Who's getting ready for dove season?

I'm going to hit the fields this year for the first time in probably 30 years. So, I'll ask a 2 part question.

1. Does anyone know if TWRA still leases dove fields in the Hamilton County area so hunters can have easy access to fields? I've looked online but can't seem to hit the right key combo to find out anything.

2. What is your favorite dove recipe?

• Like 1
I'm going to hit the fields this year for the first time in probably 30 years. So, I'll ask a 2 part question.

1. Does anyone know if TWRA still leases dove fields in the Hamilton County area so hunters can have easy access to fields? I've looked online but can't seem to hit the right key combo to find out anything.

2. What is your favorite dove recipe?

Can't answer 1 but can tell you 2. Marinate in Dale's then wrap in bacon then grill or marinate then slice breast to put jalapeno and cheese then wrap in bacon and grill.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
1 hour ago, shotgunshooter said:

Can't answer 1 but can tell you 2. Marinate in Dale's then wrap in bacon then grill or marinate then slice breast to put jalapeno and cheese then wrap in bacon and grill.

Dale's makes the world a better place! As does bacon... 

Actually, I think that recipe can/should be used on everything!

Wrap dove breast in thinly sliced bacon, place in pyrex dish and cover with white sauce (similar to Béchamel) and bake in oven or on Green Egg.

Very Rich tasting and takes lots of wine and/or beer to eat all of it.  First time i had it this way was in east TN while in college and stayed at a friends house in Johnson City and ate all we shot that day.  Our wives got mad that we didn't bring any doves home.  Drank scotch then.  Next year brought them home and wives were very happy. 

4 minutes ago, bud said:

Come on now, let's all admit no one really likes dove meat.

Also, anything you have to soak in Dale's to make taste "good", isn't worth eating.

Part A:  true dat....

Part B: those are fighting words! You must be a Yankee....or worse, a Damn Yankee...  

(although I just may admit that the high salt content in Dale's, which allows it to break down fats and enzymes just might me critical in lower quality meats.....)

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, bud said:

Come on now, let's all admit no one really likes dove meat. :stir: 

Everyone's favorite recipe is always: 1 part dove meat + 1 part whatever it takes to cover up the taste of dove meat.

Also, anything you have to soak in Dale's to make taste "good", isn't worth eating.

I will concede that the only dove I eat, are stuffed with jalapeño and wrapped in bacon. Most of the time I just give them to the neighbor, so I don't have to clean or eat them. Fun to shoot though! 

:biglol:  Ya know. After doing some recipe searches I think you're correct. I didn't see one recipe that even mentioned grilling them with a little butter :stare:.  They all said marinade for upteen hours in everything from dales to apple cider vinegar with hot sauce :yuck:, wrap in bacon until the breast don't show and bake or grill with jalapeños. I'm thinking this is one of those things you wrap with bacon, cook, then just eat the bacon. I read one place that says dove is a migratory bird like ducks and geese and have nothing but dark meat including the breast. I tried duck once. I didn't get past the first bite. I may just stick with quail. I know how good those are. I probably can't hit a freak'n dove anyways.  LOL 

Edited by Randall53
8 hours ago, bud said:

My parents both enjoy dove just plain grilled, but it was an acquired taste I'm sure. Probably an acquired tolerance is more accurate.

Dad has always been an avid small game hunter, and starting from nothing, we grew up eating dad's squirrels, rabbits, and dove. 

With the way I shoot most days, what was a cheap meal for dad to feed his young family, costs me as much as buying sirloin steaks, what with my 2 birds per 1 box of shells shooting average. Haha 

Wich brings up my recipe. 

Good ammo! Good ammo!

remington hull, Winchester primer, ,27gr winchester WSF, federal 12s3 wad, with 1-1/8 oz 7.5 shot. 

Low pressure & 1400fps. Can take out birds others don't even pull up their guns for. :)

Edited by xd shooter
My parents both enjoy dove just plain grilled, but it was an acquired taste I'm sure. Probably an acquired tolerance is more accurate.

Dad has always been an avid small game hunter, and starting from nothing, we grew up eating dad's squirrels, rabbits, and dove. 

With the way I shoot most days, what was a cheap meal for dad to feed his young family, costs me as much as buying sirloin steaks, what with my 2 birds per 1 box of shells shooting average. Haha 

If I cook it I don't mind it plain but I personally prefer deep fried. It for sure is an acquired taste and I could do without all the Dale's but hey life's short so live it up.

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, shotgunshooter said:

If I cook it I don't mind it plain but I personally prefer deep fried. It for sure is an acquired taste and I could do without all the Dale's but hey life's short so live it up.

I've cooked most of my adult life and actually prefer my own cooking. The wife does good with most things but game is something I do myself. I tried Dale's one time and threw the rest out. I don't know anything that dale's would make better. 

