My new carry blade

4 hours ago, peejman said:

Cool. What's the notch near the handle for?

wikipedia says this

Kukri blades usually have a notch (karda, kauda, kaudi, kaura, or cho) at the base of the blade. Various reasons are given for this, both practical and ceremonial: that it makes blood and sap drop off the blade rather than running onto the handle;[6] that it delineates the end of the blade whilst sharpening; that it is a symbol representing a cows' foot, or Shiva. The notch may also represent the teats of a cow, a reminder that the kukri should not be used to kill a cow, an animal revered and worshiped by Hindus.[citation needed] The notch may also be used as a catch, to hold tight against a belt, or to bite onto twine to be suspended.[original research?]

• Like 1

Very nice.  Is that one from the Ex-Gurkha Khukuri House in Nepal?  The sheath looks like one of theirs.  If so, I have read good things about them and have thought about looking at getting one but have never been able to directly ask the opinion of anyone who owns one.  I honestly don't know what the heck I would do with one but that doesn't stop the wants from happening.  The EGKH supposedly makes theirs out of old leaf springs from trucks, jeeps, etc. 

Did yours come with the small knife and the blade sharpener also included in the sheath?

Edited by JAB
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, JAB said:

Very nice.  Is that one from the Ex-Gurkha Khukuri House in Nepal?  The sheath looks like one of theirs.  If so, I have read good things about them and have thought about looking at getting one but have never been able to directly ask the opinion of anyone who owns one.  I honestly don't know what the heck I would do with one but that doesn't stop the wants from happening.  The EGKH supposedly makes theirs out of old leaf springs from trucks, jeeps, etc. 

Did yours come with the small knife and the blade sharpener also included in the sheath?

it came with two small knives dont know which is which, but it came from atlanta cutlery http://www.atlantacutlery.com/p-959-assam-rifles-kukri.aspx

Cool.  Thanks for the link.  From what I have seen folks doing with them on YouTube - using them largely as big chopper type woods blades - those kukri's are pretty amazing.  Of course, the Gurkhas who carry them are pretty danged amazing, too.  Here are a few links to stories about them that are almost unbeliveable but, apparently, all true:

In 2010 a just-retired Gurkha single-handedly fought off 40 bandits and would-be rapists on a train with nothing but his kukri (and a set of 95 pound, stainless steel cajones, IMO):

http://www.hoaxorfact.com/Inspirational/indian-gurkha-soldier-fought-40-armed-bandits-alone-and-saved-a-girl.html

During WWII, Gurkha single-handedly held off an overwhelming force of Japanese for four hours, killing over 30 of them, with a bolt action rifle - after having his right hand blown off by a grenade thrown by the aforementioned Japanese.  And while doing all of that he was heard by injured comrades, who were unable to aid him, taunting the Japanese by yelling, "Come and fight a Gurkha!":

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1338429/Gurkha-Lachhiman-Gurung-Victoria-Cross-hero-dies-aged-93.html

That is part of the reason I'd like to have a kukri even though I don't know if I'd even find a use for it - just because of its association with those brave individuals and other Gurkhas like them.  Heck, maybe some of their badassititude could even rub off on me.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, JAB said:

Cool.  Thanks for the link.  From what I have seen folks doing with them on YouTube - using them largely as big chopper type woods blades - those kukri's are pretty amazing.  Of course, the Gurkhas who carry them are pretty danged amazing, too.  Here are a few links to stories about them that are almost unbeliveable but, apparently, all true:

In 2010 a just-retired Gurkha single-handedly fought off 40 bandits and would-be rapists on a train with nothing but his kukri (and a set of 95 poiund, stainless steel cajones, IMO):

http://www.hoaxorfact.com/Inspirational/indian-gurkha-soldier-fought-40-armed-bandits-alone-and-saved-a-girl.html

During WWII, Gurkha single-handedly held off an overwhelming force of Japanese for four hours, killing over 30 of them, with a bolt action rifle - after having his right hand blown off by a grenade thrown by the aforementioned Japanese:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1338429/Gurkha-Lachhiman-Gurung-Victoria-Cross-hero-dies-aged-93.html

That is part of the reason I'd like to have a kukri even though I don't know if I'd even find a use for it - just because of its association with those brave individuals and other Gurkhas like them.  Heck, maybe some of their badassititude could even rub off on me.

same reason why i wanted one!

17 hours ago, JAB said:

I ordered three of them from the Kukri House as wedding gifts about five years ago (one for my best man, one for my wife, and one to keep for myself) and they are pretty nice knives. I bought them as collector pieces more than anything (I haven't chopped down any trees with them) but they were razor sharp and seem to be well made. I don't have any regrets about the purchase.

• Like 3