PM9 or CM9

A.J. Holst

I'm pretty familiar with the manufacturing differences between the two and why a $250+ price difference.

What say you?

I've got an MK9 and the internet has led me to believe the magazines are compatible across these 3 pistols. True or myth?

There are times something lighter than the MK or an SP would be nice.

I had a PM40 which is REALLY close to the same size. I really liked it, I have looked at and held the CM series in a gun shop and I wouldn't have one. PM series just feels like a quality piece in your hands. CM not so much. As well as the other benefits of the PM over the CM, which you are aware of.

No offense to CM owners, it's still a great gun itself, the PM is just more.

I will keep the extra money every time and get the C models when adding a short barrel kahr. Same frame and I don't care about extra aesthetic touches on p models, mim parts on 9mm or rifling difference on short barrel.  

Yes, mags will work in k,p,c models if it is long enough for the grip and same caliber.     doesn't take much to shove a 1911 mag in c or p 45 models. 

Edited by ohell
  • Like 1

I have both, the CM has been as flawless as the PM, though I have a lot fewer rounds through it so far.

Note though that if you get a precisely molded Kydex holster made for the PM, the CM is just enough different that it won't fit right.

- OS

I have a CM9 that is carried in a RJ Hedley (Lisa) leather holster in front pocket.  I have never owned a PM9 but from what I understand the barrel rifling is the bigger difference and both shoot equally well.  PM9 has polygonal rifling like Glock and CM9 is conventional rifling.   I would rather fight than switch.  Lol

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Oh Shoot said:

I have both, the CM has been as flawless as the PM, though I have a lot fewer rounds through it so far.

Note though that if you get a precisely molded Kydex holster made for the PM, the CM is just enough different that it won't fit right.

- OS

I have been a PM9 fan since I shot yours. I never did quite justify dragging up the money for one. The CM9 is a different deal. I may spring for one of those if it feels the same as your PM9

10 hours ago, mikegideon said:

I have been a PM9 fan since I shot yours. I never did quite justify dragging up the money for one. The CM9 is a different deal. I may spring for one of those if it feels the same as your PM9

Yeah, feels about the same, both remarkably gentle for such a small heater. Some claim it has to do with the offset feed ramp allowing lower bore axis. Or something. :)

- OS

• Like 1

Only way I'd get a PM was for the black finish and night sights. I carried a CM9 for 3yrs religiously, it never failed, was light and plenty accurate, I paid $359 plus tax. I regret selling it. It is smaller than most the micro 9's. I won't be buying another(yet) since the 43 is on my list now. 

1 hour ago, Jct1911 said:

Only way I'd get a PM was for the black finish and night sights. I carried a CM9 for 3yrs religiously, it never failed, was light and plenty accurate, I paid $359 plus tax. I regret selling it. It is smaller than most the micro 9's. I won't be buying another(yet) since the 43 is on my list now. 

Why, because it's a Glock? (it's bigger, with same capacity -- unlike the Kahr, just that much too much larger for most folks to pocket carry comfortably).

- OS

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Oh Shoot said:

Why, because it's a Glock? (it's bigger, with same capacity -- unlike the Kahr, just that much too much larger for most folks to pocket carry comfortably).

- OS

I like the trigger better on the 43. I have one of them. But, as you said, it's not a pocket gun

4 hours ago, Oh Shoot said:

- OS

Yes-ish. I only shoot 2 kinds of auto-loaders right now, 1911's and Glocks. The 43 will be just like all my other Glock triggers, keeps things simple. That was the only reason I got rid of the Cm9 in first place, too many triggers to master. If another company with better ergos made the selection Glock does, I'd own them. The one unicorn is the 10mm, gen 4 brought me back into the fold. I was completely Glock-less for about 3years after getting rid of my G3 17. 1911's are natural for me, no work to shoot or be comfortable, but they don't fit weight and size wise into my daily routine well. I've shot and tried the Sig 938, it's not a 1911, the safety is short and hard to click off like standard 1911 and lacks the grip safety. At this point, I have to at least "try" a 43.

eta: I don't pocket carry, so the slightly larger profile doesn't apply. IWB only. 

Edited by Jct1911
  • Like 1

I have a PM9 with the black nitride and night sights, purchased before CM9 came out.  I find it barely works for pocket carry in my situation.  

Honestly if I was buying now I would choose the CM9 assuming it is at least as reliable as the PM9.  I have no issues with my PM9...cant say the same for my P380.  

With Kahrs you have to buy and try to see what you have.   With Glocks you can almost guarantee you will not have an issue.  However I have a Glock 43 and the only time it is pocket gun for me is when it is in its holster in my large sweat pants pocket lounging around home as my "gun I have on me even at home".

Too big for out and about pocket carry for me, while the PM9 is usable as pocket carry.

I have a G43 and a PF9. I still find myself wanting something smaller (i.e., shorter grip since that's want prints on me). I've been thinking PM/CM9, Solo or even P938. I just haven't compared side by side to see the size differences. The G43 conceals really well, but sometimes it'd be nice to stick it in a pocket.

Given the choice of the Kahrs, I think I would go CM9 over PM9 as long as I could get good night sights for the CM.