• Like 2

I grew up hunting about anything their was a season for beginning with Squirrel / Dove which were I lived both opened on same day and then went into Rabbit, Pheasant and Quail. Then Duck and Goose season. By age 12

I was a pretty good hunter. I always brought home meat and kept freezer stocked. Now as far as the cooking went that was all left up to my mother and she could make any of it taste great regardless of what she made. When we moved south in 1966 I added deer to my game list and dropped Duck and Goose because of the what I considered stupid blind draw regulations TWRA had. I have not been hunting since 1990 when my health went down hill and I do miss it but still have all my memories of all the good times I had listening to my beagles on trail of a Tennessee cotton tail. 

• Like 1

Found it best to call TWRA about two weeks out and ask for your area or any close to you,they normally have info by then,also ask about rest of month as they open other fields on weekends.  You can also check for private paid fields,they can be great.

The real question is who is willing to offer their honey hole to a good man like myself. I am in Bradley County and have always had trouble finding good shoots. We have the Hiwassee refuge, but have to use steel shot (no thanks). Anyone have private land they would trust to have people on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

TWRA never posts the fields until the week of the hunts,having the fields harvested before sept 1 dosent always happen due to life or weather,also tree huggers baiting fields have been a issue.red wine- tenderizer-pepper marinate for 4 hrs ,wrap in bacon and grill over some hickory wood,hope you find a great spot to hunt

On August 3, 2016 at 11:10 AM, Randall53 said:

Looking for a dove field to hunt? Here is a link that shows where the public hunts will be across the state! More are being added daily so check it daily!
https://www.tn.gov/twra/article/dove

• 2 weeks later...

Couple of dove recipes...

Chicken Fired Dove Nuggets

chickenfried-dove1.jpg

INGREDIENTS

• 3 dove breasts cut into 1/4 inch pieces
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
  • 1 cup sifted flour
  • 1/4 cup Panko breadcrumbs
  • Canola oil
  • 1 egg
  • Chopped fresh chives (optional)

DIRECTIONS
Cut dove breasts into 1/4 inch thick pieces.  Mix flour, Panko, garlic powder, salt, pepper and thyme in bowl. Beat one egg in separate bowl. Heat cast iron skillet to Medium-high temperature and add canola oil to cover bottom of pan.

Add dove to egg mixture and then toss in flour. Place dove in oil and fry on both sides until golden brown. About 2-3 minutes each side.

Serve fried dove nuggets with Sriracha ketchup, ranch or nothing at all.

Dove Kebobs

dovekabob.jpg

• 12 – 16 doves, breasts only (will yield 24 – 32 dove breast halves)
  • 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
  • 2/3 cup prepared barbecue sauce
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1 Tbl dried oregano leaves
  • 3 Tbls lemon juice
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 Tbl sugar
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 2 bell peppers, any color, cut into 1 – 2 inch squares
  • 1 large onion, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
  • 24 small red “creamer” potatoes
  • 8 medium mushrooms
  • olive oil
  • salt and pepper
  • wooden or metal skewers

Instructions

1. Combine Worcestershire sauce and next 8 ingredients and stir to blend. Place dove breasts in a non-reactive container and pour 1/2 of the mixture over. Toss to coat doves, cover and refrigerate for 2 – 4 hours. Place potatoes in a microwave-safe bowl with 1/3 cup water. Cover with plastic wrap or paper towel and cook on high for 12 minutes. Place in cold water to cool and then drain thoroughly. Place peppers, onion, potatoes and mushrooms in a bowl and lightly coat with olive oil, salt and pepper. Place alternating pieces of dove, pepper, onion, potato and mushrooms on skewers and grill over medium-high heat until doves are rare to medium-rare, about 4 – 5 minutes total cooking time. Serve with reserved marinade for dipping.
Edited by KahrMan

Can't help you on the field thang, but cooking.......

Marinate in soy sauce & Chinese 5 spice for 2 hours.

Stir fry with sugar snap peas, bamboo shoots, water chestnut & baby corn for 2 minutes, lower the heat & add the marinade plus 4tbsp of sugar & 3 of honey. Cook for 10 minutes or until the sauce is reduced & sticky. Stir in ½tsp of chili flakes, 2tsp sesame oil & garnish with white sesame seeds & cilantro.

Put that on your head & your tongue'll beat your brains out to get to it.

Edited by robtattoo
  • Like 2

Most of the leased fields are on the website now. I haven't seen many this year, hoping that the corn that's being shelled this week will make a few show up.

"So he cocked both his pistols, spit in the dirt, and walked out in to the street."

On August 3, 2016 at 9:24 PM, bud said:

Come on now, let's all admit no one really likes dove meat. :stir: 

Everyone's favorite recipe is always: 1 part dove meat + 1 part whatever it takes to cover up the taste of dove meat.

Dale's is terrible.

I like my dove in jambalaya. 

I work with a guy that cooks everything in dale's and thinks it's the best thing in the world, I feel sorry for him and his family. 

• Like 1