company (remanufactured), then no issues.  But if they are from Joe Bob,  then I would either pass or if cheap enough, I would pull the bullets and reload with a know powder and charge.

I am a reloader.  I have never had a KB of any sort from MY ammo.  However, I DID have a round of Ultramax .223 splode my very first AR about 9 years ago.  Split the upper from front to back, blew the mag out of the gun and blew the bottom out of the mag.  Thankfully I was not hurt, but the rifle was toast.  The dudes at On Target found my dust cover a few weeks later down at the far end of the range.

I'll shoot my reloads, but not someone else's. 

• Like 2

So I was at the range a few weeks ago and in the trash can I found 450 loaded 9mm. They looked good, So being brave I tried one and sure enough it was a squibb. I took them all apart and most of them had little or no powder in them. I just reloaded the bunch with my powder.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Raoul said:

So I was at the range a few weeks ago and in the trash can I found 450 loaded 9mm. They looked good, So being brave I tried one and sure enough it was a squibb. I took them all apart and most of them had little or no powder in them. I just reloaded the bunch with my powder.

I won't lie, I've shot left over rounds from ranges before; though never encountered that many.  I have even fired some 30/06 rounds I found in a lake in en block clips (about 20 full clips) though not the ones with significant rust.  But I have never knowingly purchased any reloads, even when 300Blk was hard to find, I waited until I could find the proper powder instead. 

I've shot a lot of reloads from North Georgia Reloading. They have great prices, and are local to me. They also reload with Hornady JHP that I use in my Marlin 44mag for hunting. I've never had a problem with their ammo. Other than that, I'll only shoot my own reloads for the reasons already mentioned.