Scary Incident Last Night

KahrMan

You know we bitch and moan about people driving and talking on the phone, texting, reading emails, etc.  And when they pull over to do it safely we automatically think its ISIS here to diddle your goats? If it's a public street in a public neighborhood then anyone has a right to park on it, at any time.  If you want to perch in a lawn chair at the edge of the grass, that's fine too, but you have zero right to approach the car with a weapon on the public right of way.  Now, doing so may or may not be illegal depending on the weapon and how you are carrying it, but I'd suspect the action is not advisable from my standpoint.  March around the neighborhood long enough looking for an opportunity to "defend" it, and you'll surely find one....just ask George Zimmerman.  

• Like 11
10 minutes ago, Lumber_Jack said:

You know we bitch and moan about people driving and talking on the phone, texting, reading emails, etc.  And when they pull over to do it safely we automatically think its ISIS here to diddle your goats? If it's a public street in a public neighborhood then anyone has a right to park on it, at any time.  If you want to perch in a lawn chair at the edge of the grass, that's fine too, but you have zero right to approach the car with a weapon on the public right of way.  Now, doing so may or may not be illegal depending on the weapon and how you are carrying it, but I'd suspect the action is not advisable from my standpoint.  March around the neighborhood long enough looking for an opportunity to "defend" it, and you'll surely find one....just ask George Zimmerman.  

Absolutely agree, overall... 

ISIS, probably not.. They're here and will make the world a worse place until they are aggressively obliterated... But they aren't interested in yours or my neighborhood... 

Thieves / meth-heads and such.. different story. LJack nailed it...  Someone suspicious in a vehicle?  At most call the LEOs. It's probably nothing, and the lady in the OP should probably be commended for pulling over to take the call. She might have picked a bad location, but she pulled over... safe driver discount...

The guy (Zimmerman Mall Ninja wannabe) approaching a vehicle on a public street with a rifle that isn't slinged was pretty much asking for trouble... or to get shot...  And if he was shot, the story would have gone like this,  "I was pulled over to take a phone call so I would't be a distracted driver... I was pulled over on a public residential street... then this man came up to me with a rifle pointed at me.. Damn straight I was scared for my life... "     The chances of it even making it to a grand jury (let alone a prosecution or trial)???  Pretty slim.. 

Metro made the right move.handling this in a perfect manner. I wish they handled more cases like this especially w domestic violence where anyone can claim anything and get someone locked up w zero proof of anything.

They got her story, sent her out of harms way, and knocked the door to follow up. Incident referred to detective division. Perfect.
AG assault? Maybe ? lots of things to consider. I'd rather see someone proactive than passive WITHIN Reason... Both sides...

Pointing a gun at a woman walking in the phone sitting in her own car on likely a public road?

Uncalled for.

Checking up on a random car sitting in the neighborhood to see what's going on?

That's fine.

If it is an overreaction how come three cops had two pistols and an AR to go question the guy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think what you are misunderstanding is the fact that f'ing around in people's driveway is a good way to get shot. As many thieves around these days that there are, you just never know anymore. The way I see it, you've got to either confront them or kill them, no in between.

• Admin Team
39 minutes ago, conn_air7 said:

I think what you are misunderstanding is the fact that f'ing around in people's driveway is a good way to get shot. As many thieves around these days that there are, you just never know anymore. The way I see it, you've got to either confront them or kill them, no in between.

You can't be serious?

• Like 3
52 minutes ago, conn_air7 said:

"... and then parked on the street in front of a house."

Umm, what driveway? 

• Moderators
49 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

You can't be serious?

35 minutes ago, SWJewellTN said:

"... and then parked on the street in front of a house."

Umm, what driveway? 

For those (everyone) that thinks conn_air7 is going to be the next George Zimmerman, here's the story. Our job entails us driving around the county looking for things. We turned around in one man's driveway, mind you simply turning around, and he confronted conn_air7, and this was the general statement that the man made:

F'ing around in people's driveways is a good way to get shot. (At this point, explained what we were doing and why we were there). The man continued to express that there are thieves that steal stuff around there and he isn't afraid to confront or kill them.

All of this being while driving a well-trusted community company vehicle with strobes and markings.

Edited by CZ9MM

And my wife wonders why I'm very hesitant and particular about pulling into random driveways to turn around. 

How long did you sit there to give this guy time to come out and confront you?  What were you doing that you didn't see him soon enough to big out before he got to the vehicle?

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, peejman said:

And my wife wonders why I'm very hesitant and particular about pulling into random driveways to turn around. 

How long did you sit there to give this guy time to come out and confront you?  What were you doing that you didn't see him soon enough to big out before he got to the vehicle?

She had been there about 10 minutes.  She pulled into a very nice little neighborhood thinking it would be a good place to talk on the phone.  She was deep into a phone conversation and just said not notice him walking up.  Remember, most people do not have the situational awareness most of us have.  

1 minute ago, KahrMan said:

She had been there about 10 minutes.  She pulled into a very nice little neighborhood thinking it would be a good place to talk on the phone.  She was deep into a phone conversation and just said not notice him walking up.  Remember, most people do not have the situational awareness most of us have.  

Not her, CZ and con air. 

• Moderators

Less than about 30 seconds. He was standing on a ladder fiddling with a tree. We saw him before we pulled in.

That being said when he started walking towards the truck, out of respect, we waited for him to get to the vehicle to explain what we were doing as typically everyone we run across asks us various questions regarding our job. We didn't know he was going to start off so aggressively.

6 hours ago, CZ9MM said:

Less than about 30 seconds. He was standing on a ladder fiddling with a tree. We saw him before we pulled in.

That being said when he started walking towards the truck, out of respect, we waited for him to get to the vehicle to explain what we were doing as typically everyone we run across asks us various questions regarding our job. We didn't know he was going to start off so aggressively.

Strange indeed. 

• Like 1
It didn't make me mad. It just had some of us thinking you're a jackwagon who would like to lie in wait at night to kill someone breaking in to your shed. That's how it sounded without the back story.

No harm, no foul.

Haha, this just made me laugh. I wouldn't call myself Jason or Freddy, but who knows, someone might.

For 40 years, I've stressed to my wife:

If she's driving and she has to stop for any unanticipated reason... flat tire, engine problem... Immediately, her priority should become her own safety. It's no longer about getting the flat fixed or getting to wherever she was going. Too many bad things can happen when people sit in cars on the side of the road. 

If I understand the original post, this woman was sitting in a car for over 10 minutes

• ...at night
  • ...in a darkened neighborhood
  • ...with no drive by traffic or people around
  • ...with the interior light on so anyone outside could see that it was a woman by herself talking on a phone?

If this was my wife in this situation, I'd suggest she tell the caller, "I'm driving right now. I'll call you back in 10 minutes." Do not stop your car in a strange, unlighted location.

Edited by jgradyc
  • Like 2